1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inexpensive Program?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Katy2, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Katy2

Katy2 Member

I just purchased a second-hand JVC GR-DVM5U mini-dv camcorder. I would like to produce some fun/interesting movie cd's for family & friends and am at a loss as to which authoring program I should try.
    I'm looking to spend no more than $125. on software. While this may seem "tight fisted", understand that I would be just beginning.
    I would like to get "my feet wet", see how I like it and if I wish to progress...later in the future, would consider a better camcorder and software.
    Until then, I would like to start small and yet not be limited to a overly basic program. Thus, would like some room to grow.

Pinnacle studio looks interesting, yet I see some many negative reviews in regards to this product. Then there is Sony Vegas ($80. version) which receives good reviews.
    Are there similar programs, at around this price range that would be worthy of my consideration?

Secondly, I have heard others mentioning to stay away from the all-in-one programs. If I chose separate programs, which should I consider?
    Currently, we have Roxio CD 5.0 for burning. Admittedly, I've never used it-my husband does.

I do have some experience with Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop, so I am not completely unfamiliar with creative software. However, I have NEVER tried anything for video.
    I'm still looking into the hardware that I'll be needing. That's how new I am to this. ;-)

Any advice and/or opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks much for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
    ~Kate

2. Katy2

Katy2 Member

Lest I forget, I have heard that it's best to put video software on a seperate hd, not on your O.S. hd. Is this good advice?

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

basic programs like sony vegas are good, and if you are just doing simple edits, it would probably look find. if you're interested in a professional full-blown video editor, then adobe premiere pro is a great choice, however thats more like $500.

Another decent basic one to look into whicb I know people who use and like is called Eve (Easy Video Editor) by Main Concept. Not sure how much it costs, but I'm pretty sure its quite inexpensive

4. Katy2

Katy2 Member

This doesn't blow me away (price) and an avenue I probably would take, should I find a thrill in taking and editing video. ;-)

I just checked and yes, you are right-it is inexpensive. Thank you for pointing this software out. Tomorrow I will see if I can find any reviews about this program.
    Thanks again djscoop, I appreciate it.

~Kate

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

no problem, hope you find a program that works for you, good luck with your editing projects