1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info regarding sound or other queries within (NO CODE REQUESTS/code POSTING)

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by fergusrb, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

why dont you design your own receiver anyway m8 I am of time for a couple of pints.

happy viewing,

KMACDON

2. richy6976

richy6976 Regular member

have one for me just watched the rugby what a bag of poo see ya later

3. MAINAMN

MAINAMN Active member

poor game , however best team of tourny won ...

4. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

Totally true ferg, you get what you pay for.

5. eamo32

eamo32 Regular member

Hi KMAC, as far as I know, you don't need a splitter for this functionality, it's built into the box, something called loop through. It would look something like this

cable in --O O loop out

loop in O O-- tv out

So you plug your cable into the top left connector, this gives you 1 channel, then a short cable from loop out to loop in, this gives the second channel, and the connection to your tv.
    People, don't respond by saying the cable goes in bottom left or whatever on Starview PVR, it is just a schematic to show the setup.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  6. karljd

karljd Regular member

KMACDON cant seem to open the 452 453 454 files maybe im missing something any help would be really appreciated

7. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

Cheers m8 for the info as I say I dont have pvr yet but a friend of mine does. Good info for the future :)

8. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

you need to use gtrom loader 4.03

9. karljd

karljd Regular member

Thanks mate not with it today should have checked back threw previous posts cheers

10. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

no problemo

11. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

If people were to believe what Adrian Weckler wrote in an article in the Sunday Business Post yesterday, you would believe that the writing is on the wall for the Starview box.

He mentions how U** (new owners of N** and C*****) and Sly (which I find hard to believe) are growing increasingly concerned at the number of free digital boxes accessing their subscription based content. The reason I don’t believe Sly are getting concerned is that it’s a lot harder and more expensive to find something that works as easy as the box in terms of hacking the U** channels. He mentions that U** have been working hard recently on finding an alternative system to fend off these boxes, but it will be sometime before a workable solution will be released.

I’m sure the owners of UPC are very concerned at the minute with how easy people are finding it to access the channels, but they also seem to be aware that they will never prevent everyone from doing it. Apparently they aren’t after the odd enthusiast who trys to gain free TV. It’s the ordinary joe soap they are targeting now. Those that wouldn’t know where to turn if their boxes stopped working all of a sudden. In fairness to N**, the last few updates they made, had a big affect on joe soaps perception of the boxes. People I have spoke with now have the opinion that the starview boxes no longer work. So for me that was a successful campaign for N**.

Adrian also goes on to state that there is a misconception by people selling these boxes, that it is not illegal to do so. He even goes as far as mentioning the act that apparently proves that it is illegal to sell the boxes. Well in one way he is right and in another he is not. When you buy the starview boxes from the manufacturer, they aren’t able to automatically pick up the scrambled channels. You can’t even access a hidden menu to turn on the ability to do so. So it is up to the user to give the boxes the ability to “hack” the channels. They do this by downloading new firmware from the Internet, that allows them to turn on secret menu, which in turn allows them to turn on a key cracking functionality within the firmware.

In terms of U**’s attempt at bringing in a solution that will render the boxes useless, I’m personally unsure how successful this will be. Most encryptions used by TV companies have been hacked at this stage and anything new won’t take that long for the hackers to break. But in saying that, it’s not Mary down the road that’s going to have the knowledge to do this, it’s back to people in the know.

Anyway, I think Adrian should have done a bit more research into the starview and other boxes before making his assumptions surrounding it’s use. Even a few hours spent researching how they function would have made it a more informative article.

And so say all of us amen let this be an end to speculation and scaremongering

12. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

That was an interestin read ferg. If they do design some sort of encryption to stop hackers. Something else will be designed to by pass that also they will never win the battle but you have got to give them somthin for tryin and good luck to them I say

13. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

I think we give them enough in the subscription we have to pay them what more do they want we not getting nothing we are not entitled to if the had a proper charge for the channels people would not have to resort to these tactics and everyone would be a winner all round but what they are asking for in subs to me is extortion no wonder nobody gives a damm about them as they dont care less about their customers they could do with sending all the telephone staff to customer relations classes we used to have to put up with that back 20 yrs ago but we dont any longer

14. moon11

moon11 Member

well said fergus your saying what the majority of people think about n## there service and price.continue the good work and thank you.

15. KENJWT

KENJWT Guest

Hello,

I am new to this, please be gentle.

I live in Dublin.

A friend of mine has a Starview with version 4.00 on it, prior to this he had some trouble with software updates, auto rolling, clones etc, but now everything seems fine.

However the new Starview The Box is out now, I dont know whether to go for the older model or the new one.

Are all issues sorted with the new Starview The Box?

Are people selling cloned Starview The Box?.

Can any one suggest who is a cheap, safe and reliable person to buy some Starviews The Box from?

Thanks for your assistance

KENJWT

16. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

I would recommend The Box simple reason for this is that continous support will be available for it but not for Starview1 gen1 or 2.

Although they are basically the same with a few minor improvements which you will find in previous posts.

17. karljd

karljd Regular member

Well said fergus as usual spot on

18. cactikid

cactikid Active member

well said fergus,as i say to everyone these boxes are audible and visual enhancers[ you get better sound and picture quality from these over ur prehistoric cable company !]

19. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

I am only saying what everybody else feels and wont put it down on paper that company has got away with murder over the years wont answer the phone and when they do the staff are so unhelpful just like the other government bodies used to be now it is the other way around the government bodies and staff cant be helpful enough and it is the cc company that are doing all the unhelpful things now well i say we dont and wont put up with any more crap from them now or in the future we pay a sub and when we ring we expect a service and a helpful one at that the staff could be more courteous and more helpful and maybe arrange there service calls better at time that suite the customer come on this is the 21 century we live in and not the 70 or 80 when you would expect this they need to change with the times and offer a 24 hour service 7 days a week at times the suit the customer maybe then they might get some respect

20. cactikid

cactikid Active member

maybe we should start sending the crap [stinky one ] to the cc to raise a stink ha ha lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.