1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info regarding sound or other queries within (NO CODE REQUESTS/code POSTING)

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by fergusrb, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fergusrb

fergusrb Guest

no bother scouser 2 heads better than one dont worry about talk back they wont even miss you they have so many customers

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Cheers Ferg. Kmac you only need talkback for VOD and updates. When you want VOD just unhook it, place your order and put it back after you have viewed and in regards to updates by VM they are far and few beween either way.

3. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

I have a 3db attentuator going directly into box the forward path equilizer is unplugged so do u reckon the anttenuator should be at the point of enter and the equaliser at the box? I see on www.te*hne*ix.co.uk higher db what would you recommend?

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Is the attenuator off your subbed box and if not where did you get it? Yes the booster should be at the point of entry. But I did say you needed a variable booster combi attenator. This has a slope path that you can adjust the gain on yourself, so you can adjust the Db level by hand.

Dont believe every site you visit :)

5. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

I got the attenuator by looking at the small print on the booster provided by the ca*le provider as it has the brands website which I have stated in my last post I can only guess they supply the providers. I have contacted the above and they are happy to supply in small quantities but if you can recommend a variable 1 i will happily give it a try

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You can get them at Maplins or Argos. What is confusing me is you seem to have a separate attenuator and booster set up, neither of which offers any sort of manual variable settings. So you are stuck with their Db budget settings.

7. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

I have placed the forward path attenuator 3db at the entry point of the house and the forward path equalizer 4db to the RF on the starview box itself hopefully this will sort the issue until I pick up a variable.

Cheers for both of your help its about time I learned more about the hardware mesa thinky

8. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

You say you are confused lol my head is up my ar*e now ha ha but 1 will learn the ways.

Good night all and happy viewing

9. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Not as confused as you had me :) Goodnight.

10. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

Sorry to be a pain in the ars* but I still dont really understand the difference in the following and where each should be placed, please explain in dummy terms:

Forward Path attenuator whats it for and where should it go?

forward path equalizer whats it for and where should it go?

I have been offered a variable attenuator 0-20db from ebay for £6 is this a good price?

11. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Dont worry about the anttenuator and equalizer just take them out of the equation and use the variable attenuator and yes £6 is a good price. Although the best one by far is the Konig one but thats about £24 plus p&p.

12. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

Heloo Sc0user,

I seen the konaig 1 it is a bit expensive I will take your word and exclude the equalizer etc but could you explain what each of them are for and where they go its for future reference.

Cheers,

KMACDON

13. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

OK you asked but this is the easiest way I can explain them.

An attenuator basically wastes power, to deliver a required level to the STB. The forward path equaliser attenuates the lower frequencies more than the higher frequencies. The RF network itself tends to attenuate the high frequencies so at the headend the high frequencies are given a little more power. But once you get to the home you want roughly level signals from all frequencies, and if the lower frequencies levels are too high as the network has attenuated the high frequencies too much, the equaliser is designed to level them out.

14. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

So do you reckon I should remove tha forward path anttenuator from the entry point and replace it with the variable gain and also remove equalizer from the set top box?

15. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yes as there is slope control on the variable attenuator you will be able to manually adjust the levels. If your are still having problems let me know.

16. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

I will do cheers for the info.

17. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

I am back lol, Until I get the variable would I be better puting the equalizer at entry point since it boosts lower signal levels to see if it helps any and the forward path anttenuator at the spliter on the rf for the STB the line was split by provider for the broadband also.

18. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

The equalizer just makes you signal more consistant, (it doesnt boost anything as such), if there was an imbalance and this stays at the STB.

When you get the variable booster you can take these away. The best one in my opinion on the market at the moment is this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CABLE-TV-BOOS...3569695QQihZ010QQcategoryZ39804QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  19. KMACDON

KMACDON Regular member

Thanx m8 I now have a better understanding I will see how the cash goes and maybe try the signal booster you kindly sent the link on.

20. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

No bother its over and out from me so good luck with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.