1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inkjet cartridges (HP models) vs Epsons

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by GaryBlais, Apr 26, 2005.

1. GaryBlais

GaryBlais Guest

I'm considering a new color printer, mostly for digital photos and the issue of ink cartridges arises. Some models like HP use a 6-ink cartridge that must be replaced when one color is used up, wasting any remaining inks. Other models like some Epsons and Canons use individual ink cartridges that can be replaced separately as they are used up. My question for anyone who owns a model with individual cartridges is: in your experience, do the colors run out together or nearly so, or do certain colors run out well before others?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go with the individual colors.

3. maliaus

maliaus Guest

If you are using this printer mainly for photos, you can not get any better then Epson for printing photos. HP is good, but Epson is best. Look into getting the Epson 2200. It uses 7 cartridges and they only cost $11 approx. online. You can not beat the quality of this printer. If money isint an option I strongly sugget the Epson 4000 if money is a factor the R300M / C82/84 does a fantastic job. Check out this site for digital printing tips

http://www.zowillieproductions.com

4. RobinME

RobinME Member

In my opinion *new* Epson printers give better quality output than HP printers. As the use increases though an HP tends to be better than an Epson. The reason for this is that the print head is changed on each cartridge change on an HP, but not on a Epson.

Be carefull when comparing consumable prices. Epsons may look cheaper to run, but every time you change a cartridge ALL levels are shown lower. Unless you change the whole set at a time you can waste about 1/16 of the ink just by replacing empties!

(I supply inks in the UK http://www.hornetcs.co.uk)