1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

install cd burner in xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by madmiles, Aug 8, 2004.

1. madmiles

madmiles Regular member

hey i have a cd burner i'm not using anymore because i installed it in my pc, but then got a dvd burner. so i was wondering if i could install it into my xbox. and also if i would be able to burn cds with it. my box is modded with an xecuter 2.3b lite and i'm about to upgrade my hard drive to a 120gb. the cd burner is a samsung. and is there any possible way to just replace the xbox dvd drive with this drive? and if not are there any cd/dvd burners out there that you can replace the xbox dvd drive with? hit me back.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2004
  2. i0wny0u

i0wny0u Member

dont you need to be abel to play dvds in order to play x box games so what you would need is a dvd/cdrw drive and im not shure you can burn cds with it once its in your x box

3. madmiles

madmiles Regular member

yeah it can play dvds too. but i mean if i install linux, the xbox is just like a normal pc right? so why wouldn't you be able to burn cds?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  4. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

the problem isnt always the software , but the firmware

5. madmiles

madmiles Regular member

i don't think i understand.

6. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

the dvd drives for the xbox (samsung, philips, thompson) all have specific firmware so its plug and play for the xbox, even the hacked drives that are made for pc, (ie samsung 616)that people put in their xbox, have firmware upgrades. The xbox, unlike a pc, doesnt have a plug and play operating system such as windows etc. Therefore will only allow drives to be used that have the specific firmware, or that CAN be "upgraded" with the firmware.
    In the case of the Samsung 616 drive, which ISNT an xbox drive, but CAN be used as one, can be used if updated with the firmware.

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ignorance isn't bliss.....It's just costly![/small]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  7. madmiles

madmiles Regular member

can my cd burner be updated with the firmare?

8. mess1

mess1 Regular member

Yes you can install it ans yes it should work, provided there are drivers for Linux.

FYI, the fact that your Xbox firmware does not detect it has absolutely nothing to do with wether or not Linux can use it as a CD-Burner. There is absolutely no reason to update any firmware.

I have a feeling this will not be a trivial task. Bear minimum you'll have to modify the power cables and the Xbox enclosure in order to fit it in the Xbox. Good luck with it though.