1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

install nero in raid 0 drive?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mozzaok, Apr 14, 2007.

1. mozzaok

mozzaok Member

I have finally managed to install raid0 on my new system with an old 80gb sata1 seagate drive as my C: drive on which the OS(XPsp2) is, and most other apps will be installed. I set up 2x 250GB sata2 hdds (WD2500KS) in raid0 on the JMicron/Gigabyte Sata2 raid controller in the hope of speeding up encoding time, and also potential streaming down the track. I am ready to reinstall nero and was wondering if it would help if I did that to the D: drive which is the sata2 in raid0/striped with 64k cluster size. I am unsure how that may or may not effect the efficiency. Any ideas will be gratefully received, thanks. (Any tips on setting up for optimising this configuration with other apps would also help)

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

mozzaok,
    I wouldn't think that installing Nero on any of the drives would matter. I would install to the 80GB HDD as well as other apps to keep 'em all on the same drive. Just me, I like stuff in one spot if I can manage it. :)

As far as running your encoding on one drive or the other. You can always assign your "encoding" folder to the raid0 drives and keep that process in "one" spot too. Sorry I'm not very technical on these matters but that's the way I see it.

btw what progie are you running for your "encoding" sessions??

Nero Recode, DVD-RB Pro, DVD Shrink, or some other app?? Just curious to see what your planning to use. :)

....gm

3. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    You can put what you want on the raided drives.
    Myself I'd have all on the raided setup & use the 80GB for downloads & utils.
    In your case put Nero on the raid.
    As well put paging file file there too. Just have a small page file on drive C:\ to act as a key to main page file on raid.
    Doing this will help to keep your setup as fast as is possible.

4. mozzaok

mozzaok Member

Thanks guys, greensman, I mostly use nerovision for my encoding, sometimes I use shrink or decrypter but mostly nero. The only one I tried that I thought was also good for a one click alternative was convertxdvd. I haven't tried "rip it 4 me" but I will check it out.
    Thanks zebadee, I was planning on using the D: drive which is the 500gb raid0 array as a media library of sorts. Accumulate all my movies music and photos there and then a little later setup for streaming around the house. I have read that striped drives help when streaming, what I wasn't sure of is when encoding if I set the source and destination to run in the raid drive should the application doing the work be on the same drive too? Or is it irrelevant where nero is in this setup? Your tip about the page file is exactly the sort of thing I need to know, thanks for your advice.