1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Install problem. What to do???

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Deadrum33, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

My brother tried a format and win XP install and got all the way to the 25 digit ID, his key didnt work because he bought the computer from a friend and all the other proprietary stuff. So instead of win XP, he bought win PRO, and now I can't install his new disc beacause win XP is 90% loaded and win PRO loads on boot and theres always a fatal error. Any ideas?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Start all over -- Reformat the disk and install the Pro version he bought this time.

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I thought the same thing. I set BIOS to boot from disc, and when I try the new disc to use as the boot it is not recognized as something different untill I get the fatal error. When I put the old disc in the one I originaly used to format it, it is recognized as the disc thats half installed and picks up where it left off. I think I might need to connect the hard drive to a system that works and use disk manager to format it then put it back in the other system to try again. I havent found a workaround yet and have tried everything else.

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The PC you trying to setup ---- is it a brand name ? Most of them require a Recovery Disk .. not a regular Microsoft Windows Disk.

5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

It is an old Compaq and I was able to use a recovery disc without the OS to get it back to the blue screen and installed. My brother was happy because he crashed the computer a week B4 the great money maker called Christmas when some learning software for his 6 year old was a major gift he got her. Everything is OK, for now........

6. johnodd4

johnodd4 Guest

funny are youusing a legal copy of windows xp a lot of illegal copys of windows xp have surfaced across online stores and companys and when these copys are mad you cannotboot from the cd at all because there is no boot file

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Registered and everything. Thanks for all the support everyone.

8. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Enjoy your Christmas ..Deadrum33 !!

You should be ok now !