1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installed HD : Operating system not found

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mossfan18, Jun 1, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I just installed a WD hard drive in a older model HP 8755C that runs ME on it. I finished the install but have a problem, or at least a question.

When the system booted up it goes to a black screen and "operating system not found" appears as the message.

Does this mean I need to reinstall ME or have a made an error on the HD install? Another problem is that I don't have the original ME installation discs but rather ME recovery discs which was all that came with it.

What should I do from here?

2. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

if your booting to the hdd then there is a problem with your os install, you will have to do it again. if the disks are the original that came with the new purchase and the system is pretty much the same the recovery disks are what was installed software wise on the system (os and other programs). However if too many things were changed on the system then the recovery disks may not work!

3. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

The PC doesn't even attempt to recognize the ME recovery discs. I just got the black screen with the message "operating system not found" on it.

The only thing changed on the sysatem was the HD install.

Can I buy a Windows XP Home Edition and install it instead of the ME which was originally installed.

4. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Yep that would work fine. XP home in my opinion is better than ME. Keep in mind that XP home does not have the networking capabilities or the security capabilities of PRO. Just some advice if you plan on sticking with windows and you can afford it get the PRO version it's more versatile than HOME is.
    Oh forget to put this in before the edit. If your in the US try newegg for the OS. you can get the oem version cheaper than the retail price BUT you have to buy like a hdd to do it. Better to spend the the same amount and get a new hdd then to buy retail and not get a new hdd!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007