1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing 2 Hard Drives

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Walls206, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Walls206

Walls206 Guest

I Just bought a new hard drive and i was wondering if there was any way i could combine it with my old hard drive to make it like one big super hard drive if not what are some suggestions i should do with my 2 hard drives.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, you just leave the one hard drive where it is and hook the second one up as a slave drive. That is if your PC's IDE slot can support two, which most can. The IDE cable you have may even already have the second hookup and power supply.

3. vegeta66

vegeta66 Guest

hes talking about a raid array where 2 hard drives act as one, but it'd be to much trouble, it'd be a better idea to just use it as a second drive to store extra data.

4. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

hi, i have an old 40gb hard drive i salvaged from one of my sony computers and i'm trying to install it onto a more newer sony desktop than the one i threw away...it has an extra hard drive tray for me to put it in, it doesnt exactly fit but thats besides the point...when i connect the power cable and slave cables to the 40gb hard drive and boot up the pc i get a message saying something like "boot disk error insert system disk and press enter" does that mean the 40gb hard drive is broken and i should throw it away, or is there a solution?

Thanks in advance.

5. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

You got the jumpers installed correctly? Original hard drive as a master and the second as a slave.

6. Ph0BoLuS

Ph0BoLuS Regular member

yes, i got the jumpers installed correctly.