1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a 7200 rpm Maxtor HD would it overheat?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by blackrain, Jun 16, 2004.

1. blackrain

blackrain Member

Should I install a cooling fan in the box or should I not worry bout it. Some say I should and others say don't bother. Whats your opinion on the issue. Thank you for the help

2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

its real easy to mod the fan that already in
    there is 2 wires for the retail xbox fan, a red and a black, smip the black wire and solder it to the metal surrounding the motherboard
    this allows the fan to run at a much better 12volts
    the fan is actually a higher voltage fan than is used for in the xbox, so it wont damage it in any way.
    Also I cut a hole at the back of the hdd tray, just behind the ide socket of the hd, all the width of the tray, this allows for better flow , as the fan doesnt cool the hdd much , DUE to the tray that is there.
    Remember a fan works not by blowing cool air in, but by sucking hot air out, therefore creating a continual flow.
    I get temperatures of 43c (cpu) 39c (mo/bo)
    they rarely change, if so its minimal
    I have a seagate 80gb hd , although it is a 5400, if you mod the fan as I said, and also the hdd tray, Im sure you will be fine.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

7200rpm drives dont typically get excessively hot unless you run them with a lot of disk activity for 10+ hours nonstop at a time. If you are concerned about heat but dont want to get a fan, get a 5400 rpm drive as they run a lot cooler and Xbox's dont require that much in terms of transfer speed :)

4. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Im with pra on this one, I never actually bother with 7200rpm drives, no real need for em.
    But Id still increased the voltage of the fan on a bigger hdd.

anyone want a jolly rancher?