1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Ruddy, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Ruddy

Ruddy Member

I keep running out of space on my Hard Drive, I have an additional 80gig drive laying around from an old computer, it has Win XP pro on it already, so If I make that drive my slave would there be any problems with the two drives having the same OS? Also after I make it the slave drive how can I get rid of the OS to free up more space?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you have your existing drive as master, and the second drive as Slave (make sure the jumpers are right), your PC should boot off the master automatically. If it doesn't, go into your BIOS and you can change the order in which the motherboard searches for bootable devices. Put the master drive before the slave.
    Once you're in windows, you should simply be able to browse the slave drive and delete the old windows directory. If you don't wish to back up any settings etc. off it (or already have) then you can also delete the directory 'Documents and Settings'

3. andmill11

andmill11 Regular member

When i put my new drive in i just right clicked on it and formatted it. It didnt have anything important on it so i just deleted everything.