1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a new hard drive with AID 3.0

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Ian1324, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Hiya all, I've bought the duox2 chip from mrmodchips.co.uk (http://www.mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_23&products_id=135&osCsid=a4f91ac12c2b503d619d7531599785f5) and I've downloaded AID 3.0 from xbins.

Below are some pictures, the first shows everything I have after extracting AID and the other 3 show the the 'BIOS', 'BIOSCD' and 'BIOS Extras' folders respectively. I've resised the images to 640x480 to comply with the forum rules.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now then, I'll be getting the chip fitted by a guy whos installed loads of duox2 chips, however, thats all he'll be doing, he wont be installing the new hard drive or even installing a bios, so it looks like I'll have to do that myself.

What I would like to know is which bios do I need for my chip, and how to install it, then once the correct bios is installed how to I go about burning AID 3.0 and setting up my new hard drive?

I am a complete noob when it comes to xbox modchips (or all modchips for that matter cause I use swap magic with my ps2) so if anyone could explain in a simple way how to do this I would be very thankful.

Cheers, Ian

2. theridges

theridges Guest

i believe the duox chips come pre-flashed with the cromwell bios so what i would do is go in to the Bios Cd's folder and extract the X2 512k 5035 Bios(make sure you choose the one according to your xbox model) and burn the image to CD with Nero or Alocohol 120 and pop it on and flash the bios, off the cd its very simple.....

for the HD Upgrade after you have flashed the bios,burn AID 3.0 the main
    program onto DVD or CD if you dont have a DVD Burner....then hook up the larger HD...put aid 3.0 into the xbox and boot the console...when AID 3.0 loads you will be prompted to format the new HD if its a large HD i would enable the F Drive when it asks...after that just use AID 3.0 to install whatever dashboard you want i would suggest unleashx or avalaunch to the E Drive....and you will be ready to go...if you have any problems just ask

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2006
  3. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Thanks for the reply, I have a version 1.1 xbox so could you tell me exactly which bios to burn, also I assume I have to extract the files first and then burn them onto a data disk?

Also the hard drive is 20 gig and is an old PC harddrive with files still on it, will it work with the xbox?

Cheers for the help

Ian

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  4. theridges

theridges Guest

when you click the bios cd's and go into 512k look for the one that says x2 5035 v1.0-v1.5....just make sure it dont say 1.6 anywhere.....and about that older HD it may work it may not,but a 20 GB HD will only be able to hold 10 games at the most...and since its older it might not lock....

5. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Cheers for the reply,

I was under the impression from reading vaious threads and tuts on this site that a chipped xbox will work with any hard drive locked or unlocked, also, I wont be wanting to put games on in, mabey a N64 emulator and some roms, but my old xbox hard drive had surreal64 and about 150 roms on it with just the standard 8 gig hard drive.

Also, although my xbox was softmodded, I have no idea of xbox modding, as i bought the xbox off ebay already softmodded with the emulator/apps etc..

Cheers,

Ian

6. theridges

theridges Guest

that was my mistake you are correct with a chip it dont matter i forgot you were using a chip becuz i deal with so many softmod's....

7. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Thanks for the help man :)

8. redd187

redd187 Member

where did you get AID from. I'm having a hard time getting it.

9. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

I eventually had to use the torrent file supplied from xbins.

To connect to xbins I used this tutorial:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/368866

then I downloaded the small torrent file, which I opened in bitcomet and downloaded that way

Hope this helps,

Ian

10. theridges

theridges Guest

isohunt.com search auto installer deluxe and it finds it asap....

11. regime

regime Regular member

how do u install a HD with aid 3.0 w/o a modchip?

12. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Well, from what I gather...you can't, I may be wrong, but theres a reason I finally ended up buying a modchip its because everyone I asked on these forums told me you need it.

Mind you, I havn't actually got mine in yet, I've got the chip, the hard drive and AID but I havnt paid the guy to set it up for me yet lol.

From what I've heard the standard MS hard drives are locked (hence why you cant put them into a PC), and PC hard drives are unlocked, so in order to put a new hard drive in you need a chip, cause with a chip in you can put unlocked hard drives in the xbox.

I'm really a completely novice to all of this, and im sure someone like theridges will come along soon and give you a full explaination, or you could search the forums, thats what I did.

Hope this in some way helps.

Ian

13. regime

regime Regular member

im bein guided as we speak

14. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

alright mate, if you find a way of doing it without needing a chip, could you PLEASE post back or PM me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Ian

15. regime

regime Regular member

lol i think there is, cuz my friend said he did it, i ono if it was b4 r after he had it modded, but ill tell u man

16. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

Cheers dude

17. regime

regime Regular member

damn it boots for him but not for me :-( (the xbox hdm dos floppy)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  18. Ian1324

Ian1324 Member

damn, well like ive said, I rekon your best bet it just to get the duo x2 chip, i got it for about £12 from the link in my first post in the thread. I've also just got a standard PC hard drive which I plan to fit it.

Also, dunno if this will help, but if you've got slayers 2.6 install disk (you can get it from xbins, its outdated so I wouldn't erally recommend it), theres a step-by-step guide showing how to set up a new hard with slayers 2.6 if you cant work it out with AID 3.0.

http://www.teammodders.com/viewtopic.php?t=672

I would be able to help you as far as that goes, cause I'm just giving my mates dad my fucked xbox, a new hard drive, my chip and AID and he's gonna set it all up.

19. regime

regime Regular member

man i dont wanna go out n get a mod chip cuz i kant use my atm card to make purchases, and then id have to WAIT if i do money order arrrrrrggg!!!, id liek to just get da shit done wit

20. regime

regime Regular member

thing is i kant really do nothin wit my xbox cuz i got a 16 error on the new hd im tryna install (which is normal) n i got a error 06 on the stock HDD, and i cant seem to fix that by hotswapping, cause it doesnt work