1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing a program without the CD

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tgbarnes, Mar 29, 2005.

1. tgbarnes

tgbarnes Guest

Anyone familiar with installing a program thats been copied to your HD from a CD so that it won't look for the CD during installation? I often copy application programs from the CD to my HD so that when I need to install them I don't need the CD in the CD-ROM. CDs often get scratched or in some way damaged and can fail to install if a file can not be read. I copied a progam to my HD sometime ago and recently tried to install it but it asked for the CD. Problem is I can't find that CD anymore. Outside of buying or borrowing that CD again, does anyone know of a workaround procedure?

2. haimback

haimback Regular member

use a program such as deamon tools or alcohol 120% - you can create a virtual drive and make the system think the cd is really in the drive.You will have to make an image of your program to do this, again use alcohol to make the image.

3. ringofire

ringofire Member

I am trying to do the same thing. Can you do this with the Alcohol demo? When I try it it creates a MDF and MDS file. What do you do with those? In the help section there was something about a cd clone in the image making section. Its not there in my demo version. Is there supposed to be an icon for the program you can just click on to run it without the CD in the drive?
    thanks!!!

4. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

The MDF or the MDS (one of the two I don't remember which) should mount onto your virtual drive. If I remember correctly it just another programs version of cue and bin files.

5. ringofire

ringofire Member

I got as far as mounting on virt drive. But it still said looking for the disc. Then when I tried again it did nothing. Think I did something wrong?

6. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

From what I read, it can be 2 things:

Either 1, you are installing a game, and you need to set the encryption method on Daemon.

or

Either 2, you should start from scratch.

BTW...have you had a chance to take a look at the guides. Haimback definately knows what he is talking about, but you should also check out the guides so that you always have info to refer back too.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/alcohol120guide.cfm

;)

Haimback, you going to be in irc tonight?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  7. tgbarnes

tgbarnes Guest

Thanks for the advice an Alchohol 120. Seems like a great program. I'll try it on my Encarta disc which is another program that requires the original disc to install and not a copy. But I'll still need to do some more research on Alchohol 120 or some other program because my problem is I don't have the original disc anymore and when I copied it to my HD I probably didn't get that sub chanel data that may have been on the original nor do I know what protection the original disc had. When I used Alchohol 120, made an image and mounted it on the virtual drive then ran it, I still get the message saying "having problems reading from disc, call customer service". If Alchohol 120 is still the answer, perhaps I need more help with emmulation. By the way, is there an english version of ClonyXXL? I downloaded one and it appears to be in German.

But again, thanks.

8. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Here you go tg,

Sorry, I had a link to the English site, but it isn't functioning anymore. My suggestion is to get the original, which I am assuming you have. And I thought there was an option to change the language. But maybe not.

Also, if need be, you might want to try Daemon tools. Since you got the Alcohol, might as well get Daemon!

Hope it helps!

;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  9. haimback

haimback Regular member

just to clarify im a bloke :)

10. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hehe...sorry about that...I just didn't want to assume!

;)