1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Installing an old version of Chrome browser

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Ketola, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

I was recently approached with the following problem:
    Suggestions?

I think getting old versions of Chrome is next to impossible due to the way Chrome installs are streamed from Google servers, and the fact that it auto-updates itself quite keenly.

The only alternative I can think of is trying to find a suitable version of Chromium, the open source build of Chrome.

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

For example here is a build from May:

https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-snapshots/index.html?prefix=Win/272511/

If the automation software only checks the browser version string and refuses to work, you could work around it by using an add-on that switches the user-agent string of your browser.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

just googled chrome v36 and lo and behold a download link came up on afterdawn.should be able to delete v37 and install v36.it likely wont load user profiles tho as it is an older version.if im missing something here tell me tho.lol

3. Ketola

That's actually how I was approached with the question - unfortunately Google has forced all 3rd parties to take down all versions of their software, so the old installer isn't available anymore.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

i just downloaded it 5 min ago???

5. Ketola

Must be a bug somewhere then. =) The download probably just gives the streaming installer, which automatically installs the latest version.

6. aldan

aldan Active member

ah ok,i didnt actually install it (i use comodo dragon) i just went to the first step,confirmed the version and hit cancel.on another note,i wonder if your poster could use dragon since it is a chrome based browser and you can download older versions.its certainly more secure than chrome,and not as nosy.

Ketola likes this.
  7. Ketola

Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a viable alternative. If it's a compatibility problem with a newer version of Chrome, that should certainly help. I would be surprised, though, if they had made such changes to Chrome/Chromium that would break pages, unless there's a very specific type of proprietary add-on that is being used or something like that.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

now im curious.let me know if it works.going to sleep now.late,even for me.lol.cheers

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

10. Andrew Snowball

Andrew Snowball Newbie

Yeah, thanks guys for your help (I raised the original query). As far as I can tell, all chrome download sites now redirect to Google's most current version (!) Sad really. Including filehippo.

We can't use Chromium or frig the version with plugins, our automation testing software is VERY fussy. We've managed to find a v.35.dev which seems to be working at the mo.

But anyone who can source v.36 please gimme a yell.

Ta,
    ~AS.
    btw. the "Disable developer mode extensions" popup thingy is REALLY p*$&@#ing me off too. Any with help avoiding that would be great.

Ketola likes this.
  11. Ketola

Apparently this is an enforced "feature" of Chromium that affects all unpacked extensions, and cannot be disabled.

I guess getting a working, packed version (i.e. via Chrome Web Store) of the automation testing software extension is not an option?

P.S. Nice signature. =)

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

my bad then the link to view & download older versions usually works,seems not for all,old version.com only has high as v26,there is an option at old version.com to request non listed versions

i have chrome 33 as a .exe not sure if its a dev

i have chrome v36.0.1985.143 m installed right now if thats any use,i can zip it up from the progams folder assuming it will work if drag n dropped to where it needs to go

13. Andrew Snowball

Andrew Snowball Newbie

I could've said EBCDC, only I doubt anyone would know what I was talking about

14. Andrew Snowball

Andrew Snowball Newbie

Actually, that would be cool. I'm pretty sure I could drop the files right in on top.
    Could you stick it in DropBox - or somewhere - for me, not sure my client will allow a ZIP file to be emailed.
    ~AS.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  15. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

my upload has finished however it looks like it's unneeded besides ddp's is only 10mb download mines at minimum 200mb; actual size for both versions is 400mb at 200 ea

17. Andrew Snowball

Andrew Snowball Newbie

Thanks guys. I tried your link, ddp, but the archive seems corrupt once I get into it. Could be our firewall has mangled it. Not sure.
    ~AS.

18. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Its not the firewall i can't get it either & when & if dl starts it stops with error

ok it appears you may be able to download whatever you need as it seems there's sub categories listed as wel in the left columnl,i was just expecting to clik link & download will begin,maybe coz its i have the mega plugin in firefox or something,anyway you can download by right cliking in either column or use the drop down thing to get to a lower folder if you want to get to a specific file or folder,regardless i've manually setup individual dl or the whole lot

v36.0.1985.125
    https://mega.co.nz/#F!WQswWKaQ!pPKrTkL_uEwYTv_w829zrQ

v36.0.1985.143
    https://mega.co.nz/#F!DQVlRDJZ!MrqFDAyGWi0ioo4Onqjn9w

complete Google folder contents
    Chrome
    CrashReports
    Google Earth
    Update
    https://mega.co.nz/#F!bUEAELCQ!wo9i1uR7LmaWi-AFqz2VLQ

or just chrome application folder with both versions & .exe shortcuts
    https://mega.co.nz/#F!aYlgkDjK!cip83Jp8MVreNJFDvP2M6g