1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Heatsink

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gerb68, Jun 18, 2007.

1. gerb68

gerb68 Member

Can anybody please help with this question.
    I'm building my first PC and I have all the parts ready except the Video Card which I'm waiting on(looking around for the new Radeon HD 2900XT) and may take about two weeks.
    My question is, Is it OK to start installing the Heatsink or Is it best to install when I'm near ready to powering on.
    Mainly, If I install the Heatsink(Zalman CNPS9700 NT) now and do not power on for over two weeks will this affect the Thermal paste, Artic Silver 5.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

install it as doesn't matter if not powered. just 1 more thing done before installing new videocard. also if have a pci videocard then can power up the system to make certain everything is alright.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thermal Paste isn't messed up by sitting out of the tube on your CPU for ages, it's if you have to take the heatsink off and put it back AFTER the CPU has been powered on for a while, then you'll have to replace the arctic silver, but left cold it'll be fine. Nice heatsink by the way!

4. gerb68

gerb68 Member

Thanx Alot.