1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

installing new hard drive on a Dell -- clips needed??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by karen2003, Dec 11, 2004.

1. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hi everyone. Our semester is finally just about over so I finally have time to visit these forums again.

Well, I just bought a new Maxtor hard drive at Staples today -- 250gb, great deal, etc. I take it home and try to install it myself (yes, I finally got courageous enough to explore the inside of my computer and found that I liked learning how things work in there) but the instruction manual says, and I quote, "Mount the hard drive in the 3.5-inch bay using the screws provided." That's it. Well, the problem is that there is nowhere TO screw the hard drive -- i.e., there's nothing to attach the screws TO on the inside of the computer. My other hard drive (c:) is attached using green clips, which are themselves screwed onto the hard drive; the clips then just slide into the bay. Anyway, I called Staples and they said, "oh, we don't carry those clips, maybe Dell does, but mostly you just can't add anything to a Dell." I thought, hmmm, that doesn't sound right. I went to Dell's web site and under accessories they sell the Maxtor drive that I just bought -- so clearly there's a way to connect it. Where do I get those clips??? Am I missing something??? Any help would be appreciated even if I'm missing something basic and am going to feel like a dope. Thanks in advance.

2. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

P.S. My signature in the above post was wrong since my hard drives crashed ... I replaced the 20gb with an 80gb and am trying to replace the 250gb that had been partitioned into f: and j:. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Remove the screws and clips and transfer them to the new drive. They should line up with the new drives holes. Are the drive dimensions the same?

4. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. My c: drive is a brand new 80gb one that replaced my old c: that crashed; the new Maxtor drive is supposed to go in the old drive.

Aaggh, wait, did you mean take the clips off the hard drive that crashed? That makes sense ... boy I feel dumb. Of course that hard drive is in my campus office so I can't check to see if it will fit, but I expect it will.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I'll try it & report back!!

-Karen

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ianski7, she is trying to add a 2nd hd to system as it is going to be drives f to j.
    karen, take one of clips of your 80 gig drive & take it around to different computer stores to see if available, also contact dell to buy a set of clips

6. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Thanks to both ianski7 and ddp. ddp, it looks like our posts crossed -- as it turns out I do still have my (dead) hard drives so I'm going to try those clips.

For my future info, is this problem just with Dells? The Staples guy said "all I've ever had to do is screw them in," which makes me wonder if other computers are easier or at least don't use those clips. I have a Dell both at home and on campus.

thanks again,
    Karen

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just not dells, i've come across other types. how many hds were in your case at one time as clips on 80gig might be from crashed hds???

8. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Clips are used mainly in machines that require quick disconnect without disassembly of the case. I see them in 90% of the servers I maintain manufactured by IBM, HP and the like.

9. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

A couple of months ago, I had one 20gb c: drive (which came with the PC, which I bought in December '01) and I'd added (around May '04) a 250gb hard drive partitioned into f: and j:. Those drives all crashed a few months ago (yep, even the brand new one). I replaced the c: with an 80gb hard drive; the tech guys at my college installed it for me so I can't remember if it had the clips or not. Then I bought the 250gb drive today but it didn't come with clips. The next time I go to campus, I'll check the crashed 250gb one and get the clips off it.

10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

ddp, I expect an apology for grossly misjudging my comprehension skills.........and there better be a 'PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON IT'.........lol

11. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

karen2003,

Your Dell didn't come with extras inside the case? mine came with 3 extra sets. one set was underneath the hardrives and two were on the side of my case.

12. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

Hi Flip218. There were some extras but they were for the 5-1/4" bays (too long, alas). I was on campus today and the old clips are still attached to my crashed 250gb hard drive, so I'll use those ones when I remember to bring them home!! Thanks for the suggestion.