1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Photoshop On External HDD

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by leesom, Feb 11, 2008.

1. leesom

leesom Guest

Hey i was just wondering if anyone could help me. I just brought a 160 gig external hdd for university and what i was wondering is would it be possible to install photoshop on it and be able to using one more than one computer i know this might be hard because of all the registry files but i just thought there might be some way to do it.. any help would be great! cheers

2. varnull

varnull Guest

# Locate the directory that contains your Adobe Photoshop CS2 setup installation.

# Install Adobe Photoshop CS2, enter your serial registration, and activate the product.

# Create a new directory on your computer and copy the following necessary files for Adobe Photoshop CS2 & Adobe ImageReady CS2 to operate:

\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS2\ ->
    ACE.dll
    AdobeLM.dll
    Adobelmsvc Installer.dll
    AdobeUpdater.dll (generates error, program runs)
    AdobeXMP.dll
    agldt28l.dll
    AGM.dll
    asneu.dll
    AXE8SharedExpat.dll
    Bib.dll
    BIBUtils.dll
    CoolType.dll
    epic_regs.dll (generates error, program runs, goodbye shortcuts)
    FileInfo.dll (program runs, error on File>File Info)
    libagluc28.dll
    pdfsettings.dll
    persresen_US.dll
    Photoshop.dll
    Plugin.dll
    PSArt.dll
    PSViews.dll
    Tw10122.dat
    VersionCue.dll
    VersionCueUI.dll
    \Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS2\\Activation\(your language/country)\tw12216.dat
    \Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS2\\Required\*.*
    \Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe Systems\Product licenses\B2B86000.dat

You may decided to keep certain folders; like for example "Plug-Ins", but it is not necessary for Photoshop CS2 or ImageReady CS2 to operate, and though some plugins will still appear to be available, they will cause no change to the image if selected. UPDATE: Using UPX v1.95 beta I was able to compress all EXEs and DLLs in the root directory and keep full functionality!
    # Copy the minimum required registry entries by running "regedit".

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{236BB7C4-4419-42FD-0409-1E257A25E34D}]
    "EPIC_ORG"="(your company or organisation you registered under)"
    "EPIC_SERIAL"="(your serial registration number without dashes)"
    "EPIC_NAME"="(the name you registered under)"

UPDATE: In total, this removes approximately 212 MB of unneeded materials and brings the installation down to approximately 26 MB!!!

At this point you can uninstall Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady CS2 and remove your license file. To run Photoshop or Imageready without installing the application, do the following (it's obvious):
    # Copy the registry entries (EPIC_ORG, EPIC_SERIAL, EPIC_NAME) back to their appropriate place in your registry.

# Copy "B2B86000.dat" back to the directory \Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe Systems\Product licenses
    # Locate the directory you copied your files to and launch either "Photoshop.exe" or "ImageReady.exe".

You will need to be able to directly edit the registry on any machine you intend to run it on... so it may be no use to you.

http://portableapps.com/ gimpshop here maybe?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  3. leesom

leesom Guest

thanks heaps mate do you think it will work for cs3 aswell?

4. varnull

varnull Guest

Can't see why not.