1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing rar files

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Moe47, May 24, 2007.

1. Moe47

Moe47 Member

I've read for days on how to burn files but have one more question. I'm way out of my league trying to install two programs. I've so far downloaded, extracted,verified and all went fine. Now I have bin and cue to burn an image and on the other I dont have bin and cue but I have an IMG file,NFO. Both files have .ro1-.r48. and an rar file.the rar file I extracted in both with WinRAR. My question is I have Vista and alot is not compatible but so far I think Alcohol 120% will work. When I go to try different ways to burn or mount these, can I damage my files if it doesnt' work? Also on one program in the r files .00-.029 say WinRAR Archive and the others .30-48 say r30 Files-r48Files is that right or should I extract again? Does the IMG file get burnt like the bin and cue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

BIN / CUE is one kind of image, and IMG is another alternative way of doing the same thing. Both are valid image formats.
    They won't get damaged. It might not work if they are damaged already (ie incomplete or corrupted during download) but they won't suffer further damage.
    There's nothing wrong here. This is a well known feature of RAR part files, which is that Windows only associates the numbers up to .29 with WinRAR. It doesn't stop WinRAR from dealing with them. If it bothers you, in Windows Explorer, you can highlight the ones from .30 to whatever the highest number happens to be, and then right click them and choose "open with..." and then choose WinRAR from the list of programs, and check the box for "Always Open With this Program", and then click OK. After this, the number at which it changes will be the highest number you chose, .48 in this case. If you later download a RAR set with more parts than 48, you can repeat the operation to extend the range that gets recognised. But it's a Windows thing, not a RAR thing, so don't worry about it.
    Alcohol 120% should be able to burn most image formats including IMG.