1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

InstantCopy question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MisterK, Aug 23, 2003.

1. MisterK

MisterK Guest

Greetings to all!

I'm wondering if any folks who use InstantCopy for their backups have any solutions or helpful hints on how to deal the file sizing issue (in that you can rarely get IC to fill a disk without oversizing or undersizing). I've been tinkering with a movie-only back-up of "The Sum of All Fears", and no matter what file size I move the slider to, I always end up with a disk with only 3.79 GB of data. I should mention that I use DVD Fab to strip the extras and Hidden Settings editor in conjunction with IC.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2003
  2. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

Have you tried using the recommended settings in the hidden settings editor. I used to have alot of trouble with the size too, until I loaded the recommended settings, NOT the default settings.

3. MisterK

MisterK Guest

Thanks for the tip Raptorman; I'll give it a try. Just wondering... have you ever tweaked the Recommended settings, or just used their defaults?

4. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

I havent tried tweaking the recommended settings yet, they seem to work pretty good as they are so I just leave them alone.

5. MisterK

MisterK Guest

I loaded the recommended settings and I wound up with with a 3.79 GB disc-size. I'll tweak the recommended setting and see what happens!
    Have you always used IC, Raptorman?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2003
  6. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

hmmm... thats strange. Did you make sure to save the settings before you closed the hidden settings editor? I have always used IC and always get a file around 4300-4400 mb. Although I always do full disc backups and noticed that your just doing movie only, maybe that has something to do with it? What is the original uncompressed size of just the movie?

I also just noticed that your using DVD fab to stip the extras, IC can do that for you. Maybe try the procedure without dvd fab and just untick what you don't want when the customize disc screen comes up.

here's a link to the guide that I learned from

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/userguides/141024.php#dvd9instantcopy

7. MisterK

MisterK Guest

I've made sure my settings were saved. I don't remember what the size of the uncompressed movie was, however. I've checked out the link you provided; I'll use that guide and take another go at it tonight.

Thanks again, Raptorman!

8. MisterK

MisterK Guest

I followed the IC guide (with a different movie this time) and came up with about the same result (3.81 GB). The uncompressed file size was 5.53 GB. Then I disabled automatic sizing and bumped the transcoding size to 4.89 GB. I ended up a file size of 4.12 GB. Weird. It's too bad IC can't just fill a disc completely the first time. 3.81 GB leaves almost half a GIG of space on the disc. Obviously, the video quality could be that much better if the space was used.

By the way, what operating system are you running?

Thanks for your input; it is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2003
  9. Raptorman

Raptorman Guest

Sorry I can't be of anymore help MisterK, I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Im running xp home.

10. MisterK

MisterK Guest

Thanks for the help!