1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel Celeron Processors

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tuleaf, Apr 29, 2007.

1. tuleaf

tuleaf Member

Can anyone tell me if Celeron Processors are any good?
    Or are they a cheaper version of the better ones?

2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

Celeron processors have smaller cache than pentium ones.They are the cheaper versions of pentium,with less performance.Now that price of processors is dropping,i think you can get a much better processor at a very affordable price.

Vincent.

3. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

what are you using the pc for as that will determine whether to get a celeron or a p4

4. tuleaf

tuleaf Member

I do a lot of downloading, games and I pretty much live on the computer. I've been checking ads, but all I seem to see is celeron. I had heard once before that celerons are a poor mans pentium. Guess thats true.
    My sis has one and the performance has never been good. All she does is email and play online games and a few pc games, nothing elaborate.
    It's always been problematic. So I guess I'll stick with my p4. Thanks for your help

tuleaf

5. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

at 1 point in time, the celeron was better for gaming or overclocking but that was back in the p2 & p3 times.

6. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

But now the pentium 4 with lga775 is much better in terms of performance and in almost everything for almost a little much more money than the celeron.I think celeron has got it's glory time but is no more now.Now with pentium D and the tremendous Core 2 duo,the celeron is going to be forgotten for sure.

Vincent.

7. AXT

AXT Guest

Consider an AMD Athlon 64 X2. You can get one for under 100 dollars.

8. dazila

dazila Regular member

Celerons are counterparts of the fastest intel CPU.
    but are slower.
    they ahve never been faster in any time P1,P2,P3 or P4. they overclock better but still tend ot be slower.
    the current celerons are based on the old Pentium 3 well it is teh Pentium 3 with faster core speed making it faster the 2.6ghz Celeron is equvilant to teh 1,4ghz Pentium3.
    On note:
    Celerons have been discontinued Pentium Brand WIll take its place as low end CPU comming down from top and its position will be taken over by the Core 2 Duo completey by June when the next pentium comes.

9. tuleaf

tuleaf Member

thank you all so much for the input. Now I know what too look for, at least a general idea.
    Thanks again

Tuleaf

10. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

the celerons are most likely failed p4's just like they did when the 486 came out. there was no sx or dx versions till they had cpu's fail testing in the math co-processor. instead of throwing away an expensive cpu that still basically worked, the just renamed that cpu the 486sx & the working co-processor vesrion 486dx. the same probably applies to the celerons & there was no celeron version for the p1's.