1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel or AMD? NVidia or ATi?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by esrever, Feb 5, 2008.

1. esrever

esrever Regular member

First off, I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death in the past. I'm looking to get a new PC soon and I'm mostly going to be using it for high-end gaming. I just need to know what path to go down as far as the processor and video card....particularly which brand.

2. silk42

silk42 Regular member

The top of the line changes all the time, so it just depends when you ask. Currently, if you want the top of the line, you'll go with Intel for the CPU and Nvidia for the GPU.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Depends what your budget is. In almost all cases Intel is better for the CPU. nvidia are best for the GPU if you have quite a high budget, but if you don't, ATI offer some very competitive products and are often recommended. ATI/AMD no longer offer any top-end products as their R&D just can't keep the pace when the company's pretty much bankrupt, consequently they have to offer cheap solutions in the midrange, and some of them are very attractive - just as well, they have to be!

4. esrever

esrever Regular member

Thank you both for your input.

5. chaos_zzz

chaos_zzz Member

Intel at least now has better benchmarks than amd so i would go intel on the cpu.

now for gpu i would go for nvidia they seem to consyume less power and also less problems with drivers, i mean come on ati unstiall that one, the patch ... it´s a nightmare

i proably go on a quad wich are not really over 300 and a 8800gt wich probably will be less than 400, beter buy once that twice that´s the cheaper way

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

nvidia's drivers are almost as awful as ATI's, I wouldn't say that's reason to criticise either company, the power consumption is also pretty similar. If you've got $250 or less, go with an HD3870 or HD3850, if you've got $300 or more, go with an 8800 series. If you've got less than $200, consider an HD2600XT.

7. mangpepe

mangpepe Regular member

if you're looking for high-end gaming, i mean high-end you might as well add a Physics Accelerator. like the BFG AGEIA PhysX P1. if you're serious about gaming.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, you really don't. They're completely useless.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Few games support it. Just because you're adding another card and increasing latencies it might even decrease performance.

10. esrever

esrever Regular member

I just want a config that can play Crysis or Oblivion on the highest settings with smooth framrates

11. mangpepe

mangpepe Regular member

@sammorris
    @abuzar1

just because your an afterdawnaddict or whatever,. it doesn't make you so smart. Why do you think they create it if its useless.?. You always step up on the little ones, thinking you know about everything. so self reliance. If you want to BAN me then BAN me. what kind of members are you. I'd rather be banned than to be embarrassed here.

12. esrever

esrever Regular member

I don't know about it being useless, but it might not be for my purposes.

13. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

14. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

the thing is. the only GOOD games to employ physx are UT3, and GRAW2.

bar that, there is no point. esp online in UT3, which is why you would buy the game, not enought ppl play the tornado level, etc, to make it worht while.

crysis doesnt use physx at all, neither does oblivion. infact most games, esp nearly all GOTY for god knows how many years use physx.

BUT

with nvidia, who have now bought agiea, int the future, aka 2010 onwards, we might see alot of NTWIMTBP games implement it, and then i think it may be worth it, but in 2-3 most of us would have upgraded, and will get them in due course, IF, they are needed.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Mangpepe: nonetheless, we're here to offer advice, and when you tell someone to waste £70 on a card that achieves nothing, we're right to advise against it.
    nVidia are buying out Ageia because the technology can be useful, but the cards that have been made thus far achieve nothing in all but a small handful of games, and online you'll probably to have to disable it since not everyone you're playing with will have one. being limited to the PCI bus means they're limited in power, and they also introduce extra effects to render, so increasing the graphical requirement of the game, lowering your frame rate - so yes, extra snazzy effects, but DECREASED performance. £70 for a card that only works properly for two games, only in single player mode, and decreases your frame rate even on the occasions it does work. Do some reading man.

Rank doesn't mean much here, but the fact that we've reached this status means that we are able to offer legitimate advice without bawling about it, most of the time anyway. We are always open to helping so called "little ones" but when they think they are the holy chosen ones and because we disagree we must be idiots, they deserve the ban hammer imo.

16. mangpepe

mangpepe Regular member

@shaffaf

I agree with you.

@sammorrs

I’m not telling him to waste his money, I’m just suggesting it if he would like it, everyone has its own opinion. Then you come saying that it is useless, (useless in your own opinion) FYI everything that’s made has a purpose, That’s why they create it to be USEFUL. Why someone stupid would create such an invention in other word, (innovation) that is completely USELESS. That’s why they use it to make life so much easier and better. It all depends on the user “the holy chosen one” who is using it right.

I don’t read some piece of crap that’s all of its contents are USELESS.

I can’t wait to be smashed.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Anyone with an attitude like that shouldn't be posting in the first place.
    Seems funny that you've made it as far as Member without casually throwing around that argument, but as soon as someone puts you in the wrong, you scream about it.

When PhysX cards came out, I was of the opinion that I wouldn't buy one initially, but if a large number of games came out that supported it, I'd get one. Years later, I'm still waiting. Given the acquisition by nvidia, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets integrated into the geforce line, and the PCI card forgotten. It's for this reason that I advise people strongly not to buy one. PhysX may well have a future, but PhysX cards don't, certainly not the current generation.

As far as your comment about invention goes, I guess the word 'mistake' isn't one you've heard of yet. Looking at your profile page, it looks like you're probably about 12...

18. mangpepe

mangpepe Regular member

@sammorris

I would not take this too far, I can't argue anymore. I'm so sorry for being sensitive and being rude. I apologize for my attitude, You' re right about the AGEIA physx, guess i didn't know it. as for your info sir i'am not 12, i just wanted to make it clear.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then it's all well and good. I don't set out to start arguments, but on occasions they're unavoidable.

20. mangpepe

mangpepe Regular member

tnx.. :) peace \/