1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I did make an error with your chipset, I was actually giving you the chipset from my last system that had the P4Pe motherboard. I didn't intend to offend you with the statement that I posted, all I was trying to say is that I can't out think the entire net but since it did offend you I apologize. I would never say that you have no right to discuss anything because what would be the point of being in a forum.

I believe I did mention that the 8300 series also used the 775 chipset for Prescott's'. I have to admit that I have limited knowledge of Dell or any other commercially made PC.

The bios does affect plug and play in fact there's a setting in it that States "plug and play operating system." It's best to disable it.

Although my CPU is mid priced my video card, memory, and motherboard are high end. I expected to turn my mid priced CPU into a high priced equivalent performer.

Below are some of my motherboard specs.

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=375&l1=3&l2=15&l3=148

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  2. theridges

theridges Guest

AMD all the way no doubt that why i bought one i did my reading and made the right choice..

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles

Apology accepted.

Not that I remember. 775 as in LGA775 is the socket type for the new Prescotts (Socket T), a change from the Socket 478. 775 may have been mentioned in relation to the new Prescotts, but not as a mobo chipset designation. Intel is now using chipsets in the 900 series. I have to have a chart to keep up with all that Intel has and keeps changing. Sort of like having to have a program to keep up with the show. Now that they are using number designations for processors, I definitely have to have something to keep up with the operating frequencies and which mobo chipsets are being used.

The first time I remember mention of the 875 chips was when I brought them up with my PC. Before that you mentioned the 845G. We were talking about the newer 955 chips earlier in relation to the new Intel processors with the LGA775 Socket. All those numbers start to confuse me after a while. ;) You may have mentioned the Prescott and chipsets on another thread. The numbers for the Intel mobo chipsets appear to be sequential. For instance the chipset for my older PC is the 875P which was an improvement over the even older 845G. Not really that old as Asus and others are still selling boards with the 875P chipsets.

It appears Intel is now phasing the 875P out because they're pushing the new chipsets along with their new processors. The 875P has had a good run and is still a useful chipset unless one is going for an ultimate setup. The 875 utilizes the Socket 478 processors and the new ones are the Socket T as I mentioned before. How many chipsets have you seen stay near the top of the list in performance as long as this one has? Support for a 800MHz FSB and HyperThreading technology, the 875P was there for the beginning of the performance PCs we see today.

I just lucked out and got a mobo with the 875P chips because of the configuration I ordered, I ordered a sound card and graphics card. Had I selected the slower FSB and onboard sound, I probably would have ended up with a mobo having the 845 chips. That's where the custom builder really has the advantage, he knows the parts he wants and can install them. With the factory, you can't call them up and tell them which mobos and chipsets you want.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2005
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Well now that you brought it up. LOL

Intel's most famous chipset of all time has to be the 440BX. It survived through both the PII and PIII CPU's. Some thought that it would just keep going on like the energizer Bunny. It had a native frontside bus speed of 100 MHZ but it could be overclocked to 130 Mhz which is quite a gain for the time. It was also a very fast chip. But then via came out with their socket 370 chipset that had a 133 mhz frontside bus that was slower than Lintel's overclocked 130 frontside bus but the via frontside bus could be overclocked to 150 MHZ. Whatever the 440BX lasted for quite a while.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL I can honestly say, that, I didn't know. ;)

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Since we are getting nostalgic, I had a dual Celeron 500Mhz socket 370 with an Abit board. They were popular as the only budget Dual system at the time. Very overclockable.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

8. 64026402

64026402 Active member

On the dual core front my 3800x2 has a new heat sink. I got the 30 dollar big copper heat pipe coolermaster. (not to big, but about the same size as the 80mm fan on top with a lot of fins)
    Now it maxs out at 43 degrees during DRB encodes at 2.6 ghz. It is pretty quiet under load and dead silent when not encoding.
    I can't see using water cooling when the temps are this low already.

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I do hope a dual core notebook comes out pretty quick. I don't care if its Intel or AMD. I use my notebook corded most of the time so some extra power usage isn't a problem.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Agreed! I've just taken on a whole new job within the educational system (support facilitator) and I do a lot of online paperwork and multi tasking.

Yet another Intel prospect for the near future.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20051010/index.html

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  11. Triock

Triock Guest

Hey guys what about the p4 with hyper threading versa _______?
    Im going to buy a computer for x-mas and i need a gaming computer.
    Thanks,
    Triock

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Triock

AMD CPU's offer more bang for the buck, especially when it comes to gaming, but you'll also need a pretty good graphics card as well.

Hyper threading is only good on applications that can appreciate it such as multi threaded applications that are non CPU intensive. Most games if any make little to no use of Hyper threading at all. If you already own a PC PC with a an Intel chip then you should be focusing on the speed of your graphics card. Just because AMD CPU's are better at gaming doesn't mean that a good Intel CPU is bad at it.

The question is, are you building or making use of what you have?

13. Triock

Triock Guest

Hey, I am just looking at cpu chips, and i do like the amd 64 but it is a bit pricy.. Do you know anything about the athlon xp? i had that chip until a worm overclocked it to much and fried all my crap up. Well thats what i think...
    I am 14, and i need a good gaming computer... Try to stay with me on this ok? I have 50.00 and my parents are going to ''Give me money for X-mas'' for my computer, around 200.00 to 300.00
    prob, 350.00 and my father is sending 75.00... so that leaves 450.00... what do i do with this.. i am running my sisters p3 728 megahertz, an 8 mg video and 128 mg of Ram... Help!!!

My dad is a DBA and i branched off of him.. and he might overclock it, he does not like it that much, god knows why???

I could realy use the help... Thanks\
    Triock

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Get a paper route, talk the grandparents or any other relatives into donating to the cause. Building a PC isn't a cheap process if you want a decent procesor and mobo and want to build with upgrade potential.

$190 for an AMD 3200 processor. A good Asus board like the A8N-SLI Deluxe goes for $165. You probably won't get a decent board for less than $100 if you're thinking of upgrading later. There's $355 for just 2 of the parts needed. Then you have to have things like RAM, a case, power supply (comes with some cases), modem, optical drives, hard drives, graphics card(s), audio card, and a potpourri of miscellaneous things needed for a build. I tallied up a dream build and it ran in excess of $4,000 for the parts (high end parts). http://www.newegg.com is a good site to go to to check out parts prices. By the way, the Athlon 64s are probably what you're looking for if you want a quality processor at reasonable prices. They go from the less expensive up to the higher capacity processors that are more expensive. AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX - Retail $146, the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ ClawHammer 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA4000ASBOX - Retail $372 and the AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADAFX57BNBOX - Retail $1011 sort of show the range in prices. There are versions between the ones listed. $146 dollars for a good processor isn't bad at all.

With the 3000 and a less expensive board, you'd still have about $250 invested in the processor and mobo, then you still need all those other parts. So, not to dash your dreams, but it takes money to build a good PC, especially one that can be tinkered with for overclocking and can be readily upgraded. Factory PCs aren't as nice as the custom builds, but they can be cheaper. Check some of the catalogs and major builders for package prices. The budget definitely can affect what you get.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For non gaming applications you can usually find a retail PC on sale in your price range. Then add a better video card and better memory as you need.
    But if your father can put a PC together then you can do a low end gaming PC for about $450 with more potential as you get more money.

There are decent Nforce4 boards for about $70 which gets you some overclocking ability right off the bat. The best budget gaming video cards are PCIe which fit an NF4 board.
    The processor should be a 3000+ venice core like Brobear indicated or a 3500+ venice for about $70 more if the budget were to expand a little.
    Get an inexpensive case with power supply then as money allows transplant a better PS.

I am comfortable with the $450 because I am cheap. So I'll do some things that others wouldn't consider. Refurb Newegg parts are useful sometimes. Memory can be cheap until you can afford better.
    We can list an array of parts for you but you need to do some research on your own to help you get a feel for what you really want.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Browse Newegg and some similar sites and check out some magazines that cover building PCs. Besides some of what's involved in labor, the parts ads are pretty good to check out as well. Donald made some excellent points on how to go with a lower budget. You don't have to put in top line or even everything you eventually want. The key is to build with the option to upgrade. Simply put, don't do something that will keep you from updating and upgrading in the future. Buying refurbished doesn't mean buying obsolete.

17. tophawk

tophawk Member

I am VERY new to this
    I am building a system myself and wondered if the spec below all works. I wanted to move up to 64 bit sruff
    Asus A8N-SLI/Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego Core 64 bit
    GeilĀ® Value 2Gb PC3200 Dual Chan DDR Kit

If anyone in the world is up for free advice all would be appreciated
    Cheers

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Good processor and mobo choice. Guess a person has to draw the line somewhere, but I'd spend a few dollars more for the 3800 or 4000 processor; only about $100 more for the latter. As for memory, I like the OCZ Platinum Dual Channel DDR SDRAM. Little costly, but quality memory. I think it is around $250 for 2GB (2 X 1GB). Of course you can probably get other opinions. That's a sound start though, good luck on the build.

BTW, there's not a whole lot of 64 bit stuff to move up to yet. For a while, you'll still be in the world of 32 bit quite often.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

tophawk

It all works together just fine, the San Diego 3700 plus is will easily overclock to a 4000+ or higher on that board. You're only going from 2.2 GHZ to 2.4 to get it to match the 4000 plus in speed but you'll actually be a little faster because of your wider frontside bus. I should think that the 3700+ should easily hit even 2.5 GHZ with no threat to your CPU (I'd take it to 2.6). The only problem that you might have is if the value memory can take a wider frontside bus which also stresses memory. Rather than spending more money on the CPU you might want to consider getting better quality CAS2 memory. I might also add that the Venice cores can com very close to matching the speed of the San Diego for about $100 less.

20. tophawk

tophawk Member

Thanks for that nfo !!
    Is the AMD 3700 about the same speed as the Intel PentiumĀ® 4 650 3.4GHz 800FSB LGA 775 CPU EM64T ??
    which is priced about the same (I realise that it is a diff board)
    AM I GETTIN' OUT OF MY DEPTH HERE ???!!!
    Anyway thanks for your tolerance
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.