1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles
    I am running my sirius sat home unit through my computer. Is there any music capture program that you can recomend to record the songs and save them?

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  3. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs, does water cooling bring down the temps that much? Is it worth the money for the prescott?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

IMO, never use water cooling. It will perform better and quieter than air cooling, but the risks involved are just too great.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@sammorris

Are you saying that water and electricity are a bad mix? <G>

@Brobear

Newegg used to be a bit faster when they used FedEx Supersaver, usually getting to me a day earlier then stipulated. When they moved to UPS as their default shipper their 3 day policy really did mean three business days plus, similar to what Sophocles mentioned. My order was on Sunday 2/12/2006 and I received my HDD on Thursday at noon.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

theonejrs
    I'll have to miss out on that sale this time. I have to measure the board and see which cooler will fit. I don't have the new case and board yet. The one you suggest is one of two I'm considering, both Zalman.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually at Tomshardware.com they tried and experiment by filling the case full owater like an aqaurium for a method of cooling. The unit just barely booted because of conductivity problems. Then they went on to use five gallons of vegetable oil and that worked out because oil has very low conductivity. The did say however that motor oil would do a better job. LOL

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@Sophocles

Now that is funny!!!

I'd stick with the NON-STICK vegetable oil myself! :)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

Would that be "Happy Motoring"? Sure would be tough on the hard drives!

Baltekmi,

I don't know about water cooling. I would never use it as I just don't think that I could do much better than I am now with the Zalman. Just the thought of the damage that could be done if you had a leak. Ugh!!!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

10. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

ok yea I guess you have to be more spacific here.I talking about
    the liquid cooling systems on the market today!!!!
    Sarcasam abounds!!!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Mostly good humored, unless someone is trying to be a pain.

With better cooling, and liquid cooling is better than air, a person can OC higher. Some setups are better than others. A big part of a good system is using quality parts and making sure the connections don't leak. Tubing that resists kinks is best. Also kits with undersize tubing for the fittings is more leak proof when done properly. Those are put on by heating the tubing in hot water and then putting the hose on the fitting. Once it cools down you have a more leakproof connection. I read an article on it. LOL Triple check everything for leaks and do a periodic check to make sure there are no leaks.

A case with a window is a good bet for liquid cooled system. The Thermaltake Armor case I'm getting is set up for liquid cooling. It also comes in a model with a window. If I was into liquid cooling and LEDs for the light show, I'd have gone with that one. Liquid cooling would be okay, but I think if I was going to spend that much for cooling, I'd do it with a CPU worthy of the investment.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's reasonably complex to get a leak free system. Unless you're absolutely desperate for the last 5-10% of overclock, you'd be far better off and richer to go with a decent air cooling.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Just a little reminder; if a person is taking advantage of liquid cooling, then they should be using quality components. Good performance memory that can take a little extra power and has low clock settings and a CPU that is OC friendly with a mobo and BIOS that will allow the tweaking are a must. Don't forget about cooling the chips as well as the CPU. The RAM needs cooling as well when you go for the limits. Unless a person is into extreme gaming or wants to be a bench race wonder, I don't see the need. I think I'll just stick to air cooling myself with a well ventilated case.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I see it, the furthest you need take things is to have a large PSU fan (obviously not really interchangeable in the UK unless you fancy your chances with being slightly dead), an efficient large CPU heatsink and plenty of quiet case fans. That's about it. I don't really even see the need for a hard disk cooler, there's sufficient front ventilation in good cases for them to run below 40C.

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@Brobear

Are you putting your 3.4 Northwood into the Asus P4P800-E Deluxe board?

If that is the case then just the stock heatsink and fan will do fine for an O/C of 10-15%.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006
  16. brobear

brobear Guest

ScubaBud
    Seeing as how I don't have a spare heatsink and fan, I'll just have to order one. Since it will be used later for a performance custom, I'm going with a Zalman. With the good ram, board and cooling system, I'm going to see how high the 3.4 Northwood will go and remain stable. I do a lot of encoding, so I don't need a system folding under pressure.

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear

I hear ya.

It will be interesting to see how much you can pull from your 3.4 while still keeping it stable. :) Good luck! :)

18. brobear

brobear Guest

sammorris
    Guess you haven't OC(ed) many systems lately; in particular processors like the Intel Prescott. My stock system has no problem encoding all day with just the case fan cooling system (no CPU fan). When I go to OC the 3.4GHz Northwood, I want more cooling.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haven't overclocked any systems at all actually, nor would I buy a prescott.
    Lol, that's the end of that.

20. thejazman

thejazman Guest

Been away for a while but this thread has certainly been busy.

My new opteron 280 system is now up and running, I will be posing some bench marks next week, but all I will say for now is that it is very fast..........

AMD Opteron 280 dual core 64bit SKT 940 Retail (2.4Ghz-0.9nm-2Mb)
    Thunder K8WE (SCSI)
    SCSI Drive 73GB Ultra 320
    3 x 300GB Barracuda 7200.8 HDD 8MB Cache
    2 x 7800GTX TDH Extreme SLI 256MB DDR3
    Dolby Digital 7.1 Sound Expert Optical 514DX
    Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650W PSU
    ThermalTake Kandalf Aluminium super tower
    Viewsonic NextVision N2750W TFT-HDTV 16ms
    Microsoft Windows XP Pro 64

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.