1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terry117

terry117 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2006
  2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    All in all how do these figures look. I have no problems running anything. tried to drop the settings , and it just kept restarting.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not really, AMD are just as stable as Intel, the only problems arise when you start overclocking intensely.
    By the way Sophocles my board and X800pro is AGP, so obviously no SLi. The next board I have will likely be Single PCIe 16x.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Terry

Now how can I say this delicately? Oh! Malarkey, not word of truth, AMD's are every bit as stable as intel and faster as well.

Sammoris

I didn't buy my board for its SLI feature although one day I might use it. I bought it for its loads of other features and just like the Premium the Deluxe came loaded to the gills with extras. Including software and full games.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

Tha's a little harsh! I don't consider myself a fool. I may use 2 7800GTX or I may use something else. A lot will depend on what prices are when I'm ready (if ever) for SLI. Video cards are a thing where someone is KIng of the hill for a very short while someone else is planning ways to be king of the hill next. The benchmarks are not overwhelmingly different. Mind you these are benchmarks, not real world performance. I may wind up getting the X800 Pro like Sophocles has.

I remember a computer magazine doing their anual hard drive tests several years ago. Samsung had just come out with a line of IDE drives. In every benchmark the Samsung was at the lower end of the tests. When it came to "real world" performance however, it was the second best performing hard drive available at that time out of the 100 drives tested. In truth, benchmarks are nothing more than a refrence. A way to help the "general public" and less knowlegeable people than the members of this forum decide what video card to buy. A lot of benchmarks posted by such places as Tomshardware and others are somewhat skewed. Most of it is hype anyway. Naturally some video card makers will be quick to point out that their card is better than brand X's card because a particular benchmark is favorable to them. Just like AMD vs Intel. Intel stressed high clock speeds while AMD favored performance using better architecture. It's like when you buy a DVD burner. On the box it usually says:FOR P3 850Mhz and up. Yet it worked fine on my high quality 733!

The most overused and basicly useless benchmark there is, is FPS. If a game is designed to need 50fps capability to run properly, then a frame rate of 85fps is meaningless. Hell, NTSC television is only 30fps, Interlaced! Look at what PS3 and the Xbox do on it! I had an 8 foot Advent Video Beam / Projection, Comercial Model that had a special curved screen in the late 90s. Playing GranTourismo on it was a trip, and some serious fun. 30 FPS/Interlaced!

Me? I'de prefer Blake Stone, or maybe ColecoVision's Burgertime!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  6. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I agree completly. i posted my "benchmarks" so that maybe one of you guys ,with more knowledge, may see somthing askew or to help me. To be honest I see not one bit of difference playing a game at stock 3.2 or oc'd to 3.6. I do it because it can be done. I believe my mobo can do anything yours can - or + a millisec and visa versa. Having bought a computer off the shelf so to speak and having to fight through the balony software crap on the computer. it is great to be able to build your own that works just fine. We are all limited to one extent or another (mostly cash)as to what we put inside. So calling someone a fool for using certain components is certainly harsh.

7. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

Totally agree with the above two gentlemen. Been saying some of what you guys are saying for the past 3 years.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The comment is a little harsh for someone that's spent over $1000 but my reasoning follows your argument. There just is naff all difference between having two and having one (90fps vs 80 for example), and where it counts when frame rate is below 50, SLi usually performs worse than the single card! Crossfire is little better, but generally doesn't seem to suffer quite so much from the two cards is worse issue.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Granted, some things are a niche market and not for all. However, what a person spends their money on is their own business, even if we sometimes kid about the choices. Not everyone thinks it's wise to spend money on wine, women, song and motorcycles. LOL As for SLi systems, that's a personal choice. Some people seem determined to catch that last frame possible.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

And in brobear's case he would be speaking of the last item only.:)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  11. brobear

brobear Guest

Unfortunately for Sophocles, none of the 4 apply. LOL Well, to tell the truth, he likes to get loaded and annoy people on the internet. LOL

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

And who's the one that's always typing out the lyrics to the song Rye Whiskey or talkng about shots ot tequila? LOL

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

:D :D :D
    Note I've amended my signiature to count in both Sli and crossfire, don't want to seem biased.
    The thing about "last frame possible" though is that it's at the expense of frames in a large number of games, so performance really is actually lower, but people who've spent all that money can't seem to get it. The only SLi combo that works well is 6600GTs but for the money of two of those you could trounce them with one 6800GT and have change.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris
    It wasn't your point that was a little off, it was how you made.:) I'm in agreement with you in practice and occassionally I say the wrong thing too but what you said could have beens said without making it personal. Trust me brobear knows! LOL

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I didn't really want it to turn out as a personal dig, more an "i don't agree with your practice" but I think the concept quite sucks overall, and it's hard to achieve both points at the same time. No hard feelings meant to those who do use SLi, well in particular 7800GTXs, as in many games you work out paying well over $10 per fps. That's a lot, considering the X800GTO manages quite a few games for less than $2/fps.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What are you talking about? I didn't say I had a practice and I ceratinly wasn't asking you to agree with anything that I've said. What I did say was in practice, meaning that I agree with what you said regarding SLI and that I only disagreed with how you said it!!! Now if you have a problem with that then it's yours and yours alone.

17. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

I think AMD is made for gaming, browsing the internet, and office and some other programs. Intel is better at 3D software, watching movies/playing music, and running almost all programs and converting. I now use and AMD since I mostly go on the internet, play games, and watch movies.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spider323

There is no difference in how AMD or Intel chips play movies or music, because neither are particularly demanding tasks. As far as 3D is concerned AMD is now and have been for a long time much better than Intel. That's why AMD is better at gaming because most games are 3D. It used to be that AMD chips were better for gaming and Intel chips were better for encoding but now AMD is winning at both.

19. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Hi, I have checked benchmarks online and I found that Intel was better at converting media on about 8/10 programs. The reason I said that the Intel was better at playing videos is because with my old INtel pentium 4 2.8 GHz when i played a song or video it played perfectly from startup to end but with my new AMD 3200+ 2.0 GHz at the startup it plays the video or song for 2 seconds and the visualization foe the song or the video freezes for about 3 or 4 seconds and I think its because of the clock speed the 2.0 GHz versus the 2.8. Thats why I said this. Also with the AMD I remember somewhere I saw that it said that the AMD is better for gaming but the Intel is better at 3D game creation or somehting like that.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spider323

Then that's a problem with your system not your CPU. I have three systems. One is a P4 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz, another is a AMD 3500+ Venice core at 2.75 Ghz, and the last is a dual coare AMD Opteron 175 currently at 2.67 Ghz. My single core AMD 3500+ is about 40% faster thna my higer clocked P4 and it beats it at everything and my opteron beats them both. If you have an older AMD chip then your problem is one of time and poor system configuration but to be fair I will read any of those 8 of 10 reviews you were talking about. Just post the links but I don't think that you're going to find any recent reviews that supports your claims.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.