1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Sophocles

I can't find the otehr less benchmarks one but heres another of 36 pages: http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/01/06/revving_up_in_the_new_year/ . As you can see in the beginning is the video 3D tests which clearly AMD is much greater with greater fps. Then during the program tests the Intel performs better than the AMD which most of the tests. At first it shows the seconds where Intel's is lower and then it shows score which Intel has higher on.

Also you were saying there was something wrong with my system and not my CPU. I'll list my computer stats and you can tell me what is wrong. :D . Amd socket 939 3200+ at 2.0 GHz clock speed and 2.0 Front Side Bus, 1024 MB ram 400 MHz, 300 GB HD Pata-133, ATI Radeon x800gt, ASROCK Dual-Sata 2 Motherboard, and a 400 watt power supply. I would also like to mention that I just built my computer in late October of 2005 so the CPU is not that old. Thanks. :D .

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spider

I believe I asked for recent reviews, that's a discontinued older model. When I said recent I meant AMD's with theses cores, Venice, San Diego, toledo, manchester, and Denmark.

These are more recent benchmarks.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/reviews/hardware/processorsmemory/0,39024015,39164010-2,00.htm

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-7.html?tag=lnav

There's not an Intel CPU made at any price that can best my Opteron 175 unless it's been overclocked using a Vapochill extreme or better.

3. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Sophocles

Well I checked the second link and well the Intel was better. Out of the 21 tests the Intel is better at 13 of them. AMD wins 5 and the other 3 are tied. AMD though wins all the gaming tests.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Deleted for the hell of it.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I looked at the second link and AMD won 7 of 7 rounds.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

I distinctly remember the last topic was vodka with a Bloody Caesar. LOL Appears you were wrong ; I spend my money for things other than a cycle. ;) The wife still limits the pets I can have though.

Now if Intel would get off their duff and build some competitive performance CPUs, we'd have something to disagree on. ;) I hate to keep agreeing AMD has the better performance. However, for the more mundane services rendered by PCs, both AMD and Intel give good service. I agree, for playing videos and music, if they don't play properly, the owner needs to see what's wrong with the system. The problem wouldn't be directly related to the CPU being an AMD or Intel.

7. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Sophocles

Bro, I didn't read it incorrectly the Intel beats the AMD in encoding programs. I have writtewn out the clear winners and will post the pictures under this. These will show that INtel is better with encoding programs and some others. Also when i mentioned INtel was faster I didn't mean in the essence of HTML/Programming. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Spider,

It sounds to me like you are using Windows Media Player. If you are get yourself a decent DVD player program. Power DVD 5 is my favorite although Win DVD is pretty good too. I first ran Power DVD 5 on my old Dell 420 Workstation, when it was a single P3 733 with 256 RIMM Memory. Worked flawlesly. Are you using your burner to watch the video? There are a lot of burners out there that are not very good players!

I'm a little baffeled by the link you visited and then came back and said:
    . I went to the second link (CNet) and AMD won every round. Even the lowley (?????) 64x2 3800+ beat the Intels best in some tests!

By the way! Check my sig! You will see that I'm in the Intel camp for the moment. If it wasn't for this forum and Clan Afterdawn, I would still be using a Dell 3000 3.0/800 and hating it. Next move for me is an AMD 64x2 4400+ on an Asus SLI motherboard. I may be foolish at times, but I'm not stupid. I think Intel is going to push "Quad Core" and stay with higher clock speeds. I think that AMD will answer back with a "Quad Core" of it's own based on the "Toledo and Denmark" chips (that's what the rumours say). With a much better chip design, AMD will continue to run lower clock speeds on a much more efficient platform. April and May should be very interesting months. Especially for this forum.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

9. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

theonejrs

Even thought I hate internet explorer I love Windows Media Player. Also the problem isn't really that big it's just that when i open a song like then i minimize WMP and go back to it the visualization will be frozen for like 2 seconds but the song will keep playing and the visualization will start again. I never experienced this with my Intel soo i just thought the Intel was better for it. As for me saying the second link showed the Intel as being better that wa smy mistake. I meant the first link.

10. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Spider323
    you may want to check that you have the latest drivers and your memory might be the problem.

11. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Spider323
    One other thought is
    maybe the motherboard is suspect or the power supply.
    on the thought of the drivers, it has been awhile since you built your system so could be lots of updates you need to do?

12. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Nah, it's really not a problem. Two second of visualization stopping beginning of videos once in while isn't big problem. I think its just Windows Media Player starting and loading up.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I turned off the Paging File and the difference is quite noticable. Everything executes much faster including the programs that load and show on the taskbar when XP starts.

I have a couple of questions for you about my BIOS. Under DRAM idle timer the options are:Infinite, 0T, 8T, 16T, 64T and Auto. What do these settings mean and do you have any suggestions for me as to setting them?

Under DRAM refresh mode the options are:Auto, 15.6 uSec, 7.8 uSec and 64 uSec. Same question?

Under Graphics Aperture size the options are:Auto, 4MB, 8MB, 16MB, 32MB, 64MB, 128MB and 256MB. Again, same question.

One more quick question. Should I have the Spread Spectrum enabled or disabled?

Thanking you in advance,

theonejrs

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@theonejrs

My opinion…

Infinite

15.6 uSec

64MB,

Spread Spectrum, Disabled

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Spider323
    You are correct. There are some tests you can find where a 3.6 p4 will beat out a slower 2.4 Athlon on a Via chipset.
    By the same token if you go 2.8 ghz Athlon to match with the 3.6 on a decent motherboard it will beat the p4 hands down even in your pet tests.

If you had read the thread this has been covered in detail with test results.

As for your software/hardware difficulties, they can be fixed but you have to start by eliminating what isn't the problem. The processor.
    Diagnose the problem.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spider

Again you are reading the benchmarks wrong.

First bar graph:

On Architecure AMD wins not Intel

On Cballs AMD wins not Intel.

On Single pipes AMD wins

On Volume light AMD wins

On Stadium AMD wins

On underwater AMD wins

Second Bar graph:

Tracer Number Radiosity AMD Wins

Tracer Radiosity AMD wins by small margin

Radiostiy reflective AMD wins (Smaller numbers are faster)

Raytrace AMD wins.

Third bar graph:

Power Director 3

Mpeg2 AMD wins

DiVx 5.2 AMD wins

Mpeg 1 Intel wins

Bar Graph 4

TMPEG Power DVD copy

Power DVD copy Intel Wins

S-Video CD AMD wins

DiVx 5.2 AMD wins

Xvid AMD wins

Bar Graph five, Video studion 8

Intel wins them all.

You're reading the graphs wrong because they measure time in seconds and the faster CPU will have less seconds or smaller scores. In other words if AMD completes its task in 10 seconds and Intel in 15 then AMD is faster by five seconds.

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Spider,

I don't know where my brains are. It's not the computer or the cpu! Check your power settings. Just R click on the desktop, L click screensaver and go to power. What's happening is various things that the computer uses are shutting down because they are not being used. When the computer calls for these things, there is a pause while they are loaded again. I'll bet that when you maximize the screen, there is a pause and the hard drive light stays on bright for a few seconds. Also check the power settings in your bios. I usually turn these settings off and let windows APM handle things.

Hope this helps.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The freeze in WMP's visualisations is a random thing that occurs with numerous machines. It occurs with both of mine, I wouldn't worry about it.
    At present, there is nothing that intel can do any better than AMD, full stop.

19. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Sophocles

You are reading the bars totally wrong. You keep telling me that the longers bars are worst and I understand that totally. AMD is the green bars. The AMD is the one with the longer bars. Please observe the bars carefully since you have the information totally opposite. You have teh AMD and Intel mixed up. Not a big problem but you really should look at the graphs more carefully. You keep telling me that shorter bars are better which I understand but you don't realize the short blue bars are all Intel tests.

sammorris

You are right about the WMP visualizations randomly freezing. At first I thought it might be due to the clock speed of the AMD's causing it to not refresh and continue the visualization fast enough but now I think its just something that randomly occurs. I dont mind it that much.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spider323

I did mis read the colors, but in every test that I've read AMD is all around faster.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.