1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Sophocles

LOL! You've been argueing for 2 days about me being wrong and misreading the bars and not knowing how to tell the difference when in essence the whole time you were reading it incorrectly. Goes to show you need to be careful when reading things (especially graphs). You should know that AMD is green and Intel is blue. The blue men that advertise for Intel is the reason the bar is blue and most of the AMD boxes are green therefore the green bar. LOL. Don't worry, I won't be an bumhole and rub it in ur face. :D .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Damn straight lol, but yeah it makes sense to have AMD green and intel blue in the same way ATI red and nvidia green, it's just something that's obvious.
    Just to reiterate though, buy AMD. Intel don't have a single processor to beat AMD any more.

Economy: Sempron64 beats celeron
    Midrange: Athlon64 beats Pentium 4
    Extreme single core: A64 FX is in a league of its own
    Dual core: X2 vs Pentium D? No contest. X2.

Intel's next cores will have to be seriously good to get back in the game, people are going to notice that AMD are better sooner or later, and eventually Dell and Gateway will notice. Hewlett Packard already have.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spider

Only on that one test on the rest of them I was right. I wou'd've responded earlier but I've been in the middle of a build. I still stand that AMD wins just about everything and when overclocked it leaves Intel in the dust on everything, even if the Intel is also overclocked. AMD has much greater head room. My system will take any Intel running on Air made.

What is a 2.0 frontside bus?

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The question now becomes how fast is fast. How much speed do you need to do your normal PC chores? If you are surfing the net should your PC be your biggest concern or your Broadband connection? How much speed do you need to lead the pack when it comes to PC's? Two years ago I had one of the fastest PC's on air until AMD made their move with Dual Core. In a few months other chips will come out that will beat the pack once again so having the fastest today might not mean the fastest tomorrow. One thing's for sure, the more money you have to spend on a system the better your chances are of maintaining the Top Dog position! <G> The CPU, Board, Memory, etc. manufactures will always be the biggest winners of all!!!

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Scubabud

The debate is not about individual speeds, it is about the performance of product line. I do a lot of video encoding and the greater the speed the less time it takes. I use CCE which is a pro quality encoder. On a P4 sytem it can take 2 and half to three hours to complete a single encode but on my Opteron it takes between 44 and 67 minutes and that's a lot of time saved.

For me it's both. I have a Fiber optic's connection to the internet 5/mb/s down and 2 mb/s up.

This is the bandwidth test that I just ran on two seperate sites.

4.8 megabits per second
    Communications 4.8 megabits per second
    Storage 588.5 kilobytes per second (my downlo
    1MB file download 1.7 seconds
    Subjective rating Awesome

URL: http://myspeed.visualware.com/
    When: Sat Feb 25 12:24:38 EST 2006
    Download: 5,164,216 bps
    Upload: 1,866,856 bps
    QOS: 99%
    RTT: 36 ms
    MaxPause: 12 ms
    Test #: 1845947

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

I would agree with you on your decisions and in my case there is no debate as well since I’m in the; “Just have to have it” category. :)
    That’s one of the reasons that I’ve postponed my newest build until after mid year, waiting to see what develops with AMD and DDR2.

As far as Broadband the fastest available to us in my neck of the woods is currently 3.0 Mbps which really gives me an actual 2.5 Mbps down and 325 Kbps up. Bellsouth is supposed to have available soon in my area their 6.0 Mbps which would probably equate to 4.8-5.2 Mbps if we’re lucky.

The biggest speed increase for me as of late was the WD1500 with 16MB cache. I can easily see the difference from my ATA133’s with 8MB. I would highly recommend that WD1500 drive to anyone!

7. brobear

brobear Guest

On the net I'd say it's the connection and then the PC. I was toying around with an old 400MHz P2 with 64MB PC100 SDRAM. It had an ethernet card, so I was able to hook to my DSL modem. I didn't do any time trials, but there was no noticable slowdown between it and the 3.4GHz P4. There's better video quality with the P4 and I don't have to worry about using up the RAM. So, even an old PC is faster on a DSL hookup than a new "speed demon" on a dial-up.

Sophocles
    Are the encode times for your system being OC(ed) or in a standard configuration for the system? Also, how many passes are you doing with the encodes? As for encoding times, I've noticed a wide variation. There appears to be different variables that affect time. Of course having a fast CPU and plenty of RAM is going to speed the process irregardless of the variables. That's just the way the setup works. I suspect your OC(ed) system outperforms stock AMD PCs as well as the Intel platforms. You have bragging rights, but your PC shouldn't be compared to normal out of the box PCs.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Scubabud

I could have ordered 15 mips down and and 2 mips up but I didn't see the point at this time. My downlads regularly hit depending on the site, speeds of 620 to 768 Kpbs. A 130 meg file takes about 6 to 8 minutes.

I know that I'm going to have to slow down a bit and learn to enjoy what I have but only after I get my system right to where I want it.

9. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Sophocles

The 2.0 Front Side Bus is my FSB in GHz.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear

Here is the best that I can do with my 3.4 Northwood as of late. I've also included a newer memory test after playing with the settings for the LAST time until I build a new system. I still prefer to keep my 3.4 to a mild 10% for 24/7 on times.

This Sandra CPU test was at 3.80.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Spider

I have three AMD systems and not a one of them have problems playing music or DVD's for that matter. I have AMD XP2500+, AMD 3500+Venice core, and my opteron system.

What type of sound card are you using?

12. Spider323

Spider323 Regular member

Sophocles

LOL. I didn't say I had any problem playing songs. I said that the visualization freezes for 1 sec sometimes. It's not a big problem since another member already confirmed that it's normal and happens to him too. But in case you want to know, I have Realtek AC97 onboard sound.

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Hey Sophocles,

You have to admit, it sure is a neat looking board!

[​IMG]

Whether I go with it or not is a good question. A lot depends on what Auto-Cad does with SLI. They are working on it!

Happy computering'

theonejrs

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's happened to me on the M360 with SoundMAX integrated sound, and on the XP 3000+ with all of:

Realtek AC97 Integrated
    SoundBlaster External MP3+ USB
    Guillemot Hercules Gamesurround Muse 5.1DVD PCI

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

It is a great looking board but in SLI it leaves only one PCI slot open and I can tell you right now that the cnps7700 is not going to fit because it will crash into the chipset heat pipe. I couldn't even use my corsair LLpro with it because it was too high, I had to go back to my old TwinX2048 3200C2

16. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

scubabud
    see how things do not make sence: here is my 3.2 prescott
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do you think?

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

baltekmi

Your DSL is fine, just the standard 1.5 Down and 350 up like most ASDL services.

As far as your scores, you've O/Clocked to 3.6 just like I O/Clocked to a normal 3.74.

We both need to move to AMD Dual Core if we want to run with the big dogs!!! LOL

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

What was it that didn't make sense. The ISP type is an estimate based on speed. A T1 line is 1.5 mbps up and down. If you have cable or a really fast DSL connection you are capable of reaching those speeds for downloads.

[​IMG]

My fastest speeds are around 720 to 760.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

And that with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I have the ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LEDn not the cnps 7700. I planned ahead! One of the things I considered Before I bought the 9500 was contact between the cooler and the cooling fins on the MB. I spoke to Asus and they assured me that if there was a room problem using the 9500, it would not be because of the MB. They said that they had tested that particular MB with the 9500 and it fits!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.