1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles

Well the fact that i blew away the 3.4 northwoods of scuba.
    but looking at your scores (benchmarks), i'll just wait for intel to match that or maybe I may go to AMD. With all the changes, i'll wait for awhile. I do not do encoding so that much power is not needed for me. right now in the real world my computer rocks. The only problem I have is with Microsoft Media Player droping out with an error message.

2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Oh here is a crazy thing. I saw where a local grocery store sells DRY ICE. I wonder what would happen if I took my fan off and placed a lil dry ice on the cpu. dry ice has no moisture but a limited life.
    hummmmm

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it's just WMP with an error message, update or use a different media player like winamp, itunes or powerdvd.
    I doubt dry ice would be effective on its own, because just ice cubes (albeit dry ones) put on top of a CPU is appalling thermal conductivity. If you had layers crushed dry ice on top of a full cooper heat-spreader then potentially, but I wouldn't want to try it personally.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@ baltekmi

Your scores are under my Northwood, not better then...

My Dhrystone = 11,428
    Yours = 10,587

My Whetstone = 8,178
    Yours = 7,475

My CPU-Z = 3.8
    Yours = 3.6

So I have a bit of a problem understanding your statement about blowing away the 3.4 Northwood, it's actually the other way around.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

You've come a long ways but Scuba still has the lead. All of you guys are at the top of what you can get so looking for more is not really and option. It's no big deal guys, a couple of hours of CCE will have them all come crashing down.:)LOL

Theonejrs

Sorry, I seem to be making a bad habit of assuming. The heatsink and fan that I origianlly recommended was the Cnps7000 because that's the one that I had. I just installed the cnps 7700 and it's a monster but it installed beautifully on my A8N-SL! premeium. I will repeat what I said further back in the thread. I don't thing that the A8N32-SLI is worth the money. It's more expensive than the Premium, you loose two PCI slots in SLI which you get to keep with the premium, it's scores are only in some benchmarks marginally better than the premium, and to make that work you've got to buy memory from corsair that Asus and Corsair designed together, which oddly enough is the same memory that I recently bought but won't work with the Cnps7700.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

In reality, the benefits between cards like the 7800GS (to my knowledge the fastest AGP card out there) in AGP 8x and PCIe 16x is pretty small, so for there to be a noticeable difference, the cards would have to be a lot more powerful than that, and there isn't a vast difference between the GS and 512GTX at present.

7. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles
    yes you are right in themath scores he does has an edge but not in the memory benchmarks. The other thing is I have a 3.2modaratly oc'd to get similar results as the 3.4 oc modaratly. I guess i was wondering what was the real difference, if all things equal between a northwoods and a prescott? sorry scubabud, it was not a personal attack. I just didn't word my question properly.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

The Presott has SSE3 instructions and the Northwood stops at SSE2 but there are virtually no SSE3 optimized software available. The Northwood on the other hand has shorter pipes and a lower voltage requiremens and when clocked at exactly the same speed as the Prescott it's actually a little faster.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

And a whole lot cooler running as well baltekmi and no offense taken. Like I stated before, we both need to move on to AMD Dual Core if we want to run with the big dogsā€¦ <G>

I'm curious to see how Brobear makes out with his but as Sophocles states I truly believe we are near the end of the line for what we have.

By the way Sophocles, how are you making out with your newest build, when will you have it up and running?

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Scubabud

It's done. I was not able to use my faster memory because of the height of the modules and my new heatsink and I chose to keep the heat sink for now and go with my older but still pretty good Corsair Twinx 2048 3200C2. I'm also waiting for a 120 MM case fan. I've posted some bench marks if you go back to the last page. Note that the speeds posted are more than 100 Mhz less than they will be by this time next week. When you see the memory score do yourself a favor and have a beer and don't cry. LOL

Oh what the heck I'll repost.

[​IMG]

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely jawdropping.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

Yes all of my encode times are the result of overclocking.

I always do two pass since that's the standard.

Yes my stock PC outperforms stock AMD's, I showed that in my benchmarks.

Of course my PC should be compared to "out of the box" PC's, everything should be on the table provided it's a single core against single core and dual core against dual core.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

ScubaBud
    I doubt the results will be much different with my system. There's only so far a person is going to push a P4 with air cooling. I should have gone with a 180 Opteron to begin with. I started out to just up the CPU speed on the Dell I have. Had I left things alone, it would have only been a $265 dollar upgrade. But I wanted more and better memory, about $200 more. Then I have to contend with a locked OEM mobo. So, for another $450 or so, I get a new mobo, case, and power supply. By now, I'm at about $915 for parts. The good thing is that the new case and power supply can be used for an AMD build. The optical drives and hard drives are also usable. To build a top line AMD now, all I need is the mobo, processor and a good 150GB Raptor, another $1200 or so.

Actually, I've only spent about $375 on Intel specific parts. All those parts can be put back into the Dell later for an excellent backup PC. It'll be better than many first string units others have. There's really not a lot of the original Dell left now. The case, power supply, mobo, floppy, and some cables are all that's currently operating from the original system. I'm starting to know how Sophocles feels with the excess parts inventory. A few more parts and I can have another good system in operation.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles,
    Just rhetorical questions for us. ;) We knew the answers. I was just pointing out your OC(ed) Opteron is capable of smoking both AMD and Intel in stock configurations.

Maybe I should have been more specific. Comparing your PC to those in stock confifurations shows the advantages of having a custom built PC that can be OC(ed) and tweaked. That comparison makes sense. However, for comparison of performance specs of your AMD over stock Intels doesn't make a lot of sense as your PC also smokes most stock AMD systems. You have bragging rights, but how many systems will be seen with a similar configuration as compared to the "out of the box" units most people buy.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Can I do a told you so? LOL

Go with the Opteron 175 it's almost $300 less than the 180, unless you're hedging your bets with a guarantee to beat me. LOL

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's nothing wrong with a little friendly competition!

There isn't a lot left of my main unit at present either, only the DVD-ROM, card reader, CPU and Mobo, plus IDE cables.
    I'll be aiming lower than opterons since I game heavily and will want a high end GPU (X1900XT) and as such cant afford to shell out on a big CPU. Besides, few people prebuild opterons.
    an X2 4200, 2GB of standard RAM and the XT should still perform admirably. I may be able to grab an AM2 one if I wait long enough, who knows?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

Things change! I wasn't considering an Opteron either. I had my eyes on an X4 4400 because the 175 was over $800 at the time but when I saw them drop in price, that was it I was onboard.

brobear

An Opteron 180 might give you an edge and then again it might not. There are different stepping series and some are better overclockers than others. I happened to have been lucky and got one of the good ones, not the best but a good one.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    Don't worry, when/if I go with an Opteron, I'll do some more research. For one thing, I've noticed one can easily get a 180 for about $80 or so less than Newegg's prices; making the 180 only about $200 more than the 175. ZipZoomFly is supposed to be reputable and they're selling their 180 for about $712. You know I'd spend the extra $200 if I had a chance at beating you with something. LOL

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

But you'll never be completely comfortable with the thought that I might be up to something else.:)(;. LOL

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I love it, and the best part is, it will never end!!!!!!
    we love more bigger faster.
    I'll be right behind you.lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.