1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

There you're wrong my friend. LOL [bold]I know you're usually up to something else.[/bold]

2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    me?? oh well you are right, I have been following this thread for awhile now. It seems the bear drops in as the voice of reason, or puts the hammer down on the not so smart. I know you will take this wrong, but I say this with admaration. now with that out of the way, it will take me untill next year to catch all of you. As I make all of my mad money from snowplowing in the winter in se Michigan. It started with a bang, but nothing since december. But by then all of this stuff we are talking about now will be old hat!
    Then hopefully it will snow like theres no tomorrow... and i will blow you all away... with.. an .. INTEL chip!!!

3. brobear

brobear Guest

The quote was from Sophocles and the response was directed toward him. However, the response appears to be applicable to most participants of this thread. Most of us would like to have a high performance system and as dollars permit, we'll tweak our toys. So, most of us are "up to something".

LOL BTW, good luck is all I can say. It'll take more than a little snow to get Intel back into the game. Intel appears to be going in the right direction with the mobile chips, but they're dragging their feet on the desktop processors. For better high performance Intel is going to have to do better with handling memory and improve the architecture so the processors will be more efficient (and run cooler).

Round here you develop a knack for checking your back for knives. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2006
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, we'll see who comes out on top, I can't wait...

5. brobear

brobear Guest

With the current state of technology, whoever will most likely have an OC(ed) AMD.

6. Triock

Triock Guest

Hey guys, i overclocked my 3700 to a 2.6 i can get to a 2.7 but it gets jumpy i.. i have a 38 gig hd at 7200 rmp's.. I am getting a 250 gig soon so what do i do to get it higher?

Thanx

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2600mhz is a lot, you're effectively running an Athlon64 4400+ (single core obviously) for 60% of the cost of a 4000+. Nice one!
    To get things higher, you need to get rock stable memory (like Corsair TwinX), good cooling and be lucky. Some CPUs will overclock more than others, especially top of the type CPUs.

8. Triock

Triock Guest

Thanx,
    He he, My dad does not know.. :)
    And uh i have 1 gig of crucial pc 2800 i think, It runs at 400 megahertz

and i am going to get the asus premium with a 6800 gt for x mas,

And comments?
    Thanx
    Triock

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Thinking about christmas already? Wow, some dedication. To be honest, if you're only ever going to have one GPU and you're not powermad, I'd go for the A8N-E instead, it's got most of the features and you save about whatever £60 is in US computer dollars (so probably about 100)

400mhz would be PC3200, and Crucial is a fine brand, so you should be OK with that. You may be running at the stable limit for the CPU in this instance, or other items such as the PCI bus are becoming unstable at such speeds, which would be solved by an Asus motherboard.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Sammorriss
    I don't know if you were around, but we went over the system with Triock at Christmas time. His dad had the last say as it was his bucks making the Christmas purchase. By inserting a bit of reality, I was once called the "Grinch who stole Christmas". The one stick of RAM means that there is no dual channel capability, that takes matched sets on a capable system. Another thing to remember is that C2 memory is needed to get better clock timing. If Triock gets caught messing around with the clock settings, his dad might take him for a visit to the woodshed or wherever. Triock's "Dear Old Dad" thinks we're a bunch of fools leading his young Triock astray. Plus, Daddy Triock has proven to have a temper and little Tiock likes to push his buttons. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2006
  11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hmm! I new about the Grinch part but you stole christmas too?

CAS2 isn't necessarily the best for overclocking but it is good. There are memor sticks that specialize in badnwidth instead of latencies such as DDR 500 PC4000C3 with timings of 3-4-4-8. This RAM has a higher overclocking potential than say DDR 400 PC3200C2 because it's native speed is 250 mhz where as the CAS2 is 200 mhz. With DDR 500 (AMD system) to overclock to 250 only the HTT needs to be dropped and the frontside bus upped, but with DDR 400, the memory divider needs to be dropped to 333 Mhz, the HTT to 4X, and the frontside bus upped.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

With those RAM packages, you're talking about even more expensive items and you're moving on up the scale away from the PC 2800. ... PC 3200, PC 3500, DDR 433, DDR 500...

Considering the performance chips are high end single cores and dual cores, a $200 3700 isn't going to be winning any bench races. So, Triock is OC(ing) his 2.2GHz Manchester to 20% to 25% with one stick of PC2800 C3 RAM. I'd think it's probably about to frag at 25% without the right supporting components. We've yet to see any benches posted or the CPUZ screenshots. Triock Daddy didn't pay for a performance machine. Triock has got a bunch of future birthdays and Christmases to think about upgrades. Since performance PCs are an expensive hobby for anyone without a job, I think Triock is going to have to get a job when old enough before he dabbles too much. Before he gets all the presents, his system is pushing obsolescence. Only 1 birthday and 1 Christmas per year.

Heck, I'm already working on Christmas 2008 with my old parts. LOL I have to steal a Christmas or 2 to catch up. ;)

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    I'm aware of the new memory being developed. I may not be up on the latest; but OCZ, Corsair and others were hard at work on the larger RAM cards to support the new 1GHz FSB systems. Higher speeds than the C2, but with slower timing; as you pointed out. I've not built anything yet that could benefit from those memory packages. I'm still playing with old parts. LOL I'll have to rethink memory when/if I build a true high end custom (or even a good middle of the road system).

The P4P800-E Deluxe arrived today. That was about 3 days instead of 5-7. I was called last Tuesday on order confirmation. So, I doubt parts of the order were shipped before Wednesday. Parts won't be overdue unless they don't arrive by the weekend. I can't finish the project parts order till I scope out the case, power supply and mobo fit. I want to keep things as cool as possible and that calls for a big Zalman. There was no way I could get the measurements without doing it manually when I start the build. On this one I get to put things together and then wait on the cooler to arrive before I crank it up.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

You mean the 3700+ San Diego? Triock hit 2.6 Ghz according to him but with that core and the right memory he should hit at least 2.72-2.75 Ghz. Oddly enough the high band width memory is actually a little less than fast latency C2 memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145596

My memory was little bit of both and it was expensive PC 433 3500C2 LLPro, but the heatspreaders were too high and so I can't use it. I had to go back to my original Twinx2048 DDR400 3200 C2 for now.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

Right on the core. I was thinking "write San Diego instead of Manchester" and ended up writing Manchester. The 3800+ is the Manchester. ;)

16. brobear

brobear Guest

As for Triock's system, I wonder how it would stand up to a few hours of Rebuilder at 2.7GHz. If it was jumpy, that would more than likely shut it down.

@Triock
    One of the requests made for participation in this thread was that any claims for building and OC(ing) be documented with Sandra and CPUZ.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It wouldn't even get to the encode stage if it's jumpy doing nothing. I wonder if he dropped his HTT to 4X?

18. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Let's ask him.

@Triock
    [bold]Did you drop your HTT to 4X?[/bold]

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Baltekmi,

I don't think you will be "Competing" for a while if you stay with Intel. It's going to take time for them to fill the gap between their strenghts and AMD's. You and I have gone about as far as money and our hardware can take us. I look at what I am competing against:
    [​IMG]
    Mind you, these are all stock. They are in order: My CPU, P4E530/800/1MB 3.0 OC'd to 3.60, P4E540 3.2, P4E550 3.4, P4E570 3.8. Not bad company! My numbers have come down slightly as I have made changes in my bios. Sometimes you have to give up something to get something. Like 28 MHz I lost by dropping my base fsb to 240, which improved my memory performance, which improved the "Real World" performance.

If you are a "Gamer", all the mips and mflops in the world won't do you a damn bit of good if you can't play your games. Also. I am aware that if I took that stock 3.8 and dropped it in my puter with default settings that it would run rings around what I have now. It would also perform better than it did in the "Stock" machine. I accidently did just that when I took my CPU out of my Dell 3000 and dropped it in this Asus MB. In the benchmarks and the "Real World" all the numbers were higher "STOCK"!!! Not to Shabby for a $139 CPU!

As far as I am concerned Asus makes the best motherboards. For the past 20 years they seem to have seemed to have stayed on the "Cutting Edge" of PC Tecnology. Both for Intel and AMD chips. Thay have worked close with not only iNvidia but Via and ATi as well!. I feel very safe in going for a Dual-Core AMD. Intel's history tells us that everytime since the 486 floating Point Fiasco, they made major changes to beat back the competition, it was a disaster. It took years after the introduction of the P3 for them to develop the "Coppermine" chip. Then they went and did the same stupid thing again and came out with the P4. It wasn't as good as the P3 it replaced!! They started with the Willimet, went to the Northwood and finally wound up where you and I are now, the Prescott! Can you say "Hot"? Add to that, "What is AMD going to introduce about a month after Intel shows the world their' new stuff? Just some food for thought!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

20. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Ok, I have read the threads. All saying AMD can do outstanding jobs at encoding. So am I to understand That the newer AMD chips can encode use the internet, listen to music and are best oc'd doing this?

also did anyone check out the new abit an8 n32x?
    how would that stack up to the asus a8n sli deluxe or similar?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.