1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A8N32 is a waste of time IMO, you need cards twice the power of the 7800GTX before that's going to become a problem. Before that occurs you'll want a DDR2 CPU & Mobo.

Intel seem to have a backwards-forwards technology oscillation. They brought us the original P3 such as my 450 (Mendocino was it?) then came out with the Coppermine, even badging it Cu on computers, I remember that, then saw sense and made a decent CPU with the Tualatin, up to about 1400. Then came the Willamette which was back a little bit, then back up to speed with the Northwood. Now we've gone back a stage again with the Prescott/Gallatin.
    Has anybody seen what Yonah is like yet?

As previously discussed, for best performance, get an AMD and overclock it with some decent memory and a good Asus Mobo. Once you're in place with good memory, a good board, good cooling and a high overclock, you're up there, especially with a dual core.

2. thejazman

thejazman Guest

Sammoris - What was with the personal attack just because I have two 7800gtx ?
    I didnt insult you for having an AGP X800PRO that wouldn't come anywhere near close to my twin 7800gtx in performance. Try playing the game FEAR and watch your pixcel and frames lock-up...which by the way doesn't happen with two 7800GTX's.

Anyway I took some good advise from you, I have added a 2nd Dual Opteron 280 to my board, I am just waiting now for something to give it a bloody good test.

Benchmarks to follow very soon.................
    Game test's will be run using the game FEAR.

2 x AMD Opteron 280 dual core 64bit (2.4Ghz-0.9nm-2Mb)
    Thunder K8WE (SCSI)
    SCSI Drive 73GB Ultra 320
    16GB OCZ Gold Series Gamer Extreme Ram
    3 x 300GB Barracuda 7200.8 HDD 8MB Cache
    2 x 7800GTX TDH Extreme SLI 256MB DDR3
    Dolby Digital 7.1 Sound Expert Optical 514DX
    Silverstone Zeus ST65ZF 650W PSU
    ThermalTake Kandalf Aluminium super tower
    Viewsonic NextVision N2750W TFT-HDTV 16ms
    Microsoft Windows XP Pro 64

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It wasn't really meant to be a personal attack. I know damn well that an X800PRO won't stand a chance against your 7800s, but in pretty much every game except FEAR (hmmm, funny that, how about any other games) a twin SLi combo performs about 10% above the latest single card, on average, and below in a few games. You may have the ultimate performance (as in an extra 3 or 4 frames per second) in a few games, but IMO, losing 10 frames per second in some other gain counteracts it to the extent that I personally don't think it beneficial, especially when it's three times the cost of, say an X1900XT-X or a 256MB 7800GTX.
    No one's gpt any right to give your system any stick mate, you've got pretty much the most powerful computer I've ever seen, but I can't help but wonder whether you would have been almost as well off with a single card, saving $1000. For people still in education (i.e. not employed) like me, you have to be reasonable about these things. $1000 is a lot of money to waste.

No offense meant at all, because it just isn't justifiable, but is the best of the best really the best?

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

thejazman

I'd be happy to just see some Sisoft benchmarks for CPU and memory.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah. Out of interest, how can you have 16GB of RAM? Do you have 8 lots of 2GB sticks? I wouldn't have thought there were that many of those in my country! Surely not 16 one gig sticks?

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Memory
    • 128-bit dual channel (interleaved) memory bus
    • Total eight DDR DIMM sockets (four per CPU)
    • Supports up to 16GB of Registered DDR
    • Supports ECC with CHIPKILL Technology
    • Supports DDR 400 / 333 / 266 memory

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?ProductID=11759

It is possible if you want to spend the money.

I too would love to see the Sandra on your setup thejazman... It should be absolutely awesome!

7. thejazman

thejazman Guest

Sammoris

Best to one person is not the best to all.

12 months ago the best to me was a 2 x 3.6ghz Zeon running on a Supermicro motherboard. Now that has been surpassed by my new 2 x Dual Opteron 280 on A Tynan motherboard and in 12 months from now I will upgrade again to what ever happens to be the best (money no object) at the time.

As for the graphic cards, the two cards in this system will be replaced within about 6 months to whatever happens to be cutting edge at that time.

You may ask why I waste so much money on the latest products but it is for the same reason why most people buy new cars even thoe the old one is great the new one is just better, you know the performance is better even if you can't quite use it all yet and the new gadgets which to start with are a novelty become invaluable and you wonder how you ever managed with out it. It's the same with my pc I only realise just how good it really is when I go to work and use a p4 3.6 machine and notice the slow boot up, the time it takes to save and the general operating of the machine is so poor compared to my home pc.

So for me now the best is what I have but it wont stay that way for long.

8. thejazman

thejazman Guest

4 x 2gb - It can only run a max of 8GB per CPU

Both CPU's have to have matching ram so if you have one CPU with 8gb of ram then you have to have 8gb for the other, total 16gb.

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yea right!! brobear spending $680 on an Opteron 180 just to beat out my system. He could get the Opteron 175 for $504 but first someone would have to turn the "jaws of life" on him so that his buttocks can be spread far enough apart to allow someone to get at his wallet without losing an arm or a hand. LMAO

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

REFURBISHED: AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 1GHz HT 2MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - OEM

Now why would someone return a perfectly good CPU... and to think you only need to spend $679.40 to find out!!! <G>

I would go with the extra $59 and get a fresh one, maybe even with all the pins in place as well! <G>

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

Hey, it"s still $121 to the good. what I'de really like to know is what the hell do they mean by refurbished? About the only thing you could do to one is straighten any bent pins! Maybe they dusted it. It's not like a car where you could pop the hood and install more L2 Cache. It also doesn't come with a warranty other than 30 days replacement or a heatsink and fan (no big)! If you bought one from a friend, you wouldn't have any warranty at all, but you would still probably buy it. I know I would! in fact I'm working on a deal from a friend for an FX60 right now (he's gone Mac).

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

P.S. I don't think it would take more than a Taser shot for someone to get your wallet out. Besides, the "Jaws of Life" would be way too big anyway! Maybe some Forceps or a Speculum but then you might get meaner than [bold](Dare I say it?)[/bold] a Bear! He He!!

TheOne

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

REFURBISHED: AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 1GHz HT 2MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - OEM $679.40 $1.00 Three Day Shipping

or

AMD Opteron 180 Denmark 1GHz HT 2MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - OEM $739.00 Free Three Day Shipping

$58.60 for a new OEM model. The Retail version is $810.00 with heatsink and fan. <G>

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Theonejrs

And you know this how?

15. brobear

brobear Guest

ZipZoomFly has the 180 retail for $712. I'd spend the extra $32.60 for a new one with a better guarantee.

I have no idea why I'm seeing all the "tight" jokes. I just spent nearly $500 on parts with more to be ordered; not counting what I got around Christmas. Since it would take about another $1000 for a high end dual core build using some of my present components, I'm delaying the big build until later. It's more to see what is being developed than being a CAB. If the wife catches up with me, I'll have some explaining for what I've already done. She starts wondering when the big brown truck starts showing up.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

... every morning.

LOL

17. brobear

brobear Guest

I just love the way Thermaltake breaks up the wiring instead of having them in connectors. I had to cross reference the Thermaltake guide and the Asus guide to wire up the extra USB, mic, and earphone jacks. I put the Asus mobo in the Thermaltake Armor Super Tower last night. Now I get to wait on some more parts. The big Zalman's fit, so I'm ordering one today. Also, I've decided to get some new cards instead robbing the other system. I may have to do like Triock and wait till Christmas to get the big toys for the Dual Core build. ;)

18. Triock

Triock Guest

hey guys, all i did was change my fsb from 200 to 245 i think.. i havent changed anything else.. BTW, Remember how i had the 40 gig IDED 7200 rmp hd? Well i just bought a 250 gig sata 2 hard drive, i think it is a seagate.. :)

i dont know how change anything else.. :)

And i know yall have gone over it, but i still cant find out how to post my sandra and cpu-z, Not to mention me not having internet.. i got grounded.. :(

But i droped it down from the 2.7 to a 2.6 to be on the safe side.. i installed age of empires mythology i a different dirrectory because the other one was messing up.. ?

But the highest i could go was a 2.72.. without changing the voltage which i dont want to do..

any comments?

Thanx,
    Triock

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Okay Soph, you and the rest here can help me spend my money. Which is preferrable, the X800 or the X1600 Radeon? Anyone seen good prices, let me know, I need to get a video card on order.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'll ask tom and his hardware. I'd personally think an X800(GTO or XL) would be better but let's see.
    Right, basically the X1600XT outs the X800 in some games, but performs below it in others, so they're about even. Consequently, an X800GTO/XL would outperform the X1600XT, so go with the 800.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.