1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

I would go with the X800 as it has more potential. It has more pixel pipelines. To me that means if the programing is right, games and just about everything should run better.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely. The X1600, whilst new is a midrange card. The X800, whilst older, was a top of the range card, and it isn't that long since the X800 came out (because it wasn't that long since we paid a hefty sum for mine, £289 ($505 by today's standards) for a PRO, since the XT wasn't available for another two months. This was late september 2004, we first tried to buy the XT in June, but caved in three months later accepting we wouldn't find one...

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

Are we talking about AGP or PCIe cards (wonder who brought the "jaws of life" out) because that makes a difference. And as you all know I have a X800 Pro

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That was PCI express, and I assume AGP is what's being played with here, but in all honesty, while AGP changes the performance level, looking at benchmarks, the X800 is still the better option, particularly the XL. Avoid the 512MB XL though because it's more expensive than the superior 256MB X850XT.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I just figured that with all the shoving, prodding, kidding, joking and fighting (in a nice way of course), you have been doing these past months since I joined this forum in getting him to see the light. I'de say he has seen the light and is about to get even! Opteron 180 (Denmark), Hmm!!! Quality memory, Hmm!!! Asus SLI MB, Hmm! Now a premium video card. I'm thinking PCIE 16x, Hmm!!!!! Should be fun to watch.

My own devious plans are coming along nicely. I'm working hard on getting that FX60 Toledo. Especially since they go for around a Grand new! Basicly the deal is this. He has a dollar figure in mind for the whole computer with the FX60 ( I know it but I'm not trying to sell something on this Forum). He's going to sell it with an Athlon 64 x2 3800+ that he picked up cheap in a MB deal. When he sells it, the price difference in dollars, is what I pay for the CPU. The computer should sell easily as all the goodies are going with it as well. As for the goodies, Just add the 4GB of Premium memory, the 16x PCIE 16x video card and the "Bitchin" 17" Widescreen monitor it should make that 3800+ "Tap Dance" at the top of it's game! Especially considering none of this stuff would work on the Mac anyway. It's a monster waitng to be un-leashed!!! Add a 4400+ Toledo to it and someone will have a front line gamer!

I'm just real lucky that he had the spare CPU! I'm hoping the price will wind up around $500 and $600 (USD) Then I can get in on the fun too!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

The card is for the Asus P4P800 board, so AGP. Sophocles... I realize you have the 800 Pro. Sometimes people have an epiphany when it comes to their personal experiences with particular electronics. Sammorris suggests the XT over the Pro. Is that worth the slight money difference?

Don't worry, I haven't bought into building a "bench racer" yet. When/if I do, it would have at least the 180 Opteron in it; definitely AMD if Intel doesn't get back into the show. With the newer tech, I'd have the PCIe 16 video card(s) of course. Though I'm not likely to buy a complete SLi system, it would at least be SLi capable. For my current usage though, dual GPUs are nothing I need.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2006
  8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Not to sound totally stupid, define: encoding?
    To me is it like coping a dvd from a rental store?
    I uses dvd x copy plat with any dvd and always have perfect results.

also is this a good deal?

[​IMG]

9. Triock

Triock Guest

Help?

??? BTW: I herd that radion has and is not doing good with the pci-e i would go with a 6800gt or a 7800 gtx.. They will statisticly give you the better performance.. :)

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear

Do you do any games or are you planning on just using your new board for encoding, surfing, etc.?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Back this up please. Besides, it's false. see THG's vga charts 8 and the x1900 article. Although the lead is small, the nvidia cards are far more expensive than atis, and you need a £400 GTX to beat a £250 X1900.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Irrelevant as I am dealing with an AGP slot, PCIe will be another build later on.

ScubaBud
    Mostly encoding. I may get into some gaming, but it isn't a priority. Sophocles obviously likes his X800 Pro. There's not much difference in price between the XT and Pro. I was just curious on everyone's thoughts about the XT and Pro and between the 800 and 1600 series. The 1600 doubles the RAM, but it's a different type and I'm curious if it would make a difference. It's sort of a question of older "top line" vs newer "mid line" hardware.

Triock
    If you're repeating something you read, give us a link. As a PC novice, your giving input on a custom build is curious. As I mentioned, pay attention to what is being discussed. I posted previously that I'm working with a socket 478 mobo with an AGP slot.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It plays all the games that I throw at it. But PCIe is a 16X card versus AGP which is 8X so that's going allow a few more frames and a faster CPU will yet again allow for a few more still. Overclock the GPU and memory (my cards a decent overclocker)and a few more frames again. The hard part is finding one for an AGP port.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=326817-OP

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles & Brobear,

Here's the 3D marks from Tom's Hardware for the slower of the 7800GS cards. Not too bad at all.

[​IMG]

Should be a good upgrade for those with an 4x-8x AGP slot!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

15. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Theonejr,
    I don't get it. Are you promoting the X850XT ATI. Faster at half the price.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  17. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Am I being ignored?
    theonejrs
    what temps would you consider high for the prescott?

18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    and what cpu from tom's hardware was used to come to those stats?
    I have the bfg 6800 ultra and I get a 5932 on the 3d marks.

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

the ATI-Radeon-X850 XT Platinum is a great card i play GR and BF2 online with a LCD montior , looks beautiful but it ran me about 600 bucks i got it the first week it came out

20. brobear

brobear Guest

baltekmi
    Putting it as simply as possible, transcoding entails changing part of the DVD content while encoding reconstructs the content. The Glossary here at AD may fill you in a bit better. The Glossary is a good spot to start a check when you don't understand a process or term. A lot of people use encoding and transcoding interchangeably, not knowing the difference. Encoding is a higher quality process while transcoding is faster. As long as the compression levels aren't too high a transcoder does okay.

There's nothing wrong with XCopy as long as it works. However, it has always been overpriced at regular retail. A lot of people suffered interference problems with it. AnyDVD is one of the favorite decryption tools, you did good on that choice.

How could we tell you if that's a good deal on the FX 55 and mobo without knowing the cost of the CPU and who manufactured the board. When asking about "deals', it's a good idea to furnish the links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.