1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Baltekmi,

My cpu temp used to go as high as 68C before I got the Zalman. It ran O.K. but the high temp made me nervous. The CPU used in those 3D benchmarks was an Athlon 64. A 3200 I think! Not trying to ignore you just busy. Have a nice day.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

2. Triock

Triock Guest

Hey, I read it on tomshardware of of some of the graphs.. And of of some mags. but got in my 250gig sata2 hd in yesterday, And my dad is trying to drop an image from my 40 gig ided with ghost and i doesent want to go, any ideas would be aprecitated.
    :)

Thanx,
    Ryan

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

the X850XT, of negligible difference to the PE, is significantly cheaper than the 7800GS, AGP or PCIe, at least in the UK and probably US too.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

Using which version of 3Dmark?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,

This is true but it is PCI Express. I need AGP for my Intel. The AGP version of the X850 is the same price as the 7800. Some people like Chevys and some people like Fords. I like nVidia so I'll probably go that route, if the price goes down some. Right now the 7800 AGP is the fastest AGP card around! According to Tom's Hardware.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

7. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

bro bear
    On the nvidia, if you show purchase fron tiger direct and 3 or 4 other places you get a free mobo. I guess i should of been more spacific. anyway i got my dvd x copy for 69.00. and now there is support back for it I have the links for all the program files as long as you have a reg/pass. If you have a problem they will extent you installs. But yes you are right on the anydvd. It Rules!
    i can do a complete copy in 25 min.

8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles
    I used 3d mark5 with 2 gigs of ram at fsb 36.8 i could go over 6000 by uping the fsb. but gets unstable over 3.8

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Same price would be pretty spot on. At OCUK they're both £211.44 ($370.76) Wow, that's quite a difference over the PCIe version.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    The price on the Opteron 180 keeps looking better. I'm still trying to finish up this old tech build for now though. I'll probably order the CPU cooler and video card this weekend to finish it off. Everything else is in the case and wired up. I didn't realize the Thermaltake Armor was so large. Liquid cooling wouldn't be a problem with this one. It already has the openings to pop open for the lines and plenty of space. BTW, do you use the audio off the Asus P4P800 mobo or did you go with a sound card?

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

The sound that's built into the P4P800 is excellent. I took out my Sound Blaster Live card and use the built in. The sound quality is excellent, espacially when decoding PL-II. The feed to my Surrond sound is a Dolby compatible down-mix which is much better than what I got with the SB. I watched "Interview With the Vampire" last night and the sound is amazing. Just like a movie theater.

You are going to be very happy with your new MB. It will probably run your 3.4 better with the default settings than it ever ran in your Dell. That's what I found when I built mine. I went from a Dell 3000 to this computer. I just took everything out of the Dell and installed them in this machine. When I first fired it up it was like I had moved up to a much faster CPU! The performance difference was very noticeable, even at the stock settings. Now that it's "tweaked", It rocks! You've seen my Sandra numbers so you know that it performs well for what it is. When I went to the Corsair XMS memory I gained about 500 MHz in the memory bandwidth test. What amazes me is that my relatively inexpensive PNY Optima memory also runs at 2 2 2 5 with no problems, so now I have 2 gigs.

I put the original 2.8/533, the original drives and PC2700 memory it came with back into the Dell and sold it to my neighbor. Since he was moving up from a 733/133 P3, he was very happy to get it. I didn't lose any money on the deal as I sold it for what I paid for it, so it worked out well for both of us!

I can't wait to see the difference in your Sandra numbers!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I just visited Tom's Hardware and discovered that I downloaded the wrong 3D benchmarks. This one includes both of the 7800 cards as well as some others.
    [​IMG]

Like I said, it's the fastest AGP card on the planet!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

The memory is in the mail, it should be there sometime next week.

That's a nice tower, big but nice. LOL I just shelved my full tower for a smaller case. It took up more space than I needed so I went with a coolermaster mid tower instead. It has 5 X 51/4 inch bays which I will never fill. It does a great job of cooling with a 120 MM intake fan, 120 MM exhaust fan, another 120 mm intake and exhaust on my power supply which sucks air directly from my CPU's rising heat and then exhausts it out the back. I had to tack down a poster on my wall to stop it from being blown around by the exhaust. I'm using the CNPS7700 for CPU cooling and it also cools my chipset as well. Running RB and CCE my full load temps never went above 46 degree celsius.

In regards to onboard sound. I don't have any speakers hooked up to my old P4 but if I did I would buy a dedicated sound card. The onboard sound works ok as a temporary solution but it isn't audiophile quality. In my main rig I have even better onboard sound (7 channel)thatn the P4800SE, but I don't use it I use my soundblaster Audigy 2 platinum which is much better.

The problem with onboard sound is that it uses software decoding which is vastly inferior to hardware decoding. It is especially bad when playng back DVD's because it is limited to 16 bit 44.1 Khz sound and DVD's are recorded in at least 24 bit 48 Khz sound with most going up to 24bit 96 Khz sound. Another benefit of a hardware decoder is that it doesn't rely on your CPU for processing and the good ones come with on board surround sound decoding which is why I have a 22" monitor and 400 watt rms surround sound speakers.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Theonjrs

It depends on the settings used but at any speed ATI cards render a sharper and more color accurate picture.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah I keep hearing that, and not just here, but where can I find some proof of it? It's not that I don't believe it, but I would like to see for myself the difference. Being a quality over performance man, I tend to try and locate the sweet spot for performane vs fps, even if it means during very intense periods theres a slight blur because most of the time, there isn't.
    Do you know of any quality tests for ATis versus nvidias?
    I would be particularly interested in later (X1800/1900 vs 7800) benchmarks.

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

I prefer the ATI cards myself also, and brobear iam with Sophocles i would go with a dedicated sound card on that nice of a machine they pretty inexpensive

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sammorris,

I don't know how much more proof you need. On the last benchmarks from Tom's Hardware I posted, both ATIs and the 6800 Ulta are PCI Express x16s and the Evga card beats them all in all resolutions! Looks like a good deal at $299(USD)!

Sophocles,

I'm sorry but I don't quite find that statement to be accurate. I've found that a great deal of accurate color and sharper images is more dependent on the quality of the monitor than the video card, at least when dealing with higher quality video cards and monitors. Even my lowly 5200 renders magnificent color and sharpness on my DEll D 1226H 19" flat screen monitor! And that's with the default settings! I would never get rid of this monitor (one of Dell's best!) and would pay the money to get it repaired if it broke. They still sell for around $150 on E-Bay. Not too bad for a nearly 6 year old monitor! I can hone the video settings and create a color profile but I've never found it necessary. I just got done watching "The Secret of Nimh" and the colors and sharpness are magnificent! I use PowerDVD 5 which helps too! I run 1280 x 1024 on this 19" and have no trouble seeing anything. Text is pin-point sharp, too! I'm sure that it's low dot pitch (.025) has a lot to do with it as well.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Theonejrs

I noticed that you didn't include the model number of your monitor. Here's mine Viewsonic P225f, it's a professional grade 22 inch monitor and I run my graphics at 1600 by 1200. For playback I use WinDVD 7.

Most people that go to DVD Hounds thinks that the forum colors are grayish but in truth they're grayish shade of brown, with brown being the predominant tone.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

That's one of the first thing I noticed when I joined AD. I like the color of the page. It's much more friendly to the eyes. Sort of a "very" pale Brown or TinTone. Definately leans toward brown!

I did include the model of my monitor! Maybe it was during an edit (where I added the model #) and it wasn't there yet!

Even at 1280x1024 the text remains sharp and clear! [bold]Everyone[/bold] who has ever seen my computer tells me that it's the best picture they have ever seen. [bold]All![/bold] just stand there transfixed by the picture. Maybe I got one that was built on a Wednesday, I don't know. Maybe the settings inside this one are absolutely perfect and spot-on. Again, I don't know and I'm not going to fool with it to find out! The guy that sold it to me for $50 2 years ago tried to reneg on the deal when he found out what they were going for on E-Bay. He tried to lean on me Physically and got to learn the hard way, "other uses for an Axe Handle!" Sort of equalizes my 5'9" 140 lbs. against his 6'4" and 215 lbs., plus my then 59 years against his 23! His Aunt (my landlady) heard all the comotion and came to see what was going on. When she found out she had a fit and told him that he sold it to me for $50, and that was that! He tried to say that he had given it to me for a $50 deposit to see if I wanted to buy it but she didn't buy that one either!

I don't know what it is about this particular monitor but I have seen the same model that belonged to other people and theirs just did not look as good. Very good, mind you but just not as good. I've owned well over 100 monitors (I used to buy a new one just about everytime something new and better came out) and I have never seen a better picture on a monitor than this one!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I was referring to DVD Hounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.