1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    my Concern is this. I am fine with what i have. I have never seen such an explosion of chips from both AMD and INTEL. And 1000. prices!
    You think you were buying a Cray computer.I am just wondering how long my 478 platform will be viable for software before I am so obsolete that nothing will run on my computer, With the 64 bit here It is just a matter of time before there Is a new windows That you will need in order to run the new stuff. It just seems to me that all the companies keep reinventing the computer so that we as consumers have to go to the new tech. I guess I am just frustrated.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Loud radio... damaged hearing... not good. Fast PCs, hopefully cool and quiet... good. PC forum good. Radio in PC forum... not good. PC audio... good (just not loud enough to hurt the ears, lol).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2006
  3. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

aabbccdd
    Again, and i might have mispoke before. A CAR, everyday car. Not a van or truck or semi. Cannot produce this type of result. loets get over this and back to computers if you want to talk spls and road races, lets start a new thread.

4. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    yes I agree, so an answer to my previous question would be helpful.
    Thanks

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Since not many systems come stock with a 955 Presler, I wonder what is considered the stock heatsink. Missing was actual measured temps, just the person mentioning a personal comfort zone (whatever that is). A modest 10% bump with OC(ing) isn't unreasonable. I'd still keep a close tab on temps with stock cooling though. I only wonder what the life expectancy at 10% will be with stock cooling. As noted in the review, going on toward 15-20% leads to overheating which is easily believable. Nothing too far out of the ordinary. When I put the 3.4 Northwood in where the 2.8 was, there was no overheating. That wasn't OC(ing) though.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2006
  6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For the record l8nights has a 920 dual core and had it up to 3.8 ghz when encoding. Makes the 1100 P955 seem like a waste.
    This was on the stock heat sink.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

170dB, I can't even imagine it!

8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sammorris ,that was almost 180 db wow huh , keep in mind guys you have to double the power to rasie it 3db at a time so if your running 140db is is amazing to get it to 179 you have to doulbe the power 36 times

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not quite, you double the power 39/3 times so 13. 2^13 = 8192. 8000 times as loud as standing right infront of a jet engine at full pelt. That's jawdropping.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Pray tell how that affects the price of silicon? ;) Baltekmi was right, that needs to be taken to the automotive audio section.

Donald
    I wonder how the performance of a 955 compares to a 920 when the 955 is set up for optimum performance. I like the faster FSB and the increased L2 cache. According to the resident experts at some of the media sources like PC World, the 955 is the best thing down the pike yet from Intel on the duo cores. I'm happy for L8, but like all things, the CPUs have been progressing; bragging rights one day and being "an also ran" shortly after.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2006
  11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Also, how much faster is an OCed 955 than an OCed 920? I'd quite like to see the results of that.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Ditto. For those not understanding the word, I second that.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2006
  13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

14. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Starting to look as though Intel may be getting close enough to muddy the waters. LOL I'll believe it only when some reliable sources start to confirm that though.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah precisely, it's a bit sudden...

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It's doable he just didn't use his decimal points, or give the actual model number of his board and CPU. What he was saying is that he was able to get it to run at 3.733 Ghz and that that speed on a single chip would run considerably less than half the speed of my system.

l8nights did get his dual core to 3.8 Ghz and even at that speed it ran slower than either 6402's or my system.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The Conroe setup should be a decent processor. A far cry from the lame prescott stuff they have been putting out. But I'll wait to see the unbiased results when it actually hits the market.

18. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The 955 was overclocked. It just didn't seem to have anymore OCing headroom than the 920. Seemed liked a better deal.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

That's often the problem with buying too high. The benefit is that higher clock multipliers require less stress on memory and thus for more agressive memory settings.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.