1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

ScubaBud

No worries, I'm just yanking your chain a bit. brobear will tell you that I like to do that a bit to stir things up, and he'd be telling you right now but I'm yanking his on another thread.;)

2. brobear

brobear Guest

As though I'm not doing any yanking. LOL Guess what got in the other day for my latest project? It ends with CNPS7700 . ;)

3. brobear

brobear Guest

I've got so many fans on this last project, I hope it doesn't launch when I hit the power. LOL 7 fans total counting the case, power supply and the CPU FHS.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

[bold]IT'S HERE!!![/bold]

When I got home this evening, there was a rather large box in front of my bedroom door. The Sceptre Naga III is here. Newegg does it again! It was ordered yesterday (Tue.) morning. Before I installed it, I went into the video settings and changed the frequency to 60 Hertz. That was all I had to do. I fired it up and it came on at my present resolution 1280x1024. No flickering what so ever! My PCI 5200 has digital output but my AGP 8x doesn't! I'll just wait for whatever I get for the new build and hook it up analog. I was pleasantly surprised to find that now it lists 1680x1050 so I set it to that.

There are not enough words to tell you how great the picture quality is. It's just beautifull. The screen height is the same as my 19" flat screen (15 3/4") CRT except that now the picture is 17" wide in stead of 14 3/8". I popped in Spy Kids 3 2D and was just blown away. This is a must have for anyone who wants to invest in a widescreen 20.1" monitor. I don't think you can beat it for the price Text is crisp and clean and the colors are just amazing with no bleeding or over luminance or chroma. I will enjoy this for a long time to come. I highly recomend it!!!

Very Happy Computering,

theonejrs

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Why don't you send it to me so I can compare it to my CRT monitor? I promise to send it right back on a slow mule through the Great Plains. LOL By the way, I have this little bridge in Brooklyn... On a serious note, it would be interesting to see what you're praising. Too bad you don't live in the neighborhood. I've not seen one of the Sceptre's on display anywhere. So, I'm unfamiliar with them and no way of making an informed decision on one as far as purchasing.

As for Newegg making a 2nd day delivery, it should be easy for them with your being in the same state. Make that on another side of the country in a rural setting and their shipping times will vary to some extent, sometimes 5 to 7 days depending on when the order was placed. Sophocles commends them on their customer satisfaction. I consider a bit more in satisfaction than ease of returns. Difinitely one of the criteria though. Sometimes the shipments from Newegg lag and their prices aren't always the best. So, I suggest users shop around among the top vendors. Tomshardware has a good search engine for components and lists best prices and reputable vendors. When I was doing my last project, I found most of my merchandise using the engine and the prices were noticably lower to Newegg's. So much lower in fact that I purchased elsewhere. So far, they've been as courteous or more so than Newegg. Newegg made a name for their company, now it seems they're cashing in on it. In other words, if they're as good as reputed, their prices should be better. Another source for good buys and reputable dealers is with sales search engines such as Bizrate. If the prices are close, I might go with Newegg, but most of my recent purchases were too high at Newegg.

6. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    I have been looking at those Sceptre monitors, I really like em a lot. When you get yours and get it up and running let me know how it looks especially the brightness and clarity. also aren't you running the zalman 9005 cpu fan? if so how much space is needed from the cpu to case? ok?

7. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Sophocles
    how do you like the raptor 150? Is there as good as stated? I want to get one to replace my 36. Is it possiable to transfer everything to a new 150(os is on my 36) and just replace it with the 150?

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Baltekmi
    Check the Zalman website. There's a lot of compatibility info with various boards and clearance specs you need for installation. They also have little "how to" videos on installation.

9. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear
    if you have a circit city nearby, they may have some on display. the one here in kalamazoo, mi, does.

10. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

to all
    personally I have had a much better experience with Tiger Direct. It used to be that there prices were in line with Newegg but always had high shipping. New egg used to have great shipping price, but that has gone way up also. BUT!!! They always beat Tigers prices. But since they are 176 miles from me, I always get any order the next day.
    I visited there store one weekend( the warehouse is in the back), it was awesum. To see so many computer products all in one place, well it was a moving experience. Wife wasn't as thrilled!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

No Circuit City in near a 100 mile radius. Actually that's only 55 to 60 miles as the crow flies, but crows bump their bottoms on the hills around here. LOL I live in a rural area. It's about equal distance to Knoxville, TN and Kingsport, TN and the other cities large enough to have a Circuit City are even farther. I checked the store locator. About all we have is Wal Mart, Sears, Penneys, and the usual stores seen in most small towns, such as Radio Shack (not even one of those in the closest small town).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2006
  12. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

13. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

So brobear, you are a "country boy"...lol:)
    Also, you guys may consider LG brand. It is an offbrand(made By sony). You will not find a review or link, That Links LG to sony but this is the truth. My father in law has been in the business for 40 years as sales rep for pioneer, cerwin vega, klipch and electravoice EV...etc. Then started his own consuting firm. If you have ever been to Disney World in Florida, his company did the sounds system there.
    Anyway Making a short story way too long. He has inside info. And the free stuff he sends me is over the top!

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

theonejrs , i knew you like it ,i have the Veiw Sonic 20.1 that iam running at 1600x1200 at 70Hz and wow gaming on it and watching a dvd is life like, amazing picture

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Baltekmi
    At least you didn't use the old bear in the woods pun. That one's old. I tired of the city lights several years back and opted for a life in the country where life is a bit more laid back and the crime level isn't so high. Thanks for the insight on LG, but I didn't consider it an off brand. They've been making some good equipment. I've heard a lot of good "word of mouth" recommendaitons for the brand and I've noticed the brand in several stores. I've also noticed the ads in a number of leading publications. So they're not exactly unknown. On some equipment, I think I'd prefer the LG over the Sony.

17. Triock

Triock Guest

Hey, Well i have my 3700 at 2.2 whichj is stock. But i set myne at gaming to a 2.65, I was wondering if if it is unsafe to keep going back and forth.. Is that o.k. To do?

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's been a while, AD stopped emailing me about new posts until today, and I haven't thought to check back. I personally see the FX60 topping the Conroe slightly, and you can bet that once the Conroe is out up and running the FX60 is going to drop in price. The same has happened with the X1900XT-X and 7900GTX graphics cards, as soon as the latter having been released, the former has gone from £382 to just £306. ($667 to $534). The FX60 may be slightly hotter, but it'll run better and almost undoubtedly overclock better. While I like ATi's graphics cards, their motherboard chipsets are agreeably flawed, so that's a choked FX60 they're using.

Glad you're sceptre monitor's as cool as it is theonejrs, I'll look into your thread shortly.

Repeated Overclocks are best done with software because it's easier, but there shouldn't be any harm in changing the settings of the CPU often. Personally, if it games at the overclock and stays stable, I'd leave it OC'ed.

20. Triock

Triock Guest

Yeah i know, I was just wanting to make sure nothing would happen if i did it repeatedly. Thats all.. And i am going to get a 7900gt video card from egg for 309.00 It is cheaper than the 7800gtx and has the same specs... What do u think.. and i am getting a lcd monitor.....

PS: I was wondering if it has 2 imputs on it, Can i run 2 monitors of of 1 video card?

Thanx,
    Triock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.