1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7900GT may seem to have the same specs, but a mid-type card of the range may not have everything that the top-end one does. You might want to thoroughly check the specification, or just buy an X1900 since there's been a recent price crash.

You can run two monitors off one video card, but you need to make sure your windows desktop and graphics drivers allow it.

2. RebelRide

RebelRide Member

My 3.2 prescott not overclocked idles all day @ 32C. 1.5 hours of encoding video 49C. 450 watt P/S, stable voltages across the board.
    If you're running above 38C idle, somethings wrong (assuming you're in a 22C room).

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

RebelRide,

I don't know a thing about 3.2s but I do know that a 2.8/533 Northwood w/512Mb PC2700 ran in the mid to high forties. The default settings in Asusprobe for the 3.0 is 72C on my motherboard (Socket 478). One would suspect that with these default settings Asus pretty much knew before the Prescott came out that heat was going to be an issue. You don't see default settings anywhere near that high on an AMD socket 939 or socket A Asus board! I believe that the default setting is somewhere around around 50C. 47C comes to mind!

One of the things I've learned using Asusprobe is that certain settings run hotter or colder than others. When I was oc'd to 3.60 and upped it to 3.70 the temps dropped an average of 8C. The computer ran great until the first time I used DVD Shrink at 3.70. It failed. I was getting read errors. As soon as I backed it down to 3.60 the temps went back to 47 and 58. I ran the same backup with shrink and it worked fine.

Brobear,
    Since you've seen it displayed, what do you think cause I think it's "Bitchin"!!! There a few things I don't like about it like at the native resolution some of the colors change to pastels. The most annoying one is pale green. I've gone into the options as well as the folder settings and can't make them change. A big plus that I discovered is that when the screensize called for by the program you're using comes on it's always native!!! By that I mean the max is 1860x1040. Anything smaller and the exact amount of "real" pixels are used to reproduce the "native resolution" of the moment! I watched the old Errol Flynn movie Robin Hood and at it's native resolution it was magnificent. I'm talking about a 60 year old movie. Film only!!! No tape!! That was both the curse and the beauty of Technicolor. It was a black and white process but the color was the best the industry had to offer until the advent of modern graphics. The Technicolor process was expensive as it used 3 times as much film. That was it's curse!

Tonight I'm going to watch "The Matrix"! It should be a trip. Hey, Wine, Woman, and a great movie!!!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

no it isn't.
    A CPU is safe idling up to about 52-53C, mine i believe idles at around 49. In heavy load it only goes up another 5C, but then again I have an older Athlon XP which doesn't use cool and quiet.

Theonejrs, I liked the use of technicolor, as a matter of fact I have a collection of the Tom & Jerry cartoon on my PC, and for its age it looks brilliant. Obviously animation isn't the best that the process could be used for, but the colour really is vivid and enlightening.

5. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Triock
    Have you looked at the bfg cards, they have better specs. and a way better warranty. yea they are a few dollars more but not that much.

6. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

yes i belieave somthing is wrong with your mobo or software,,, unless you are running it in a freezer with the case open.....berrrr

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Idle @ 32c sounds more like a Northwood not a Prescott.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Idle 32C sounds more like off if you ask me... :p
    32ºC is a very low idle temperature for a prescott.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

This is the lowest Idle temp I have ever had with my 3.4 Northwood and lately it's more like 36-38C when my room temperature is around 26C.

[​IMG]

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

RebelRide,

I would be very suspicious of your temperature probes accuracy. These are not normal temps for any Prescott I know of. The motherboard temp should be higher than that!

Do you have this thing set up in the freezer? At idle at an ambient temp of 22C my MB idles at 34C and the CPU at 47C. According to the information I got from Intel, this is ice cold!

http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm

Scrool down and you will see all the P4s up to a 3.4. Check out your 3.2!

Intel tries to get sneaky, never giving actual CPU temps! They only give max case temps. Virtually all the P4s listed have a max case temp of 69.1C or above. If I had a case temp of 69.1C or above, Asusprobe would have already shut down the system. They also mention that 35C is considered normal ambient temperature which would be a very warm room. For my particular P4, 3E478-pin FC-PGA2 the max case temp is 69.1C with a max inlet temp of 38C. That's one very hot room as 38C is over 102F!

According to this information, there is something wrong with your temp probes as your temps are way too cold! The 3.2E (1 MB Cache) is the hottest running CPU on the list at 73C+. If you have the 3.2 (512 KB Cache), it still maxes out at 70C!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  11. RebelRide

RebelRide Member

Room temp is actually 20C not the 22C I referred to earlier. Set up is as follows:
    Gigabyte Titan series mobo(second one this cpu has been installed in),3.2E 478 pin Intel Prescott cpu, rocket fan on the cpu, Atop X-blade case with 120CM fan(additional 80CM fans in the hard drive bay).
    This cpu has run at this temp [bold](32C @ IDLE)[bold] since I purchased it just over a year ago. My 2.4 prescott does run slightly higher (gigabyte mobo, generic mid tower w/80CM fans, stock chip cooler) but still [bold]idles[bold] under 38C. [bold]My temp threshold stays set @ 48C[bold] with audible alarm. So.... I don't know why, but these are the temps I'm running on this setup.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

RebelRide,

I'm not questioning you word, I'm questioning the accuracy of your temp probes or MB. I've run P4s from 1.4 to 3.0 and I have [bold]never[/bold] seen or heard of temps that low. Especially the case temps. I put the thermol probe in my clock radio (radio off) and it's 36C! You have too many sources of heat in a running computer for it to show a temp of 28C. It's just not possible! Even if you cooled the CPU with Liquid Nitrogen there is still the heat of the chipset, memory, hard drive(s), video card and the remaining electronics that needs to be removed! All the heat from that wattage should be up around 36C-37C inside the case.

On mine I use a Zalman 9500 LED CPU cooler. This is a [bold]"Premium" Top Rated Cooler[/bold]! It's solid copper and fairly large. It dropped my CPU temp 10C at max and 8C at idle. This was tested and confirmed using an electronic thermal probe from my work and I keep a scientific mercury thermometer inside the case window. This was while I was running the SisoftSandra Burn-In test at 100% CPU usage for 20 min. Try running that test and see what your temps do! My bet is that they won't go up much! That's why we think there is something wrong with your temp probes or your MB!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

RebelRide

Theonjrs is right, you have a problem with your thermal sensors. I have an Asus PSP800SE board with a Northwood 2.8 Ghz clocked at 3.2 GHz and I'm getting full load temps of 22 degrees celsius in a room that's 2 degrees celsius warmer. Yea right!! LOL That doesn't mean that your board is bad and thermal sensors are usually inaccurate to begin with. To get around my problem I stressed the hell out of my system to determine where it crashes and then set my shut off values to a couple of degrees cooler using Asus probe and all is well.

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

It’s not a mistake, you’re just one real cool Dude with the COOLEST Over Clocked CPU setup available today! <G>

22 Celsius/71.6 degrees, man that’s cooler then my Den with two PC’s running! That’s a great example of how everything is not always as it seems.

RebelRide

What you might be able to do is see what your temps show while inside your BIOS. Most M/Boards have a BIOS heading “Power” and under that heading might be an option to display your temps, (my Asus P4P800 Deluxe is called Hardware Monitor under the Power Heading,) it would be interesting to see what they show as Idle temps for your Prescott. If the same then it would be your sensors and if different it might be your software. Trust me when I say that your Prescott shows temps lower then the Northwoods and that just doesn't happen in the real world for many reasons, one major one is just the power consumption or wattage they use in the first place, even at idle.

Like everyone states, it’s not that we don’t believe you, we just don’t believe your MB results based on your sensors or software.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Heh, having a small house we don't have A/C, and in the summer, albeit in the UK, it probably reaches and exceeds that 38C that intel states. Whenever my desktop PC is on, this room is sweltering, because the case temp of my PC is usually only about 30-32C. Should think so too with 8 fans!
    The SF-464T2S is a great case for airflow and cooling, if only my heatsink/my job at fitting it with thermal paste was better!

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Just got an unwanted surprise. I ordered up a new Antec 550 watt power supply to go with my Asus P4P800. Had everything wired up and guess what. Though the power supply is supposed to work with the ATX boards, this thing doesn't have the 4 wire connection to power the mobo. It takes the extra 4 pin connector besides the 20 pin connector or the board doesn't boot up. While the thing was powering up the case fans it stopped working and wouldn't even run the fans. Not a day old and I have to send it back. I had to rob the Dell for a power supply to get it up and running. Have to be careful what I run as it doesn't have enough watts.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

Yes it does it's just clipped to another larger power connector. Look at them and you'll see that some of them are clipped on and just snap off.

scuba

The sensor in the bios is the same as that used by Asus probe and the only one.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

Thanks for pointing out what I already stated. :)

19. RebelRide

RebelRide Member

OK, you guys win...Scuba... bios temp shows 37C idle while monitoring software is showing 32C, guess they didn't get the calibrations quite right. Anyway's still under 38...

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles & Scuba,

It's true, the probe is the same. However it's read by software programing when using Asusprobe. In the bios there is no "middle man", it reads the probe sensors directly from the bios via the bios instruction set. Whatever the problem is with RebelRides computer, something is not reading properly. The temps reported are just too low, even by Intels standards!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.