1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Then what was the point of this completely pointless statement. It is both misleading and confusing and suggests that there is a difference between the two measures!!!!!!!!!!!

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

You are wrong! Read the above posts please.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

Asus probe reads directly from the bios and reports exactly what is being reported in the bios at that time. There is no difference between Asus probe and the bios in reporting temperatures.

4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

scuba

A declarative sentence is a declarative sentence. I quouted from you directly.

And then it was followed by this line.

Again the software makes no difference it reads directly from the sensor.

That with the first sentence was why I posted what I did.

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

For those having a hard time understanding what I stated in my first post I will provide a link from other individuals that believe their software gives a different reading then what their bios readings state. You can make your own determinations from that. Of course if this link is not to ones liking there are many other google searches one can do as well.

http://www.computing.net/cpus/wwwboard/forum/11444.html

Software and Hardware readings can be different.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Once again Asus probe reads directly from the bios, when that changes 1 degree then so does the software reading, no more and no less.

The link to posts from newbies won't change that.

Now tell me this! How can a person monitor both their bios and their probe at the same time? The answer is that they can't. When one reboots their system the CPU fan drops in speed just before things come back up and that causes a rise in CPU temperatures.

Try this go to your bios and look around for a minute or so and then reboot and then record your temperatures right when you come into windows. It will be higher than normal but after about 5 minutes it will drop just as it is doing in your bios at the same time. Asus probe just reads what is in your bios and that is all.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It is my understanding that an ASUS MB has both a socket thermistor and also reads the cpu temp diode. I also believe the bios is reading the cpu diode and Asus probe reads the socket thermistor, so Asus probe can read lower than what the actual core temps can be.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

The Asus probe only reports what it reads from the bios and nothing more and the bios reads directly from the thermal sensor(s). Some processors come with their own sensor but in the end it's all reported to the bios first and Asus probe is just monkey read monkey do straight from the bios.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sensor(s) as in both a socket thermistor and also the cpu temp diode.

[​IMG]

Above is a comparison of CPU temperature taken from the ASUS internal diode (6657 remote), the backside of CPU ceramic (CPU under), the side of CPU with a flat thermistor(Asus JTPWR), and the Asus socket probe (Asus CPU.)

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Scuba
    Agreed but Asus probe still reads from the bios. And quoting stuff you don't understand doesn't improve your point.

All this surfing must be killing you.;)

I'll check on you tomorrow.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

You like the facts and so do I so I just wanted to point out what I believe is a bit of dancing on your part, “sensor(s).”

I stated from the beginning that the bios takes it's reading from the internal diode and Asus Probe takes it from the socket thermistor, (bios vs software.)

Maybe you can provide a link as well that states Asus Probe takes it readings from the exact same sensor as the bios. What I stated and what I show are pretty simple to understand for most.

Thanks for checking in on me, much appreciated. <G>

12. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The Asus software has no direct connect to any sensors. Everything goes through the Bios.
    Most of the time it mirrors properly. I have seen the occasional update for temp accuracy problems but for the most part if the bios is accurate the Asus probe is also.

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Scuba

Then reason this, 100% of all motherboard processes that can be read in windows are read through the bios, there is no other way for the motherboard to communicate with Windows or any other software but through the bios. When they come out with a system that allows one to boot into the bios and windows at the same time then one can say with certainty that there is or is not a difference between measures. But Asus probe just mimics what it is reading from the bios.

14. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles
    Getting back to that Antec power supply; I'm not overly dumb (against popular belief) and I noticed the 4 pin connector that separates from the 20 pin connector. Only one problem; the Asus board 4 pin connector requires 2 12V+ and 2 GRND and the Antec has a 12, 5, and 3 volt along with a ground. The power supply from the Dell was set up for a similar board and just plugged in and started running things straight away. That's what I'm on now till I get the replacement.

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sophocles

Good morning :)

I don't disagree with what you just said in the least. Now how about this:

I stated in my First Post about Hardware Monitor vs Software. Let me clarify what I was trying to explain once more.

Hardware Monitor, (positioned in the bios,) takes it's reading from the internal diode and Asus Probe, (software, a program that is accessed within Windows,) takes it’s readings from the socket thermistor, two totally different sensors. My point to RebelRide was the possiblity of obscure temp readings from either bad sensors or bad software readings taken from those sensors. I believe you stated that they both take their readings from the same sensor, monkey see monkey do.

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if it stopped powering the fans though, there's obviously something wrong with it.

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

I'm not calling you dumb I'm just telling you that the plug is there. It would help if you gave the model number of your powersupply.

19. swords99

swords99 Member

Hi! I'm getting an amd athlon 64 3500+. Can someone tell me to what P4 processor it will compare to? Some people tell me it will be as powerful as a 3.2 ghz intel pentium 4 processor, is that true? I hope so because the 3500+ has a 2.2 ghz clock frequency and I'm not sure if it can really match a 3.2 ghz intel processor

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Thanks ScubaBud, that adapter looks like it would do the trick from a standard plugin. Looks like such an expensive power supply would have one if not part of the original harness.

Sophocles
    It's the Antec TP2-550EPS12V 550W EPS12V. I'm capable of looking at the harness and figuring out connectors. The four pin connector you mentioned earlier is the only one from the entire sytem that will plug into the connector and it'w wired incorrectly. I heard you mention you were going to order one. I was thinking Asus, but this one was less expensive and supposedly a good product. I made up a jumper harness from extra connectors I have lying around and hooked the harness up to the Dell to see how it would run. Now the fan stopped working on the power supply and as soon as the PC starts loading up, the power supply kicks out. It's time to send this puppy back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.