1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Scuba

My only point was and always has been that there are no software errors because the software reads only what has already been posted in the bios. If you go back over this thread you will see numberous posts by me telling people not to trust their thermal sensors. I know that they are innccurate.

One point was being made by theonejrs and you to a point, was the involving of software errors and I pointed out that the software only reports what it reads from the bios. I never once entered into a discussion about thermal diodes and thermistors because everything that I've said goes for both of them. But here it is.

It doesn't matter whether Asus probe is reading the on CPU diode or thermister because it only reads the one that's being reported in your bios in hardware monitor and that has been my point from the beginning.
    No dancing I've stayed on point from the beginning.

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

That's the same power supply that I'm using and my board uses 1 more 12V connector than your does. The extra pin isn't attached to the main power it's clipped to another 4 pin connector. I'm not trying to make you feel dumb I missed the damn thing too but experience reminded me that it's there somewhere.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Sophocles, why do they have 2 of them connected like that? I see what you mean now. It looks like a single connector unless one looks closely. And I mean very close with my glasses on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2006
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 3500+ will blow a 3.2Ghz Intel out of the water pure and simple.

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

They do it to piss me off so that I can in turn piss everyone else off. LOL

If I hadn't gone looking for two connected together I might have missed it completley but what finally caught my eye is that I've never seen an ATX 8 pin connector.:)

Scuba if you decide to surf the net looking for 8 pin connectors, could you keep it to yourself.;)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

:D Just to be annoying, lol

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Why not? LOL

Hey Soph, guess what? The Antec headed south anyway. When it starts getting hot the fan doesn't come on and it kicks the system off, with or without the fan monitor connected. Has to be the power supply as the little one from the Dell is working.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

"The little one from dell" - interesting...

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

I've been lucky that way, I've never had a powersupply that didn't work but it is one of the most common PC failures. I'd go over my settings one more time since it has fan monitor connectors and are both fans out?If so then return it for a replacement or exchange it for another make. Mine is cool to the touch even when encoding so you should at least expect that.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No PSU's outer casing should be much warmer than the air in the case itself.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

That's called heat transfer. ;)

I've been around electrical equipment most of my life with power supplies or transformers. I'm familiar enough with the equipment to know when a power supply is causing a problem. It's a no brainer when you take the one out that doesn't power the system properly and put in another and it does. As I said, I put in a 170 watt power supply from a factory Dell and it's running the system without shutting down and the 550 watt Antec kept shutting down. It's not the first time something came bad in the box.

I just had the last WD HDD I purchased head south on me. Seems there's a black hole in my house sucking up PC equipment. Luckily it was still under warrantee. I've got a 3 year old drive WD that's still working fine and one that's only a couple of years old. What tees me off is all the files I'm losing.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

That's too many things going bad at once. Did you check the pins on the back of the hard drive? They're different if you are using 1 or two.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

CS-Cable Select, Slave, Master, and "no jumpers needed at all" for a single HD. Dell uses the CS settings on all drives. The Asus board calls for the master and slave set up. The problem drive will not be picked up by the system when installed properly. Install another drive to the same location and it works. Being as how I know how the setup works and how to exchange the drives and set them up, I suspect I just had a drive go south with no explanation. I didn't drop it or handle it roughly in any way. I also don't handle the board or contacts except to move pins and then I'm careful to not have a static charge buildup.

I'm waiting for the pretty blue diodes to blow out in my new case fans and have the Asus head south to join everything else.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That sounds a bit morbid, brobear! I do question the impact of that Antec PSU though, sometimes bad PSUs can spike equipment causing it to fail when they do. I noticed that with the dreaded Qtec. And as for the lost data, I lost about 211GB, so I know how it feels. £100 repair job, losing 211GB data and 512MB RAM, plus having 200GB less storage space... All due to a £24.99 PSU.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Other than the PSU and the HD, all else is working as it should. I need the power to crank things up. I don't think it was a spike. I suspect the moving from one PC to the other was more than a drive on the way out could take. It probably just hastened the process. Good thing it happened while still under warranty.

16. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

You would think that in this day and age you could just make a copy of your hard drive and slap it in a new computer and like magic works. All programs and everything just like the computer it was copied from.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Would be nice, but it doesn't seem to work that way. Most of my programming works, but the Norton software dropped the subscription when I changed machines.

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Baltekmi,

Use Acronis True Image 9.0. The way I do it is to do a backup of my complete c drive on my d drive and then copy the entire file as a DVD data disk. You can also do the backup straight to CD but it takes too long and you have to format the CDs. Either way, you create a boot disk or boot CD. If you should have a problem with your hard drive, just install a new one and run the restore disk. [bold]"Everything"[/bold] and I mean everything!!! will be there.

There is all kinds of disk cloning software out there as well but I'll stick with what I know works! Hell, you don't even have to install XP!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I've been very impressed with Acronis software, if a little slow, but it's very professionl at what it does. No problems with disk director at all.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Nice to know how you like the software, but that wasn't what we were talking about. However, it may be a solution for the problem. We were talking about being able to just swap a hard drive into a new machine and go (maybe if they were identical, but then why swap).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.