1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Earlier there was a discussion on CPU temps and what the monitor software is reading. I've had my system running for a few hours with typical use. I've not done any encoding yet, that's next. I was just doing some checks. Seems my build is complete except for putting in a new psu and HD when they show. Well back to temps. The BIOS shows the CPU running 36.5 to 38 C and the MB at 31 C with a mild 5% OC. (I'm not going to crank it up till I get more power.) Here's a shot of the Asus Probe, that 5 C less than the BIOS reading on the CPU. The MB temp seems to be right on at 32C, the BIOS was reading the same (31 to 32 C). [​IMG]

Here's a shot of SpeedFan. My HDs should run cooler when I get the power to run the case fan into the HD cage. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2006
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'm not trying to sell the software, but a few reputable reviews of the software itself may re-assure those who wish to use it.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear,

When Sophocles stated in one of his posts about IDLE temperature differences in Bios setup then when using Asus Probe or a Windows program he was correct since the bios cannot put the CPU in a low power state, only Windows can.

Here is a temp check I just did with. (10% OC to 3.74GHz) Room temp at 79 Fahrenheit/26 Celsius
    [​IMG]

sammorris

My program of choice is still Drive Image 7.0.1 which is now Ghost only because I didn't have success with Acronis software when it was needed, (on a re-install of a backup.) The look and feel of Acronis is much better IMO then Drive Image software and I will try it once again after a newer version comes out.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There are no commands that Windows or any other operating system can make on hardware without going through the bios first. The bios sends a signal to Windows, Windows makes a decision and returns a command back through the bios. The bios is the input and output to all hardware.

So as not to make this an exetended debate I broke down and surfed to find some info on how it all works.BTW.

http://www.acpi.info/presentations/ACPI_Overview.pdf

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Here is a much cleaner explanation of what I stated to Brobear, no debate needed since this has nothing to do with my comments on sensors used by Software or Hardware Monitor under bios.

When WIndows is idle, OS will put the CPU into the low-power states(C1,C2 or C3 state). But in BIOS setup, the CPU cannot support these states. So the CPU temerature detected in BIOS H/W Monitor will be several Celsius Degrees higher than in Windows.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

After a couple of hours encoding with RB/CCE (with the mild 5% OC to 3.57GHz) I turned on the Asus Probe and the temp was running consistently at 41 C. I'm waiting to see what happens when I get the power to crank things up and run all the fans. If it matters, constant room temp is about 21.1 C/70 F.

Scubabud
    My system must cool down fast. I did the BIOS check and as soon as I booted into windows I turned on Asus Probe and got the temp. According to what you're saying, hours of encoding at 5% OC only drives up my CPU temp 3 C over what going into the BIOS does. Now that's running cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2006
  7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear,

I believe that the highest I've seen my go to was 125-128F or max at around 53 Celsius.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

41 C/105 F should be the high spot for mine until I do more OCing.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

I can't believe encoding doesn't drive the temps up much more than just going into the BIOS.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's obviously just a very powerful heatsink!

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear,

What brand of heatsink and fan are you using? I know that it's not the stock or retail setup since you only purchased the chip.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

That cooling system cnps7700 is almost as good as a water cooling and in some cases actually beats water cooling.

By communicating with the bios. C1, C2, and C3 states are functions of ACPI which takes you back to the PDF that I posted. I will say this again. Windows can't do anything without first goin through the bios.

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Quote from Brobear

Quote from Scubabud

Sophocles

I believe that the above answered Brobear’s possible concern. The last post, last paragraph was word for word from a support page on Asus’s site. Since I never professed to be an Oracle I will continue to add to my knowledge from threads, other members, the Internet and my IT people. I hope that this reassures you that what was stated is correct. <G>

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So brobear, what do we say to people who have paid a fortune for water cooling?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

sorry double post

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I explained that already, the temperatures won't be the same as it boots because the degree of stress changes. Usually the temperatures will actually be a little hotter when just booting into windows and then the cool down begins.

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Should we include that the PC must be turned on as well? Below is an image taken from Asus website.
    [​IMG]

18. arvinf

arvinf Member

I can confirm that my Athlon 64 3500+ Venice core CPU does not generate a lot of heat - around 43 degrees celcius after 2 hours gaming (108 degrees F) on a cheap Akasa heatsink. This is with the heatsink fan running at a quiet 1500 rpm. It is especially great in comparison to my old Sempron 3000 socket A. That was a terrible CPU for heat and being unbearably slow. But I really do love the socket 939 Athlons. I recommend them for anyone building a quiet/silent PC, or overclockers.

By the way, bear in mind the slow 1500rpm heatsink fan, and the fact that there is a fanless power supply dissipating lots of heat right next to the cpu. My 3500 idles at 36 degrees C with cool and quiet enabled. My sempron used to reach full-load temperatures of around 52 degrees C in the same kind of weather, yet it gave terrible performance.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

But of course bear in mind you're using a stock heatsink for the Sempron 3000, a proper Arctic cooling heatsink on my XP 3000+ is making 59C at idle now, but then again I obviously didnt do a great job of thermal paste - it's been climbing...

You're also forgetting the Sempron is a budget CPU, less than half the value of the 3500+ and I'll bet you it was more than half as fast.

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Seems I'm getting slow at posting to the thread. Sophocles had it right. I'm using the big Zalman CNPS7700-Cu FHS to cool things down. http://www.zalmanusa.com/ Doesn't hurt that there's a big exhaust fan (120x120x25mm at 1300 rpm and 17 dBA) right behind the cooler. There'll be another fan the same size in the front of the case as an intake that cools the hard drive cage (when I get the power to hook everything up. The case also has 2 90x90x25 mm exhaust fans top and rear (sort of overkill for this cool CPU). I'm using an Armor Super Tower from Thermaltake. http://www.ajump.com/ajump/product....0029&mscssid=N123HWH7JUX68N7DFC3Q26MAGNAHDJQB Newegg has better pictures if anyone wants to see what it looks like from all angles. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133163 For those wondering about the pricing, Ajump is $10 higher, but they shipped for free and Newegg charges $23 for shipping. That makes the Ajump cheaper by $13 (always watch those S&H charges). Zalman and Thermaltake adhere to quiet technology, so things run quiet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.