1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

As long as you are using the same computer, what new hard drive you use doesn't matter. The size doesn't matter either as long as it's large enough. Acronis True Image 9.0 will clone drives as well. The last time I backed up directly to another hard drive. If the OS has problems I would just install the drive and run the boot CD to access the data. In about 35 minutes, all your data will be restored. I usually run Eraser or Kill Disk first on the partition I'm recovering just to be on the safe side.

Originally I purchased 8.0 and within 3 weeks I got an e-mail telling me that version 9.0 had just come out. I bitched a little bit about my new purchase being obsolete already so Acronis gave me 9.0 for free (I had to show proof of purchase). They sent me a link to download it right from their site. Worked perfect the first time and every time. I've never lost a bite! It's not expensive either!

smmmorris,

I just giggle a lot and count my savings!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm not having backup problems. I didn't mean to give that impression, if I did. It was just a matter of changing drives from one machine to another (which is slightly different). Not only did I have to update the info on my Norton ware, I had to reactivate the XP OS as it was noting the change in the system environment. What I was more or less getting at is that some software makes it a bit of work changing a hard drive from one PC to another.

Well... glad to see it didn't cause you to lose your apetite, but how bout them bytes? LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2006
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

I stand corrected, Byte not bite! Must have gotten bitten by those dyslexic eyes! No wonder I'm so damn hungry!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Just kidding around with you. I learned not to get upset with typing from my experience with my old compadre, Sophocles. ;) I have to admit though, Sophocles typing has seemed to improve some over the past year or so. At least nowadays he types my name right occasionally. ;)

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

[​IMG]

I said in my last post that the reason that the temperatures were lower in brobears bios than i twas in windows was because he let it idle for a while in Windows. That's exactly what your image capture shows, it supports what I've been saying all along, including ACPI which is the daddy of C1,C2, and C3 power downs and windows still adjusts it through the bios. Bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, Bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,bios
    bios,Bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,Bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,biosBios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios, bios,bios

Get it?;)

bios
    bios

Thanks for your support but I don't need help with the facts!!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  6. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL In your haste you got that backwards, I'm sure you meant "were higher in brobear's BIOS than it was in Windows" as the lower temps were with Asus Probe in Windows. Is that good wine or beer? You're on Spring Break aren't you? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2006
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was wondering how long it'd be before that typo was picked up. The temperatures should be higher in the BIOS theoretically as the CPU will be doing more work, and the fan may not spin as fast as in windows with some load-sensitive setups. This is of course comparing to Windows idle, if the system is operative, the BIOS should be cooler.

Brobear, I'm surprised that system isn't stone cold with all that cooling in there!

8. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Any cooler and I'll have to defrost it before running. Considering the human body is running at 37 C, this PC is cool to the touch and barely warm when running hard doing hours of DVD encoding. For now I only have the rear exhaust fan running in addition to the fan on the Zalman "cooler". As I mentioned before, I only have a 170 watt PSU till I get a replacement. This P4 is cool in comparison to some others I've seen and it appears to be cooler than some AMD processors. The Thermaltake case is in anticipation of a later build and is sort of overkill for the system now housed in it.

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I'm sorry, I could have sworn that after I posted that exact quote and even mentioned it came from Asus Support your first words were:

Yep, they sure were there… That's why I posted the website to clarify once again. Now I see:

Being facetious I added the statement; "Should we include that the PC must be turned on as well?" just to make sure that I wasn't accused of not including everything in my statements while under your rule so to speak.

Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance. <G>

Brobear’s original statement:

My first post:

My second post taken directly from Asus Support:
    Both are clean and clear statements and sufficient to address Brobear’s concern. If someone asks the time of day, there is no need to explain how to build a watch, just answer the man’s question!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Now how do I build a watch, or does building a PC that keeps time count? Hard to carry around though, the CRT monitor alone is more than I want to be carrying. I appreciate the info from all on the why. I got it some time back. System runs hotter in BIOS because Windows can't place it in a lower power state till Windows boots. Makes sense. Strange though that the temp variation in BIOS is only a bit lower than what the CPU reachs after hours of encoding. I don't mind, neither is high. Glad I have the Northwood. ;)

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely, even if I was an Intel fan, I'd look around for Northwoods instead!

12. mudearies

mudearies Guest

13. brobear

brobear Guest

The Northwood was probably some of Intel's finest. They went for more speed and left the Northwood architecture behind. On single cores, Intel should take a leap backwards. They're starting to get there with the duo cores, but AMD had a huge headstart with those.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

scuba

The quote supported my view and not yours. I've said time and again that
    windows uses ACPI trhough the bios and that C1,C2, and C3 states use ACPI and that is done throuhg the bios. Without the use of the bios there would be no C1,C2, or C3 states. By the time windows reaches sthe point of using them it is in IDLE and the temperatures will be lowered. But they are also being lowered in the bios at the same time and nothing will change that.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Oh give it a rest you two!

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Actually they support my point of view that BIOS temps vary from ones noticed idling in Windows. LOL

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes but to spend pages arguing about it?

18. brobear

brobear Guest

You want an argument? "Who is on first ..."

I think we've covered sensors, thermistors and the like and BIOS and operating temps. After a while the info starts agreeing and the only thing that differs is the personalities involved, or rather in this case remain similar. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2006
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Anyway, back to the topic in hand, has anyone heard any more on the Conroe CPU?
    I'm slightly sceptical, partly because the speeds intel have quote would be near double the speed of the prescott/gallatin, which just seems too unrealistic.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I suppose it is a dead argument lost in semantics.LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.