1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sure, if intel were to come out with something decent in my area, I'd probably switch to intel, but since they haven't yet, I won't yet.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I have to disagree, though I've been an Intel fan in the past and my current "favorite" machine is still an Intel.

I've been working with parts I have with the intent to build a top PC later in the year or next year. Back to the point; over the past couple of years AMD has been outperforming the top Intel processors. Sophocles mentioned the venerable Northwoods. They are among Intels best. My 3.4GHz Northwood OCed to 5% (near 3.6GHz) is the equivalent of an AMD FX 57 and easily outperforms the 3.8 GHz P4s Intel now has on the market. Anyone needs to see the benches, I can produce them. However, things have gone dual core and the single cores just don't compare. AMD had a good headstart, so currently, they are the "Best".

Like many others, I'm wandering what Conroe will be when it hits the market. I have different reasons for not doing a major build now (tech advances along the lines of HD, OS developments that affect hardware, encryption and hardware developments, as well as the CPU and memory developments). I don't want to build a PC to see it seriously out of date in a matter of months. So, till then, I'll be happy with my slightly obsolete P4 system.

Note: The post I mentioned Mort81 made concerned the performance figures from 2004, back when the Northwood reigned and AMD was still planning the demise of Intel. The link to the info and comparisons are in the post. That shows why Sophocles was right in going with a Northwood back then.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't mind seeing that benchmark brobear! Could you try OCing it further, when you get a replacement PSU?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

OK on the benchmarks, I'll do them again shortly and post. I'll give it a try later on the OC. The 3.4 being the top line Northwood, it may not have much more of a ceiling where OC(ing) is concerned. I'm happy with it as it is and it runs cold at 5% OC in comparison to the Prescotts. We'll see what happens in a few weeks when I get something back on that PSU. It's a week to the west coast and at least another week back, not including processing time. Glad I had the old Dell to rob parts from. ;)

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Sammorriss
    Here's those benches you wanted to see. The FX 55 and 57 have only a slight advantage in the arithmetic figures and the Northwood wins the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--------------------------------------

I threw in the dual core in the Arithmetic benchmark to show how the dual core processors eclipse even the best of single core processors. As a sidenote, the FX 55 and 57 are selling for $811 US at Newegg. StarMicro is selling the 3.4 P4 Northwood for $265.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2006
  6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear,

I'm waiting to see how far you can take your 3.4 to. My setup doesn't like much more over 3.74GHz/10%. Very stable at that but not when pushed past it.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So it's a prescott versus Northwood Overclocking test!

8. brobear

brobear Guest

No, not going there. LOL The Prescotts were built to go to 3.8GHz for the high end versions. The Northwoods were at 3.4GHz. So, that's why I mentioned the Northwood may have a lower ceiling. Note though what the Northwood does at 3.57 GHz. It outdoes the stock 3.8 P4s on the bench tests. If Scubabud posted his benches, then we can look at them and compare. If he posted them, maybe he'll disclose the location as this thread is getting a bit large, or maybe repost them here.

LOL Sophocles, no need to do yours again. I included a dual core in the arithmetic bench. We all know dual cores beat single cores. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2006
  9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

No problem :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

Where's the Multi Media benchmark?

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Sammorriss
    As you can note, it's not a Northwood vs Prescott shootout. That's a Northwood he has.

[​IMG]

12. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

And it's the Northwood I've always had! <G>

I believe sammorris was referring to the selected Prescott comparison results in your Sandra test, not my PC.

OK, here is a fresh Multi-Media test:

[​IMG]

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I actually posted a reply that apologised for that insulting remark, so sorry about that again, but afterdawn decided not to post it for whatever reason. Glad it's not a long post.

Oh and brobear had it right, I messed up.

SORRY!

On a side note, what happened to our friend Donald?

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

My 20% OC'd 3.0 Prescott is right up there with your mild OC. It beats the FX-55 and 3.8 P4 as well. Here's the Sandra results:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should be interesting to see what your 3.4 will do with enough power. As I said before, the P4P-800 series are extremely good motherboards and are very friendly when it comes to stock performance as well as overclocking. Enjoy!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonjrs

I don't know how you beat the FX57

My Venice core hit over 12,000 MIPS on CPU and that's almost 2000 MIPS higher than your bench.

[​IMG]

My Memory hit over 6800 MB/s and that's over 2300 MB/s faster than your bench and I still lost to the FX57.

The screen capture above is the only surviving capture of my Venice core.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

My mistake, I meant FX-55! I'll correct the post.

theonejrs

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Scubabud
    LOL I stand corrected. I wasn't paying attention. I just put Intel's latest in the comparison, not really thinking about it being a Prescott to show how the older tech was better than it's replacement. Thanks for posting the benches. Now I have a better view of how mine should be running when I finally get it assembled.

18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

It is weird how my prescott seems to lose at all but the memory test

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and check this out http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1158

what you make of ths?

19. brobear

brobear Guest

That's like having gas in the tank and no engine to burn it.

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

My memory settings are 2.5-3-3-6

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.