1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I just spray water on my processor when it heats up:)

2. tophawk

tophawk Member

Thanks Sophocles that's what I thought

Perhaps I would be safer not sprayin' water but just pack a bit of ice around the chip ;)

3. brobear

brobear Guest

I just keep the PC in the freezer. Now I have a problem with the optical drives getting frosted. ;)

4. tophawk

tophawk Member

brobear
    BIG mistake that - you gotta run the opticals externally so they don't get too cold and makes it more pleasant to load media.
    U like COLDPLAY
    ;=]

5. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

No matter what benchmarks say, people will always have a preference. I'm an AMD fan myself.

That said, this whole thread is basically just "Ford vs. Chevy" for the geek generation.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Couldn't Agree more, I'm an AMD and ATi man, but I WON'T count out nvidia cards, they're alright (he says since this backup PC has one)

7. michigan

michigan Guest

I made a PC out of an old mini fridge. I put the optical drives on top beside the monitor and the keyboard in front of the monitor. I don't have any heat problems but it sure costs a lot to run this computer. On the plus side I always have cold beverages when I'm at the system.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Well actually the best cooling system involves buying a heavyduty heatsink (without a fan) and then welding a pipe to it. Once that's done you fill the pipe with liguid nitrogen and then overclock the snot out of the CPU.

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I wasn't aware of the high snot content in the silicon.

This thread originally came from the apparent CCE encoding advantage from the Athlon 64 series processors, not just preference.
    It did turn into a shooting match for a bit.

For reference DVDshrink tends to favor the P4.

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Is there a snot quotient for DVD Shrink as well?

Love them Chevys and Fords. LOL Like we needed someone to tell us...

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gentlemen,
    I have really enjoyed the recent reparte and the thought of spraying water on a CPU or building one in a fridge seems both scary and just a litle frightening. I have a few questions about the here and now I would like to direct your way. A little background! I've been building PCs since the 386/25 and stayed with it through the Pentium 333. I took time off and missed the P-II and most of the P-III. I got back in again by buying a Dell Precision 420 1Ghz, 512 40ns Rambus ram, 133 fsb. Acordind to the original invoice this was less than 2 years old with an original price tag from Dell of around $5000 when bought new! I paid $165.00 for it from Elextro-Rents. For it's day, a hell of a machine! I graduated to a dell 3000 P-4 2.8/533 fsb and now I just got done building an Asus P4P800 SE, P-4 3.0/800, 1 gig (2x512) PC-2700 DDR Ram, 865PE chipset, 120 Gb Diamond Plus ATA 133, 7200 rpm hard drive with an NVidia FX5200 PCI video card. I wound up going Intel because I bought the CPU in combo with an ECS (piece of shit!!!) motherboard from Fry's. Scuse me, but I had to get that out of my system. The combo was $185 so I bought it. I've also build a couple of Athlon XP 2500+ computers and was impressed with their performance.

With that out of my way here are my questions. I've noticed that my memory runs at 320 Mhz instead of 333. I also notice that if I overclock 10% my memory slows down to 266 Mhz while the fsb goes up to 866. I'm trying to get a better understanding as to modern chipsets and motherboards. I know there are areas that I can improve on even with this entry level motherboard. I guess the answers I am looking for is the reasons for these changes and what they mean to me in terms of performance. I do a lot of video re-authoring at the present time with DVD Shrink. Most DVDs take me about 20 - 25 mins to do. To me this is pretty quick but to you guys it's probably cave man slow!

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Ohhh... Sophoclesss....

13. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Theonejrs,

What setting did you change to achieve the 10% overclock. Normally you might bump the FSB 10% but 866 doesn't match.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I personally didnt think an 800mhz FSB P4 had good compatibility with PC2700 RAM. From what i've heard it can lead to problems, and you can't select that combination on most system configuration websites...

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Gentlemen,
    Thank you for the quick response. My Bad (stupid). I guess I can't read. The fsb is 879.92. This gives 219.98 x 15.0 for 3299.70 or 10%. I did this from the bios setup, Advanced, jumper free configuration, AT overclock timer. According to the manual, they show PC3200, PC2700 and PC2100 for the 800 MHz fsb. There is a note that PC2700 may run at 320 MHz when using the 800 MHz fsb due to chipset limitations. There are several other settings you can change in the bios. It has a performance mode which if Turbo is used won't let the computer boot or the monitor show anything but a blank screen. There is also a software program that came with the motherboard called Ai Booster which is like a dashboard for the system. It shows present fsb, cpu speed, temps, voltages and a few other things. I've only overclocked 1 computer in my life and that was about 10 years ago with a p166 on an Asus mb. I raised it to 185. Half the time it would give faulty data or hang! I haven't tried to go beyond 10% as I know very little about overclocking and I sure don't want to roach my cpu.
    Sincerely,
    theonejrs

16. brobear

brobear Guest

theonejrs
    Once the settings were changed to attain the overclock configuration, did you adust any of the voltage settings?

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

brobear

You may have solved your own problem, it's your memory that's holding you back. Try and relax the timing on your memory for instance if it's set at 2-2-2-5 then reset it to 3-3-3-7 or even 4-4-4-7 this will allow you to increase your frontside bus. Also since you have an Asus board you can keep your PCI bus at 33 mhz/66mhz (AGP)which prevents you from stressing out your hardware.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Wrong name Sophocles. I was just asking a question. theonejrs is the one trying to overclock his system.

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Minor slip no pun intended, just a few overworked brain cells. LOL

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

to brobear The only setting I touched was the 10% in the set up. I'm not trying to overclock but I just wanted to see if I could make up for the 79% memory bandwidth. I checked the system at 3.00 GHz and it matches or exceeds all the specs except the memory. It even does a little better at 3.29 but not enough to matter Red covers blue everywhere but the memory so it looks like I'll have to find some PC3200 memory. Any reasonable 512 PC3200s around. Im not cheap, just poor but happy! I'm 61 and I had a real bad heart attack 3 years ago so I've slowed way down and only work about 20 hours a week. I repair dental equipment and air driven dental handpieces for a small dental supply house here in San Bernardino. It works out pretty good for both of us as he can't afford me full time and I only want to work part time. I now build and repair computers as well so I stay busy enough. I read you guys to see what I can learn that may help me down the road. A lot has changed since Opti was THE chipset and we all drooled waiting for the HT and HX chipsets to hit the market. I just got done building 2 other computers last week. My first since 98! Both Athlon XP 2500+. One on an MSI K7n2 socket A board that I had and a Shuttle MK40V-VN socket A board that I swapped a socket 478 Albatron board for at thenetseller.com so I could use the other 2500+ I had. I was very impressed with the performance of both of these computers. Particularly in CPU temps. There are 6 fans in my Intel 3.0. an 80mm and a 100 mm in the power supply, a 120 mm case fan in the rear blowing out, an 80mm in the window blowing in, the Intel CPU cooler and the one on the video card. The temp runs about 60-62C with the case never exceeding 34C. My landlord leaves his 2500+ on all day and the CPU temp never reaches 40C with only a Spire cooler and a cheap 80 mm case fan. I'll let you guys know when I am planning to build a new one. I have in mind an Athlon 64 3200+. I'm not a big fan of sata yet.. It's still slower than the 10,000 rpm scusi in my old Dell Precision and right now costs more than ata 133 drives. I don't buy anything but Maxtors and I have several in stock. some 80s, a couple of 120s and a 160. I'm out of DDR memory at the moment but I'll look around and see what I can find.
    Anyway, thanks to all for the input!
    theonejrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.