1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

2. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

ScubaBud
    and so right you are... that's actually the reality.
    2-2-2-6=
    2.5-3-3-6! I think i will wait to see how theINTRL kentsfield quad or the Cointreau chip come out next year before i even think about a rebuild.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

I forgot to mention this. On my P4P800, running at the 5% setting my memory was running at 420MHz. Any raise in FSB speed over that dropped the memory speed to 320! Check your memory speed as I don't know if it would be the same for your CPU. While you can lock the memory speed, it still will change it if running at a given speed will hurt something! I can't wait to see how things work when you've OC'd 15 to 20%. It should rock!!!

Happy computering,

theonejrs

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Might have something to do with the specific memory you're using. Above the 5% OC the memory may start to give errors and slow down.

5. xterra458

xterra458 Guest

amd's are trash and I would never buy garbage. there is a reason why amd's cost less than p4's. remember you get what you paid for garbage in garbage out.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd so ban you for that if i could.
    Where's your evidence dude?
    The top AMD CPU actually costs more than the top intel (FX-60 vs 955) and it's far faster as well.
    Give me a benchmark supporting the idea that "AMDs are trash" and I may believe you. Go on, I dare you to try and find one.
    I'm not slating intel CPUs much, they're pretty good, but neither brand is as you put it garbage.
    If you've not anything useful to contribute, you're not welcome here. Try the safety valve forum.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

xterra458

Your PC could probably be driven by mouse shit and you wouldn't know the difference.

You can't add, subtract, multiply, or divide can you?

Isn't that stupid is as stupid does? You ought to know.:)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  8. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

another nOOb that needs to go out the door he came into

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

xterra458,

You have no idea what you are talking about do you? Not only that, you are dead wrong! I run an Intel P4 3.0 with a 20% OC. My next build will be an AMD. I'm tired of waiting for Intel to deliver something good! I'm tired of having to have enough fans to fly! AMDs are more efficient and run much cooler at lower speeds thanks to their being able to do more work in less clock cycles! Neither are trash but for now, the AMD is better, faster and more afordable. Check Sophocles' benchmarks a few pages back and see for yourself. I don't know of any Intel that can beat them!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

10. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Good evening folks.
    It will be nice to get all the new Intel and AMD processors out so there is something more to compare and argue about.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL I agree. A noob shows up and makes a grandiose statement to arouse the regulars and it happens. This is a technical thread. Besides the innuendoes proffered, someone should have asked for proof.

@xterra458
    What proof can you offer to support your assertion? "I think" doesn't count (or your cronies), you need some documented data from reputable sources.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A bleblerbelerbleerr!!!
    Brobear said:
    Me, being the FIRST person to reply said:
    I know we're just slating this guy because he's a n00b and many other less polite words, but you could have at least read what I said!

13. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL I stand corrected, someone did ask for proof amongst the other statements. LOL We've yet to get a reasonable response to the request. ;) I suspect we won't. Just a noob trying to be a nuisance and succeeding.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2006
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    Thanks for the input. I doubt I'll be seeing any 20% OC(ing) with this system. Just a feeling I have. I'll see how far it will go when I get the PSU. The way it is now, when I start cranking things up, the cheap PSU starts dropping the voltage. It was starting to drop below 11.5V on the 12V circuits, so you can imagine what was happening with the amperage draw. I don't want to smoke things, so I'll leave it at 5% for now.

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That'd be best. Wait for your PSU replacement before going ahead.

16. brobear

brobear Guest

Voltage=Amps X Ohms or V=IxR

Since a have a working knowledge of what that Law entails, I concur with your suggestion I'm following a prudent course of action. ;)

17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

Question? Does your memory run at 420Mhz at the 5% setting? I'm curious because mine does. You will see it in the memory bandwidth test. When I scroll down it shows 420 Mhz, but only at that setting.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Yes, mine is the same speed (420MHz) at that OC percentage, 5%. Since the Speed is tied into Channels and FSB Speed, it makes sense it varies when frequencies are changed relative to the Bus and CPU.

----------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    ----------------------------------

Does 2x210 ring a bell?

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Is 5% the absolute cut off point, theonejrs, or is it something random like 5.55%?

20. brobear

brobear Guest

5, 10, 20% are automatic settings one can select with the ASUS boards. There's also a manual setting where various settings can be selected that will give percentages other than the presets. The presets aren't absolute because there can be a slight variance in the CPU frequency when set. Some of the setting involved are automatic and can change as needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.