1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Looks dead on in that screenshot to me!

My stock XP 3000+ fluctuates slightly between 2165 and 2166mhz, so it's not just a process of overclocking.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Maybe not, but when you move into the OC range, the same settings that affect frequency variation are usually tied in to OC(ing) as well.

Screen captures are static, so a person isn't going to see any variation if it is occurring in real time. The Bus speed appears to be locked, but the CPU frequency varies a bit, which means something is changing. I suspect a slight power fluctuation could account for minute differences.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2006
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No I know screen captures are static, or at least that one is, but my point was that at the time you took the photo it was EXACTLY 3570.00mhz

4. brobear

brobear Guest

;) Hadn't paid attention to that as it doesn't EXACTLY stay on that figure. Just a coincidence.

5. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Had a flashback today. I built a "Brand New" AMD K6-2/500 on a "Brand New" S7-MVP3 motherboard. Needed one for my neighbor's kids as their P-90 died! I installed 98 first and then up-graded to 2000 and Service Pack 4. Runs good! Both the CPU and MB were in their original boxes and had never been opened!

I would have posted some benchmarks (Ha! Ha!) but Sandra won't run on 2000. It was fun trying to figure out the jumper settings but I managed! It was fun and very retro. Like a step back in time. It's all done and delivered, so back to the real world!

Does anyone know anything about the "Pressler" Dual Core.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116237

What does it equate to in an AMD Dual Core? This one is a 2.8/800!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

6. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I don't knowe what happened I must have hit the copy and paste button once too much... am sorry!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  7. crowy

crowy Guest

baltekmi,
    what are u doing!!!

8. brobear

brobear Guest

lol Looks like he went off the deep end. ;)

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear.

Yup, and landed on his head! I think his copy button malfunctioned!

theonejrs

10. vspede

vspede Member

This was mentioned a while back, I think about 40 posts back about prices of AMD Dual Cores being expensive. Actually it looks like theres a sale going on now for AMD Dual Cores.

Dell Small Biz Software & Peripherals has 20% off most accessories including AMD Athlon Retail box processors with code: GTGWZ082MG4KW4 Exp 3/29 or sooner - Search for Athlon - Click on Software & Peripherals tab - Tax is charged. (Thanks Haroon)

Athlon 64 3500+ $164.45 shipped free

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core $256.46 shipped free
    Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core $464.96 shipped free
    Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core $622.46 shipped free

Athlon 64 FX-57 $704.81
    Email Deal Similar Deals

This is on Techbargains.com

What sucks is 2 months ago I bought a AMD 64 3700+ San Diego for 225. For 25 bucks more I coulda bought a Dual Core.

I used to run a P4p800 P4 2.2 Gig but when I switched over to AMD the graphics were 100x better. Although mutli tasking is a bit slow.

Anyone have luck with the AI Booster the programs that come with Asus Boards? I have one and I don't get how to use it, lol.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

vspede,

Essentially, the AI Booster sets some of the Bios settings through software using the Windows interface. I tried it but I didn't like it as much as going into the bios and making my changes permanent. The only real use I could find for it was if you had the need??? for different fsb speeds I have a P4P800SE with a 3.0/800/HT, and I find the amount of adjustments available on this MB to be very good for over-clocking. I run a 960 Mhz frontside bus which gives me a 20% OC at 3.60. On a par with Brobear's 3.4 Northwood oc'd 5% on the same type MB. My memory timings are 2 2 2 5, and it runs very well. Some people in this forum say this gain is for free. Well free or not, it's not cheap to make it happen. $85 for a quality 480 watt power supply! $75 for a top performing CPU cooler! $268 for 2 GB of quality memory. I could have used that money for a faster CPU and maybe been better off. Then again, look at all the fun I would have missed!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

12. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

And what is the answer to this question? really?

Sorry about that stupid post.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

vspede
    ;) Theonejrs was right about investing in a better CPU. Since one has to have a CPU for things to work, you can deduct the cost of that against the price of a better one. When you do the math correctly, moving up to a 3.4GHz Northwood nowadays is dirt cheap performance wise.

Starmicro sells the 3.0 Prescott for $165 US and the P4 3.4GHz Northwood for $265. That's only $100 for all the extra performance, as well as quality. At 3.57GHz (5% OC) the Northwood easily outperforms the OC(ed) 3.0 Prescott running at 3.6GHz. In fact the 3.4 Northwood outperforms the 3.8GHz P4s at their stock settings. And that's all running on a 170W PSU that I'd fry if I tried to pull too much from it. (A new PSU is on the way, I got a bad one out of the box that had to be replaced temporarily with a used one on hand.) Scubabud with a decent PSU and a similar setup has his Northwood cranked up to 10% at 3.7GHz. There's no reason why mine shouldn't attain the same with decent power. So, for that $165 dollars, a person gets a lot more bang for the buck and just as much fun turning it up. These $265 CPUs OC(ed) are comparable to the $700 to $800 FX-55 and 57 AMD processors (though they can be OC(ed) as well, a person is paying to start high end).

You mentioned graphics. With the ATI Radeon X850 Pro running on my system, I have all the graphics power I need. I can't imagine anything being [bold]100%[/bold] better. If it gets a lot better, then you're looking at PCIe and the dual GPUs. There you're paying almost enough to build another PC for some top end setups. I don't even have the top end AGP graphics card either. For another $100 or so I could have done better. I person has to draw the line somewhere though.

Just think. For $165 US theonejrs could have had a superior system that he could have OC(ed) to even higher levels with superior performance and had bragging rights for a single core processor along the lines with Scubabud's system. Now he's waiting for a dual core to try to compete with Sophocles. Now he'd have to spring for that full $265 to get the 3.4 Northwood performance. Then he could try to sell that Prescott to see what he could get out of it (in order to help defray costs). Since Northwoods are becoming rare, he might actually sell it. ;) The Northwoods are old tech, but for a single core, it's fun to play with and a lot of performance for the money invested.

For about $365 dollars (mobo and CPU) I have a custom that can be easily upgraded to a dual core system for the price of another mobo, GPU, and CPU. That $365 is just the cost of the parts I have to replace, not total cost, plus I have a use for those parts elsewhere. So, when I get some bucks to expand, I'll be able to give the kids a good PC as a gift and keep a 3.4GHz system as a backup while upgrading to dual core. That's a lot of fun playing around with the parts, plus the kids get a good gift in the mix. Gotta have somewhere to send those old puters. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
  14. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

brobear

You know, to make a long story short, i built a computer for my wife.
    We use the same IC7-G ABIT MOBO. she has the 3.06 533 fsb... I have the 3.2 prescott 800fsb. using DVD X COPY WITH ANY DVD on both computers. I decode about 30 seconds faster from start to finish. But games are another thing!!! i am playing godfather.. really cool.

I think I need to bench her computer.. but I can never get on hers!!!lol

15. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I still think the kentsfield will bring intell out of the basement. I guess we shall wait to see.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The proof's in the pudding. I'll wait for decent results to be convinced on this one.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

To paraphrase Sophocles, when I get ready to build, I'll use the best CPU available at the time (that I can afford). I don't care if it's Intel, AMD, or another. I don't see the "another" in the mix though. ;) Intel was in the lead only a few years ago, not far behind now, and has the bucks to buy their way back to the top. It's all about bragging rights and market shares. So, if we're lucky, we'll see all the nice competition continue for the longest. The winner at the time I go to buy is the one that gets my money.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2006
  18. brobear

brobear Guest

baltekmi
    To each his own, but I still don't see why people are using those when the 800MHz FSB Northwoods were (and are) available. 0.14GHz isn't a lot of difference in processing power, even with the difference in FSB speed. As you noted, you only notice a change in gaming. Were you to pick up about 400MHz with the better architecture of the Northwood, you would notice some impressive time differences when doing things like encoding movies with RB. Gaming would probably be noticably better as well, but you'd note improvements with just improved CPU speeds. As I said, to each his own. It's all about personal preference and what catches a person's attention when they go to buy.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Should improve memory benches though shouldn't it?

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.