1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Problem is, by then they'll no longer be high end!

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Some things don't come down in price very quickly, even when old tech. Priced a 2MB L2 Cache 3.4GHz P4 Northwood lately? They're still over $700 most of the time. In fact unless one finds a bargain, the 512K version is rather expensive. One gets lucky and finds sales and used items. Even the FX-55 is still selling for $800 or more.

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Remember when a loaded Pentium Pro Machine with SCSI drives cost $4,800 from Gateway and a Baracude SCSI 9 gig HDD cost over $2,000 back then.

Today's prices are a bargain! <G>

4. brobear

brobear Guest

LOL Scubabud... you've let everyone know how old you are. ;)

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Sophcles had an old Northwood at 3.2 ghz. His Venice single core cut his CCE encode times in half. Not exactly what I call keeping up for the P4.

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Since the operating frequency is 2.66GHz for that CPU, that's one heck of an OC to get it up to 3.5GHz. Is that with nitrogen? It is cheap though.

8. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

What do you think would be a good Frequency to OC a 3.2 ghz P4?

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,

There are some high-end processors available for that price now!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584

How about a 175 Opteron with the Denmark core for $506. $461 for the OEM version. Check Sophocles benchmarks and see what it can do. It's a lot better than some so called "High-End" CPUs!

Or how about an Athlon 64x2 4400+ with the Toledo core for $463!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103546

I certainly wouldn't call either of these "Old Tech"!

Even the lowley??? Pentium D Smithfield 3.0 Dual-Core for socket 775 is on sale for $267 at Newegg!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116212
    Makes me wish that I had bought a socket 775 MB instead of the 478. But then again, look at all the fun and the learning experience that went with it I would have missed. I'm very pleased with what my 3.0 Prescott will do. I can't wait to get into a Dual-Core AMD and apply some of that knowlege to tweaking it!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  10. brobear

brobear Guest

tocool4u
    Normally 10% is a good level with a good air cooling system. So, about 3.6GHz should be a stable level for the system, if you have a system that supports the OC.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  11. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Yea i am thinking about..Can you tell by my specs?

They are in my sig
    I have this program called AI Booster...Isn't that a program i can use to OC..Or should i do it in the BIOS

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  12. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

I am still waiting to see the specs of the kentsfield intel chip.
    3.6 is good place to be. I've had her up to 3.75, and things get a bit weird. But 3.5 or so with good air will keep you solid.
    Brobear, Now that i have read a lot of your post, you are not really a grump, but the voice of reason. You do weigh in both sides and give valuable information!!

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

aabbccdd,

480 watts is more than enough. I have a 480 watt PS as well and it runs my Intel which is less efficient and more power consuming than the current AMDs. I also have 6 fans + the fan on the video card, a DVD Rom, a DVD burner, a CD burner and my hard drive all running off of it with no power problems what so ever! The bonus is that you won't need so many fans with the AMD and it will run a lot cooler. The 175 Denmark will put you right up there with Sophocles.

By the way, I could have put the Core-Duo in the listing as well but I understand that it isn't much of a chip. Sort of slapped together to compete in the Dual-Core arena. Also they are much slower than the AMDs, even at the same clock speed. Also their FSB is only 866 Mhz. I would buy a 3.4 Northwood or a 3.6 Prescott first and be better off in the process. From what I am able to see, the 3.6 is the best of the Prescotts. Intel also makes a 3.8 Prescott but the 3.6 is the better and faster chip, even with the smaller cache (512)! It just has a lot more headroom as the 3.8 is pretty much at it's limits stock. Most OC forums I've visited recomend the 3.6 over the 3.8 for this reason. A reasonable 10% OC will get you pretty close to 4.0 (3.97) with a minimum of fuss if you have a decent CPU cooler and good memory. I have a friend of mine that runs his 3.6 at 4.14, with no problems. Unfortunayly the 3.6 only seems to be available in socket 775!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  15. vspede

vspede Member

I'm no expert so don't yell at me but I actually heard that you need atleast 500W, especially if you have more than 3 fans and a DVD-R.

This is pertaining to if you have a PCI-Express video card. From what I've read, they tend to draw a lot of power.

16. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

vspede,

I have 2 120MM, 3 80MM and 1 92MM fans in my case and had no power problems, even with the original 400 watt PS that I started out with! Just to see for myself, I ran all 3 drives at the same time in different windows and watched the voltages in Asusprobe. There was no drop in any of the voltages which is the first hint of not enough wattage. If there was, I would have concluded that I needed a bigger, higher wattage PS. It's been in this configuration for over 8 months, so I think 480 watts is more than enough.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

17. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

and its a TruePower480Watt PS which is a very good one so i will go with theonejrs advice BTW guys this is the best thread on aD

18. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Ok,I got my CPU PC OC'd at 10% so now it is running at 3.6

What kind of things should i watch for while i am testing out my OC.......Besides my CPU temp

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

smoke coming out of your case lol !!!! and a whining noise or a burnt smell

20. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Dam it's 3:30 in the morning and i have to get up at 6........Uhh.

I do more with it later today thanks for the info..I'll check if my Case is smokin :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.