1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vspede

vspede Member

my system is on fsb 800? But my Mobo specs says its 2000 (really 1000).

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm Back!!!

I went and did some more looking, only this time I had a few friends look too. To them it was a no brainer. Without asking, all said that it was not the same pic. They all felt that the 7800 pic had been doctored. The start point on the left side of the screen is exactly the same, yet the angle of the walls are different. Follow the yellowish fat line down the wall and you can clearly see the difference as you go forward. I didn't even notice that. Also at the very begining of the tunnel you can see something on the left side of the entrance wall that isn't there on the ATi pic. On the right side of the tunnel entrance wall, near the top there are 3 dark areas that don't appear on the ATi pic. I didn't coach them but just asked them to see what differences they could find. These are their observations, not mine. Only one of them noticed the text, but to a man they all said that it isn't the same pic. Either that or it had been doctored!

Again, I'm not trying to make a case for one video card over the other as they are both excellent cards. The three gentlemen in question are all Dentists and their eyes are much keener than mine, and in their profession they are used to looking for very small details. One of them even whipped out a Boley Guage (sort of a small, very precise ruler) to measure the differences. To a man, they all felt that the 7800 pic had been deliberately tampered with to make it appear worse!!!

I rest my case!!!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm always curious as to how comparisons are presented to the test panel. Sometimes a person inserts little messages to their panel without meaning to. When doing any such comparisons, it should be put into a blind and have different photos as well as the 2 you wanted inspected. Also, don't let anyone know why they're being checked out. You've already tainted your test pool. Can you find another? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2006
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    There are aspects of the 2 pictures that vary and if one notices, in favor of both. However, the most noticable fault at normal resolution is with the blur of the lines in the GT photo. But if one looks to the other side of the tracks, the fence is more defined in the GT photo. Also at the top of the XL photo to the right of the [H], there is an anomaly not present in the GT photo. As I said, minor things that can be seen to favor both, but the worst fault still lies with the GT at native resolution.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2006
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't see any difference in the lettering, and besides, how is that a fair comparison? You're looking at different letters! That's like looking at a rock on a 7800GT and the sea on an X1800XL and pronouncing, "oh the sea looks better so the X1800 must be better".

With the naked eye that people play games with (funnily enough) I see no major differences other than the one I pointed out.

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

All I asked was for them to look at both pics and spot any differences. I didn't tell them what is was all about. I didn't show them the pic in AD, I showed them the image that I had saved and asked them to spot the differences. as far as the text goes, they were made with the same text generator from some graphics program like AseeDsee or PS7 and added to the pics to show which was which. The text should be exactly the same and it's not. The only meaningful question they asked was if I could make it bigger and I told them to press the + key on the numeric pad. I was in the kitchen making a pot of coffee at the time! After they pointed out what they saw different and were done I told them what they were looking at and why. That's when the coments about it not being the same pic or had been "edited" surfaced. Like I said before, I didn't snap to the fact that the perspective was somehow different, although one it was pointed out to me, I realized they were right. Another thing they mentioned or rather asked was why they appeared to be different pics since they were supposed to be the same. You can clearly see the difference in angles as you look at them, even in native size. The text difference (my eyes are not as good as theirs) was why they asked for magnification. As you increase the size the blue text looks more out of focus betwee the 2.

theonejrs

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

I believe that I posted a link to a second testing and it too stated that the ATI card had better video qaulity. I think that you've already searched the net trying to find a conatradiction and since you don't seem to have found one the still shots must be true.

Below is the link that verifies ATI's 1000 series cards video superiority over Nvidia's current releases. BTW, extreme tech is a reputable tech site.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1916973,00.asp

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

And I'll take that from you Sophocles. I may not believe someone with "newbie" under their status, but I'm wise enough to know you don't mess people around!

I don't really see how you'd get these pics exactly the same though, It's a still shot taken from a game, not just displaying a still shot or we'd all see it differently. Given that someone's had to match these up by running the game twice, I can't see how you'd get it 100% identical anyway. As for the text I'm not sure what's happened there, maybe by chance they used a different program to add it in. That may alter the image slightly, but not to the extent of causing that slanted wall glitch.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

I suspect that the entire scene showing the bricks fading into the distance is the same throughout all of the frames that show it. The real gain with ATI is its ability to de-interlace video. That means that any video that is broadcast on TV, DVD with interlaced video and that's everything that was made for TV first and then moved to
    DVD video.

Nvidia has produced cards that have produced better video than ATI but most often for video quality ATI has won. A lot of ATI's video superiority probabl stems from their experience with TV tuners and ATI's all in wonder cards.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, I was going to say, you don't see anything other than standard Vivo on nvidia cards. I don't know what the QuadroFX cards are like, but they don't sound particularly multi-purpose. Besides, ATi have the FireGL AS WELL as their Avivo and all in wonder creations. I don't really see the point in having 4-5 extra frames per second for the sake of a lower quality picture.

11. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To all,

I agree that the ATi pic looks better and I am going with an x800 pretty soon. I just can't pass up free TV and Vivo. I've been doing a little hands on with both cards, although stores tend to limit how long you can play with their computers before a salesman starts trying to sell you something. I do like the graphics on both cards. While I don't thing they are equal as each of them have their own little quirks or trade offs. Like I said I would be happy with either card but will go with the ATi because of the tuner and vivo included in what is esentially the same price. I'm not woried about drivers as those things are a thing of the past for each company. I'm sure I will be very happy with it.

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonjrs

If you're going with a tuner then ATI definitely the card that you want because you'll be dealing with interlaced video.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Theonejrs
    If you're getting a card to update your current system, you may want to check out the ATI 850 series. I opted for the X850 Pro for the 256MB DDR3, 4X/8X AGP ViVo (there are PCIe and AGP versions), with good quality at a decent price. Look at the pipes on that baby. LOL It's even got HDTV support.

Key Features
    Up to 16 parallel rendering pipelines
    256MB GDDR3 memory
    PCI Express® native X16 lanes support
    Direct X® 9.0 and OpenGL® 2.0 support
    SmartShader™ HD technology
    SmoothVision™ HD technology
    VideoShader™ HD technology
    HyperZ™ HD technology
    3Dc™ Support
    DVD video playback
    DVI display support
    S-video and composite video input and output (VIVO)
    HDTV Support

http://www.ati.com/products/radeonx850/radeonx850series/index.html

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X850XT is the absolute cream of the previous generation, which means it's super fast and yet ridiculously cheap. The PCI express version is available at newegg for $158 brand new.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

The ASUS P4P800-E has the AGP slot. Without spending a lot more money, the X850 was one of the better AGP cards available. For my needs the X850 was the best way to go. It didn't hurt that I found one at a low sale price.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, I realise yours is AGP because they only did the pro in AGP to my knowledge (I think, though i may be wrong). However I'm assuming theonejrs may have PCI express.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

cheers that makes me feel great!
    Nah, just kidding, I know, i said
    in my post.

How would the X850 Pro compare to the X1800XL? The latter is only $50 more, and i'm just curious, so I know what to recommend to people. Appreciably the X1800 does SM3.0 and the 850 only 2.0b but one wonders what the performance difference is.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Well there were only 2 options, right or wrong. I just let you know which you'd chosen. ;) As for the comparison with the X1800, all I can suggest is cross referencing the specs on the ATI site. I've not seen any comparisons fo the 2. http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1800/index.html

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

I went to Newegg, but all they have in the 800 or 850 series is PCI Express. No AGP. I can find refrences to it but no actual cards. Partly I blame Neweggs\'s new interface which is not near as good as the old one. I can find the All in Wonder X800 AGP for $299, but is this the same thing. I would like something with 256 or 512 MB DDR. Do they make anything like that??? Is this what I'm looking for?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102492
    I don't know jack about ATi's numbering system and it is very confusing. nVidia's numbering system is much better as the higher the number, the better the card. I gather that the X1600 is not as good as the X800-XT???

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.