1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatUp

WhatUp Member

Hi I would like to add the debate with a link for AMD vs Intel :). I think both are great but my claim is if you are a custom builder or have any influence in your corporation you must foster competition because Intel without AMD is like Microsoft without Linux, Aple, Unix etc.

Here the link to the article that I found very interesting: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1833676,00.asp

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Dear Sophocles and Brobear,
    I want to thank you for all your help. I went out today and bought some PC3200 memory. It's PNY Optima. It's the best that I can afford right now but what a difference it makes. This thing rocks! I played around with the overclocking but in every instance it cuts the memory bandwidth. When I run Software Sandra and set the comparisums to the chipset/memory, cpu, hard drive and lan connection of my computer the red completely covers the blue. In multi-media and arithmatic it well exceeds the blue. The memory now runs at 400 and the difference in speed is amazing. Even my encoding times have decreased! Once again, many thanks to you and everyone who took the time to help me. If I can ever return the favor, just ask.
    Sincerely,
    theonejrs

3. brobear

brobear Guest

theonejrs
    Glad things are looking up. Things change and I like browsing the trades to see some of the new tech coming our way. Computer Power Users (CPU) is one I like browsing (check the links I provided earlier, they're online as well). Magazines don't tell you everything you need to know, but there are some interesting articles on CPUs, chipsets, and MoBos. Browsing can give you enough info to give you more direction for your questions.

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All (I don't want to slight anyone),
    I've played around with the settings in the setup and the best combination seems to be running the 3.0 at 3.15 with turbo on. My FSB becomes 4x210 840MHz and the memory becomes 2x210 for a 420MHz data rate. Any other settings degrade the memory speed to 266MHz. There is a program on the disk that came with the MB called AI Booster which has a 7% setting but I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to run like this for a few days and see how it goes. According to Sandra, the current performance exceeds the stock in every catagory with a very wide margin in multi-media and math. I'm open to suggestion!

Russ "theonejrs"

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

Sometimes it's better to sacrifice a bit of memory speed in favor of CPU speed which will in effect make your memory speeds faster. For example my first over clock gave me a front side bus speed of 220X5 hyper transport for a total of 1100 MHz (effectively 2200 MHz front side bus)speed. My memory bandwidth with Sisoft was 5253 mb/s with a command rate of 2T. I dropped my Hyper transport speeds from 5 times to 4 times and then raised my front side bus speed to 242 times a hyper transport of 4 which give me a front side bus of 960 (960 times 2 is effectively 1920 MHz)but with a command rate of 1T. With those settings my memory benched with sisoft rose to 6876 mb/s which is almost a 15% increase. On top of that my CPU speeds went from 2.4 ghz to 2.64 ghz which is a CPU over clock increase over a previous over clock of over 9%. My over all memory gains over stock was 41.4% and for CPU it was 17%.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All i can really say to that for the moment would be:

eyyyyyyy

So how does lowering the hyper transport setting work then?

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

sammorris

You don't with the AMD Barton core which is what you have, but the point is that adjustments have to be balanced to maximize. With the Barton core you should have access to both clock speed and front side bus adjustments depending on your motherboard. I made a system for my son using the Athlon XP 2500+ and it's over clocked to a 3200+. The key ingredient was using memory that was higher rated than the systems requirements of PC2700. I used CAS2 PC3200 which is back compatible and because it is rated higher than the systems demands it was an easy over clock.

8. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To sophocles,
    This is what I get with SiSoft.
    Memory Bandwidth benchmark 9893
    File system Bandwidth 50336
    Network bandwidth 10324
    CPU Arithmatic Bandwidth 12839
    CPU multi-media 51589
    Combined performance 3390

This is at 5% with the turbo turned on.

Don't quite know what to make of these numbers.

Russ "theonejrs"

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

SiSoftware Sandra

Display on Screen
    Connection : Local Computer
    Device Type : Desktop

CPU Arithmetic Benchmark
    Analysing...
    Combined Index : 12850 (total)
    Finished Successfully : Yes

CPU Multi-Media Benchmark
    Analysing...
    Combined Index : 51587 (total)

Memory Bandwidth Benchmark
    Analysing...
    Combined Index : 9891 (total)

File System Benchmark
    Analysing...
    Combined Index : 50419 (total)

Network/LAN Bandwidth Benchmark
    Analysing...
    Combined Index : 10310 (total)

Combined Performance Index Wizard
    Combined Index : 3392 (total)

Sophocles,
    I had to figuire a way to post these to you. I copied the clipboard to Notepad and then copied and pasted it to the message. The above is what I got last run! Looks pretty good to me.

theonejrs

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Show me a screen capture of it. And make sure that you also get a screen capture of your systems specs. Edited to remove unnecessary harsh word.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  11. 64026402

64026402 Active member

What Sophocles is saying is the text info given does not directly corrospond to the actual test window as shown above.
    To be usefull you would need to post a similar screen shot.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

What I'm saying is that the spec's that he posted for his system can't hit the bench marks that he posted.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  13. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The combined results are likely double the actual individual test results, putting them more in line with expected.

14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Yeah, 9891 is about what you get from the pc3200 ddr dual channel Intel reference if adding both the benchmarks. Int and floating together.
    The funny thing is when I copy to text it shows the seperate tests unlike above.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,

I sent you a private message. It's 9:30 here and I'll be up for a few more hours!

Russ

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I wouldn't really want to overclock this current system for various reasons.

1. Even with a good heatsink the CPU temperature can reach 63ÂșC.
    2. My RAM was cheap and although it is PC3200 running at 333mhz, i wouldn't want to raise it.
    3. All the components in my PC are war-wounded after being subjected to a power surge that a Qtec Power supply created, thus if i give them any more than they're designed for, who knows what could happen.

I'm aware Hyper transport isn't supported on my core, but i was asking from a curiosity point of view, since in the future i may buy an Athlon X2 system.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you look closely at the sisoft benchmark you'll see a 3.8 GHZ Prescott and it's barely hitting 10,000 let alone 12,000.

[​IMG]

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Holly crap! There's no way that this overclock ran stable. Tomshardware.com once broke 5 GHZ using liquid Nitrogen for cooling but this can't be real.

[​IMG]

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah it is. it's easily possible, but the trouble is, if you use liquid nitrogen for anything more than a gimmick, a) it is obviously very costly and b) the legs on the CPU become so brittle they break. Possible, but ludicrous.

Oh and also, you'll note that at 5Ghz, the system didn't run stable, they downed it to a lower but still impressive 4.2 or 4.3 for stability.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hitting high numbers does not equal usable stability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.