1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altkon

altkon Member

here is what I have...
    M/B P4 ALBATRON PX845PEV PRO-LAN/AUDIO
    C.P.U. P2300 MHZ CELERON BOX 400/128K S4
    Memory 256 MB DDR DIMM PC2700-333 LEFETIM
    HDD 40 GB WESTERN 7200RPM - 8MB CACHE (JB
    SET MS WINDOWS XP HOME OEM GREEK v.
    Can some one tell me how my OS stands
    against AMD ???
    It takes allmost 2 m. to reboot at start up, and very slow in encoding.
    How I can upgrade it to work faster??
    Thanks
    altkon

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

first off how many programs are running at startup?click start ,click run ,type in msconfig and turn off what you dont need to boot your system up. second you need more memory at least 512mb and a better CPU would help your times

check your drives and make sure there in DMA mode NOT in PIO mode this slows down your encoding time to a crawl not to mention its hell on your machine ,you can check to make sure your in DMA mode in device manager or use this guide

http://bbmayo.home.comcast.net/FAQ.htm

using good software to transcode your dvds help lots to i recomend clonedvd 2 with anydvd, with this program i can transcode and burn a dvd in about 11 to 12 mins. for a shorter movie and 20 to 25 mins. for a longer movie

3. altkon

altkon Member

Thanks to your prompt reply.
    Tried to locate DMA settings from Device Manager without sucess.
    Could not locate the the entry.Appreciate if you could guide me how to do.
    Then entered bbmayo site as recommended by you,hit on the 'checking/changing" link of the site, page retreived showing "checking DMA/pdf", but after having awaited for almost 10 minutes nothing happened.
    Should I abandon efforts.??

4. sytyguy

sytyguy Regular member

5. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Baltekmi,

I'm pretty sure the bear is part of the republican guard. Not that this is a political arena.

As for the Kentfield 4 core, if one ever comes out we will pit it agaist the latest AMD 4 core. Until next year it's just jabberwaky.

Your old P4 and single old Nvidia card are OK but your definately a few generations out of date if you wish to run the latest games at the higher resoultions.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

baltekmi

I'm not even sure if borbear has a left arm! Take care what you call the bear.:)

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

We used to call things like Intel's Quad Core "Vaporware"! They haven't got their act together as far as Dual Cores go yet. All we've seen is one very slanted Conroe test. Everything else is being stomped on by AMDs. Considering the wattages involved with the Pentium Ds and their heat issues while AMDs 64x2s use 45 watts less and are way more efficient. Then again I guess we could all barbecue while we compute! Let's face it, Intel is finally learning what real competition is!

I read an article the other day about some temps for their dual-cores with water cooling. I'm not impressed with idle temps of 50C and highs in the high 60s. add to that the fact that the Pentium Ds are slow compared to lower clocked AMDs running on air! AMD has gone from a "me too" chip maker to the forefront of technology and I'm pretty sure that they intend to stay there!

AMD just this past week introduced the Opteron 185 which is insanely priced at over $1000. It's also insanely fast! Mind you, this is still the present technology. While it does have some improvements in memory control there's really nothing new but rather a progression of what they already have. It's in the 90 watt range so heat shouldn't be an issue. I doubt that the 135 watt Conroe will be able to touch it. This isn't "vaporware" as it's available right now in socket 939!
    http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...ore_Code=M&Product_Code=120305&AFFIL=FRG&NR=1
    Intel needs to dump the Prescott core and completely re-design something more efficient. What's next from them, a liquid nitrogen kit with a bottle bolted to your console?

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

8. brobear

brobear Guest

aabbccdd
    If you're going with DDR 400 (PC3200) you should use the Cas 2, which has a better timing of 2-3-3-6. For a few dollars more, you can get the better Corsair memory. Don't expect the rebate any time soon. Several months later and I think it's time to contact them about it.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145574

Baltekmi, The Donald, and Sophocles
    I try to be democratic without being affliliated with a political party. As far as politics, neither camp is terribly fond of my leanings. Seems I'm too far left for the right and too far right for the left. ;) I suppose that's why I'm disoriented most of the time, my left is where my right should be and my right where my left should be. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2006
  9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

thanks brobear on the link i can save that when iam ready to get the 175 Opteron ,now which is my best bet for a motherboard

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Brobear,

As far as the right or left, if their mouths are moving their both still lying not to mention their being disoriented most of the time as well! LOL

Do you have the 500 Watt PSU installed and have you tried some new settings for O/C yet?

12. brobear

brobear Guest

aabbccdd
    Here's something you may want to consider for use with the AMD Opteron, though it's a bit pricier.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145594

It's hard to beat Asus for a mobo. Theonejrs and Sophocles went over that just recently. This month's PC World did an article on selecting a board. It wasn't being AMD or Intel centric. Asus got a good plug. The thing I found interesting was choosing according to design as well as chip support. Sometimes things get covered that shouldn't.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Scubabud
    And the hell of it is I'm usually caught in the middle. LOL

I got the 550W Antec installed. I took the CPU past 3.7 GHz and it started getting unstable. That was with the same settings you said you were using. It's definitely not anything to do with heat. The CPU never goes above 40-42C, even when doing hours of encoding at about 80% CPU usage. I backed it down to about 3.68 and it still had a bit of trouble encoding. I seemed to be dropping more frames and the sizing was off a bit (not sure if the sizing was the movie or not). When I backed it off to 3.6GHz the system did the encoding perfect. Since I'm more interested in the best quality of the encodes than top end speed, I'll probably leave it there till I learn more about OCing.

When comparing the benches, the difference between Multi Media at 3.74GHz and 3.66GHz wasn't very large. Only a few hundred when talking numbers like 29000 it/s Integer and 40000 it/s Floating Point. So, for encoding the lower setting is the one I've found best for my system. As I said, I've got some more learning to do. ;)

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Mine can't do over 3.74 and be stable and like you mentioned, heat has never been an issue as well. It's been nearly 2 years at this setting and running 24/7 for the most part, I can't complain.

I'm going to wait until Intel makes available it's newest chips along with what AMD is sure to unveil at that same time before I do any new builds. <G>

15. brobear

brobear Guest

I think a lot of people are waiting to see how the next batch of Intel and AMD processors compare. I wish they'd hurry and bring on the Conroe and new AMD releases. Maybe they're wanting to compete with the summer movies in Hollywood. ;)

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

altkon, with the celeron CPU it's a low end intel CPU and consequently will take seemingly forever in encode times. With upgrades it all depends what you do and how much you want to spend. If affordable I'd thoroughly recommend changing to a Socket 939 Athlon64 PC. These start from as little as £150 / $250.
    Brobear, although that OC is a bit disappointing, considering how fast the chip runs stock I think you've done alright.
    As for intel and their futures, I can see it being at least the generation after this next milestone before the five beat jingle will be on top again, if they ever are.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Even if Intel doesn't deliver as claimed, that still means AMD should drop some prices due to new releases. I'm not the fanboy for either side.

I agree, the OC was a bit disappointing, but when you are playing with one of the highend chips, you have less headroom. I learned some things in the process and noticed some changes may look impressive as far as speed goes, but the bench results aren't as shattering. I've also learned I need to learn more about the OC process itself, as far as getting things balanced to work properly.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hey I'd be satisfied with that!

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

I don't see why anyone is waiting. Conroe isn't going up on the block until 2007. That's a lifetime for computers nowadays.
    If your like brobear you might have already done your build for the year.
    But anyone in the mood to build can have some tremendously powerful processors for very inexpensive.
    Intel may be behind but if your an Intel guy their dual cores are not that bad.
    And if you just want the fastest then AMD has plenty of choices.

Next year we start all over again with the Conroe and the all new AMD 24 core 20 watt superchip.

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Brobear,

Always carry a mirror and you will be "all" right!!! He He

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.