1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X800 will be better, trust me.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Though the Pro isn't as top line as the XT, it's nearly $100 (or more) less expensive. http://www.isquaredinc.com/ATIRX850Pinfo.html I picked mine up at about $250 with all the cables and installation DVD included. That find doesn't help much for Canada though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
  3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  4. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I used to use Powerstrip when it was the only means to over clock a card with but I got annoyed by the fact that most of the features were neutered unless you purchased the full retail version. The Omega drivers include apps that do everything that the retail version of Powerstrip does and more for free. They Omega drivers are optimized drivers for gamers and test after test have shown that they generally outperform ATI's default drivers.

It has features that allow you to over clock your card and it can be set to load those features on startup if you want and I recall that you have to reset powerstrip each time you boot up. It includes advanced display features for all types of adjustments. You can use them to make anti aliasing and anistrophic adjustments to just to name two. So if you haven't tried it then give it go, and there are versions for both ATI and Nvidia based chips.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I'll definitely have a look in.

6. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Thanks Sophocles, I'll take another look at that Omega.
    I don't use Powerstrip. I don't O/C my Radeon, but have a coupla ways I can do it if I want.
    I had ATI Tool, played with it and tested, but it's uninstalled now.
    I learned my core will O/C about 5%, not bad, but my pathetic video memory is barely holding on @ stock DDR rate, LoL!
    I just have 9600XT (w/ 256MB cheap memory) right now, stock memory is 300MHz/600DDR.
    @ Deadrum33
    Thanks much for that link - I've heard about that but to get specific info so quick is splendid :^) It's what aD is about.
    Re: Shader v/2 ATI boards, my guy doesn't stock 'em anymore - they're 'extinct'. He keeps the X850XT-PE for wealthy gamers and that's it.
    The joke is: the X800XT is serious board, it has all the pipelines and shaders (many!) that the 850 has, it's just lesser memory and easier timings, but not bad. That X800XT AIW is a great board, and good for the price. Even if you don't want the AIW so much it's good to have. But I mean the AIW-part is just bonus because it's a basically solid board.
    Forget the shader v/3 thing, I'm good with the X800. Hey that thing comes with a remote doesn't it...? LoL
    It would beat the hell out of the X1600 anyway, and I think the GeForce 6800 too. But I don't need AIW, I just need Video In.
    I could get the Geforce 6800 and save money (I'm cheap). Maybe unlock the pipelines...?
    This is the final upgrade for my AGP 8x rig, I wanna taste some video technology before I upgrade my setup later this year to PCIexpress. I like the 850 Platinum Edition but the depreciation on that is nasty y'know? I'd be lucky to sell my old rig for that in a year - but I figure the AIW is good, I sell lot's of 'em, customers love the whole home-video-studio thing. I tell them it's like TIVO (everyone's heard of that) and give them the remote.
    That's the shrewd way to go, the X800XT with the remote kept factory-sealed in the bag... he heh
    Guys I want to jump Socket939 completely. Honestly I feel an Intel CPU coming on, but I'm very price-sensitive, we're going to have to see...
    Man would I love to see a new 65nm dual-core quad-thread 64bit Intel CPU that was slick and reasonably priced! I can't wait :^)
    They have giant caches (I like big caches).
    I can't remember, the last Intel I had was P233MMX. LoL but I feel one coming...

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The 256MB 9600XT I think uses elixir RAM, renowned for poor quality, hence your inadequate overclock.
    All this time and you're moving back to Intel NOW?
    Meh, go ahead, I shan't be joining you!

8. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Don't know! Gonna see...
    Jumping S939 for sure though.
    Hey Deadrum33, sorry about your shoutbox, dunno what happened there.
    Maybe you can get a Mod to fix that.
    That RivaTuner is great, guys you gotta check this out:
    http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
    Says it does nVidia too.
    L8R

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes the X800 pro that I have will reach X850XT speeds as well, including over clocked speeds. I've had my core from 450 to 562 stable and my memory from 452 to 520, the only issue was memory heat. I run it at 500 by 480 24/7 with no concern of any kind. I purchased the Sapphire vivo version because it was made to be over clocked by them, it even came with over clocking software. When buying a card it's usually best to get the retail versions for a little more money because often the OEM versions come with cheaper quality memory. An example would be the ATI 9500Pro. The retail version came with Samsung memory and the Oem version came with Hynix memory. A Samsung combo DVD/CDRW drive that I had when retail had 8 megs of cache but the Oem version had only 2 megs of cache, so it's always a good idea to do a little research before buying Oem's over retail.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I didn't know 8MB buffer DVD drives existed.
    My X800Pro's a sapphire retail, but won't accept a couple of percent overclock. Will run Direct3D fine at up to about 10% but OpenGL HAS to be stock.

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  12. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

The_OGS
    I'd go with BFG ..liftime warranty and 7/24 support

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sammorris, YES they do exist the Plextor PX-716A are 8mb cache.

14. byron02

byron02 Regular member

@Sophocles

Sounds like a philosopher doesn't it??
    Anyways, why did you go with the SATA interface with your burner? I've heard alot of people have had speed issues with them, and the drives themselves can't even burn/read faster than 21600 KB/s anyways. So why not the standard IDE??

edit: just googled sophocles:
    I forgot he was the greek who wrote the Oedipus Trilogy. My theater teacher would be upest with me right now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  15. brobear

brobear Guest

16. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

borbear did you get the draw to open on that PX-716AL yet LMAO !!

also if you dont mind link me a motherboard (Asus) that will be the best with the 175 Demark AMD dual-core we were chatting about,TY

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
  17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The A8N-SLi Premium would be good with that I'd have thought.
    I stand corrected on the 8MB buffer theory, though I didn't claim they didn't in the first place - just ignorance!

18. brobear

brobear Guest

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Deluxe is good, the Premium better with silent and more effective chipset cooling. The 32-Deluxe is only really recommended for SLi fanatics, because it puts out more heat since it has two Northbridge chipsets to achieve the 32x bus speed. The Premium has all sorts of goodies attached such as 8-port dual-controller RAID, external S-ATA ports, and all the Asus BIOS & software bundle, brimming with cables.

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

byron02

I didn't go with the SATA drive, they weren't available when I purchased mine, but I did post the wrong link and that's been corrected.

Sophists were the early philosophers and of course you're right about Sophocles, he composed plays.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.