1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Dear Sophocles,
    The software version I have is 2005.7.10.60. This is SiSoftware Sandra Lite. I removed the program and then went to the net and downloaded it again. I did this because I thought with all the playing around I did with the settings that maybe I roached something in the software. I re-installed it and ran it again doing the combined performance test. The numbers are almost identical.

I have to go to Oceanside (Computer Geeks) this morning. This is about 150 miles round trip. When I get back I will download the software from the net that you sent me. When I figuire out how to do all of this I will send you your request. I will say this in front of God and this Forum. If I am lying, I will send you the computer, yours to keep, free!!! I don't know why I get these numbers. Hell other than a performance index for refrence, I don't even know what these numbers mean. The second set I sent (28 Oct. 21:26) is a copy and paste directly from Sandra's report generated by hitting control c after the tests were finished. Donald said: "What Sophocles is saying is the text info given does not directly corrospond to the actual test window as shown above". The actual test window as shown above" are mine!!! The first set I wrote down and are out of order because I didn't realize that the tests scrool down as they run. Since I had already entered all but the last 2, I didn't go back and do it again. Once I figuired out how to cut & paste the actual results from the report I sent them along as well.

Russ

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

I don't think that you're lying but I would like to see the results. I read your results wrong and I should have been paying attention. I was assuming that you used the CPU and memory bandwidth benchmark but you were using the combined benchmark and it was my mistake for not paying attention. I've already apologized for being out of line and I want you to know that I mean it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    All of a sudden I am having problems with Sandra. Everything works but the Lan Bandwidth so I don't get it or the combined performance benchmark. I un-installed Sandra, went to the registry and removed all refrences to the program. I re-downloaded the program, re-installed it and have the same problem. If I try to run the Lan Bandwith seperatly, it crashes the program. I get a message that the program is not responding! I'm puzzled?????
    Could you please give me a step by step on how to send the .jpg file to the forum. This stuff is all new to me and I find the instructions a little confusing. Also, where can I find the system info like it is displaye in your post in the forum. I have never seen anything like the CPU-Z you posted.

Sincerely
    Russ

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I think I found the problem. I use a router so I have no ISP software in my machine. I guess the other computer that has the SBC software in it has to be on because as soon as I turned it on everything works!
    Russ

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

theonejrs

I gave you the steps for sending jpegs in my PM to you. First you capture the image and then you go to image shack @ http://www.imageshack.us/ and use the browse button to locate your image and then click host it. Copy the URL [​IMG]

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Here is the url:[​IMG]
    Let me know where I can find the system one and I will send it.

Russ

7. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Here is the url:http://img491.imageshack.us/img491/2143/315turboon3da.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Let me know where I can find the system one and I will send it. Didn't work. Lets try this

Russ

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

This should fix it.

9. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Those are the wrong benchmarks as I suspected. Open sisoft and look down to "CPU Arithmetic benchmark" and then in the same row to the right choose "Memory Bandwidth."

With image shack you did everything right but the html tags. Copy the info between and copy it between

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    I don't know what you did but it's now on the forum. As you can see I wasn't screwing around. All of the settings are for my computer. I have the P4 530E 3.0 1MB L2 cache. The chipset is 865PE w/PC3200 memory. My hard drive is an ATA100 (actually 133) Maxtor 120GB 7200 rpm. My lan connection is 100 base TX. Am I doing good?

Russ

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Do the CPU arithmetic and memory bandwidth benchmarks. Look at my previous post.

12. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Sophocles,
    Here's the benchmark you requested.
    [​IMG]

Russ

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Thanks, those are the one I was looking for.

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,
    Now that you have all the benchmarks, how am I doing? I'm happy with the computer. It seems to work the way I expected the Dell 3000 to work when I got it. I wound up being disappointed in it's performance. It was not a great improvement over the Dell Precision 420 P3 1GHz that I had previously. That's what made me decide to build one from scratch. I'm happy to see that some things never change. You can still build a better machine than you can buy, even if you custom order it. I am also happy to see that Asus still builds quality products like they did back in the mid-90s.
    My next project will be an Athlon 64. I'de like to do a 4800+ but the price of the CPU is just too high. I would also have to buy faster memory and that's something I'm in no hurry to do. Maybe an Athlon 64 3200+ would be a nice compromise. Time and money will tell.
    Please let me know what you think of the benchmarks.

Sincerely,
    Russ

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'd give it good marks for its components and the money you spent. I deleted your previous image, it was taking up too much screen real estate. LOL

17. 64026402

64026402 Active member

18. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To 64026402,
    Quick, loan me $329 and I'll buy it! Just kidding. That is pretty cheap for a dual core. I would like to do an Athlon 64 4800+ next but at this price I may just lower my standards a little bit. I think that the main problem for me would be memory. I've recently bought 2 512 PC2700 Dimms and 2 512 PC3200s. Lord knows what the memory required to support this CPU will cost. The 2700 were for my Dell which came with a P4 2.8 533fsb and 512 MB PC2700. I had read the owners manual but had forgotten that the 3.0 800fsb needed the 3200s to work right. On the other hand If I buy the Athlon 64 3200+ it's less than half the price and I can use my old memory. I'll have to think about that one!

Sincerely
    Russ "theonejrs"

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To 64026402 and all,

The good news is that Fry's has a MB combo that comes with the Athlon 64 3800+ for $349. The bad news is it's an ECS MB. Take it from me, ECS makes total junk. 6 bad ones this past year. All with strange electronic problems. All worked well at first and then the sound wouldn't work on Windows start or Windows exit. I figuired that I could live with. Wound up tieing my hard drive in knots so it wouldn't boot. All 6 (2 Intel, 4 AMD) of these boards wound up having hard drive problems that turned to not to be a problem with the hard drive at all but problems with the hard disk controller that caused problems with NTFS file tables, finally screwing up the drive so bad that it wouldn't boot. Just for fun I installed a PCI IDE card in the last one, ran Acronis 8 to erase the hard drive. Used the Maxtor CD to set it up again and it worked just fine. I'm using that same 120GB drive on this computer right now! Incidently, The Maxtor CD didn't even recognise the hard drive until I wiped it with Acronis 8! You couldn't give me an ECS! I'm not flaming but just relating my personal experience with their products. Get an Asus. They make quality MBs in ALL their price ranges.

theonejrs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.