1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brobear

brobear Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2006
  2. brobear

brobear Guest

Sniping_G
    SiSoftware Sandra lists the components in a PC. Also, you should have the info on your build sheet. Obviously you didn't build this one. What's the origin of your system? Is it a custom build or factory PC? Many of the factory PCs have a locked BIOS that won't allow the system to be OC(ed). What name pops up on the screen when you boot up? I see Asus on this one and Dell on my Dell system. The Dell has a locked board.

3. altkon

altkon Member

Scubabud ! !
    I followed your guidance, and my settings are:
    Device #0 Ultra DMA mode 4 and
    Device #2 Ultra DMA mode 2.
    I hit on OK button.And thats all I guess.!!!
    Brobear ! !
    I have the free Adobe Reader,nevertheless ...the link didnt work.
    Since my settings are OK now...do I have to insist on entering
    subject link ??? to check my settings again..
    altkon

4. brobear

brobear Guest

[bold]@altkon[/bold]

Since Scubabud got you to the settings in Device Manager, I'll go ahead and let you know how to do the change from PIO to DMA if it's slipped into PIO. Uninstall the IDE Channel that has the PIO setting and reboot. (Uninstall is available among the optioins when you right click the mouse on an item in Device Manager). The system picks the IDE Channel back up on reboot. Then check again in Device Manager to see if the change took place.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2006
  5. altkon

altkon Member

Scubabud !!
    Please correct my above mentioned settings to read as follows:
    Primary IDE channel
    Device #0 Ultra DMA mode5
    Device #1 Ultra Dma Mode4
    Secondary IDE Channel
    Device #0 Multi World DMA Mode2
    Device #1 Not available.(When set to DMA mode if available)
    For your info I have 2 Hard Disks C and D.
    Sorry for confusion.
    altkon

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

altkon

Your settings seem fine...

Primary IDE channel are your HDD's
    Device #0 Ultra DMA mode5
    Device #1 Ultra Dma Mode4

Secondary IDE Channel is your Optical Drive in DMA mode2
    Device #0 Multi World DMA Mode2

Device #1 Not available.(When set to DMA mode if available)
    The above reads that there isn't any other device on your Secondary Channel other then your first Optical Drive.

7. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

well my computer was factory manufactured called "Cisnet" ans i got that program,so wha tinfo do you want and how do i get it from Sandra

8. brobear

brobear Guest

That wouldn't be one of the Cisnet Nascar systems would it? I looked at one of the systems. It's the ATI chipset with X300 onboard graphics. I suspect it will be a locked OEM board, just from the nature of it being an economy to midline model. Sandra lists the board components. Select Mainboard Information in the Information Modules. Your board model should be listed in there. With that maybe someone familiar with the board can help you. As I mentioned though, I doubt what you have can be OC(ed).

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

They do onboard X300s now? I though it was just the 200... Hmmm, guess using proper graphics cards has seen me living under a rock!

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Seems some companies are building better onboard graphics using the ATI chipsets. You can check it out at the ATI site. It has to be cheaper to build a system with onboard graphics over the superior graphics cards. I'll just stick with the "proper graphics cards" as you say.

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

upgraded somewhat guys per my sig .till i know for sure what i want/need CPU wise looking like the Opteron 175 demark is the way to go but maybe the FX-57 will see what prices do mid summer

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

an 8ms 20.1" Screen? Yes please!
    Where do you people get all this money!!!??

13. brobear

brobear Guest

aabbccdd
    I realize the FX-57 can be OC(ed), but an old $265 socket 478 P4 CPU with a mild OC to 3.6GHz is comparable and better on the Sandra multi-media benchmark in comparison to the $800 AMD FX-57 stock. The dual core FX-60 is only a couple of hundred more, about $1000. Considering that the dual core Opteron 175 sells for about 300 dollars less than the single core FX-57 ($506 at NewEgg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103584 ) and the Opteron dual core can outperform the single cores hands down, the writing is on the wall. It's your decision and I wouldn't try to sway you. If you have the kind of money to spend on the FX-57 or 60, I'm looking for a new rich friend. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2006
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The FX-57 is a very short-sighted CPU. If you must have the very best performance for about 6 months, go with it, but eventually you'll see, one by one, all the dual cores come flying past it, first the FX-60, then a few others, and eventually the little old 3800 and 4200.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Stock benches show the FX-57 performing below the dual cores. I sure wouldn't go with an FX-60 when I can have the Opteron 175 at half the price. I don't see much need in building a single core system nowadays when the dual cores do so much better, with many at reasonable cost.

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep indeedy.
    I know this will be the rough estimate to end all rough estimates, but how far would you think you can overclock an X2 4200+ using standard Kingston RAM?

17. brobear

brobear Guest

;) Not as far as you could if you used quality C2 performance RAM. I know, kill the smart arse. LOL As far as how far also depends on the mobo and chipset. But particulars would have to come from someone better at OC(ing) than me. I'm a novice at it compared to Sophocles and some others here.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

yeah, appreciably.
    I'm on a bit of a budget but after reasonable (lol reasonable, I'm after an X1900XT!) performance.
    I've picked out Kingston CAS2.5 RAM (so presumably that can be dropped to 3 to get a bit of extra speed) to go with either:
    Abit KN8 Ultra
    or
    Asus A8N-E
    Both I believe use the nForce 4 ultra, I'm making sure I have plenty of cooling, so that won't be an issue.

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

My Sceptre X20 Naga III was $400 (USD) and it's a 20.1 8ms 1680x1050. That's not much more than a good high quality 19" CRT. I just save my money and shop sales for a lot of computer goodies that I buy. I also build a fair amount of computers (mostly business computers) for professional people as well as having a regular job. Next project is an Opteron 175 Denmark by next month.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I was actually mentioning the VP2030 that aabbccdd seems to have recently acquired. Great though that sceptre screen is, I'm a 4:3 man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.