1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel P4 vs AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brobear, Sep 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sammorris, that Veiwsonic montior VP2030b is down to 500 dollars ,had to have it lol ,one of the best montiors out there for sure

brobear iam 99.9% sure i will end up with the Opteron 175 Demark ,

2. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

sammorris,

One of the beautys of this widescreen monitor is that 4:3 looks the same as it does on my 19" CRT. It's almost the exact size too! I just set the resolution to 1680x1050 and everything seems to look all right. The only thing that looks stretched is the post screen. I assume that this is because no driver is loaded. Even when I enter the setup, everything is there with nothing really stretched off the screen.

The only relatively new game I play is Delta Force 2 and it looks as good as it does on the 19", even though it's full screen. The only change I had to make was in the game settings. I had to turn Turbo off as it was fragmenting the picture. My Colecovision games are 4:3. There is a blank screen on each side of the game screen Word, Excel and access look great and I can run 2 screens at the same time so I can do word entrys from a spreadsheet on the same screen in 2 different windows. DVDs in widescreen look terrific. I also can't say enough about the color and the color depth. I can't wait to see how it will look when I get a better video card.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

3. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

4. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

The Inquirer is not exactly "Tom's Hardware"! The "Friction" part of their by-line is probably the only true statement they ever make! The Inquirer by reputation is a s**t starter. They like to start completely false rumors and sit back and watch the fur fly and when it lands in their lap they claim that "according to their sources" they thought their information was accurate! Since they don't have to reveal their sources, they are always home free. I wonder where the Inquirer was when Intel went lock, stock and barrel with the short lived "Rambus" RDRAM!

There are many changes to come in AMD's designs. Until we have an honest review on AMD's latest technologies and see some real hardware all we will really have is speculation and guessing games.

Happy Computering,
    theonejrs

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

brobear thanks for the tip/info on the new memorey i got (CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 433(PC 3500),this stuff is amazing i can now burn "on the fly" with nero burning rom running two burner at once at 8x speed with no problems with the buffer rate at 98% or i can burn an ISO file from my harddrive and run all Three burners at the same time (8x) with no problems with the buffer rate, WOW great stuff!!!!!! Thanks !!

6. byron02

byron02 Regular member

I thought the new AM2's were going to support DDR3. Did I hear wrong, or is it just rumors?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's the first I've heard of it, at the moment the only form of DDR3 available is GDDR3 for graphics cards. I too am reluctant to believe what I see in the inquirer.

Whilst I'm sure a 16:10 monitor handles 4:3 well, for a start that monitor isn't available in the UK, and I'm not going to import one just for that, and second, since most of my games and work are 4:3 (with the exception of UT2004 - that's running 16:10 and looks fine on my 19" CRT).

8. vspede

vspede Member

Hey guys, just wanted to thank all of you especially BroBear for all the help. After reading up on this thread and you guys answering my questions. I finally stopped using Asus AI OC program and did it myself. I pushed my PC up to 2.6 Gigs. Heres how. Tell me what you think and let me know if I can improve on it.

I have an Asus A8n-SLI Mobo
    AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
    Zalman LED Cooler Fan for CPU
    Microstar 600W Power SUpply
    Corsair Valueselect Ram 1 Gig
    Geforce 6600 GT Pci-E x16

Heres what I did so far.

Cpu - 260 MHZ
    Multiplier x10

So far it all seems stable. CPU Temp is idle at 34C and FSB shows 1039. But heres my question.

Do I have to do anything with the voltage? I'm kind of grey on that area. I left it Auto in the Bios and Asus Probe II shows it at 11.65 V. Should I "not" leave it at auto in the bios?

I also saw in the bios that I can change PCI E Clock frequency. RIght now its at 100 mhz. Whats a good value for that?

Also Do I need to change timings on RAM? I don't know much about it so any help would be appreciated.

And how high do you think I can go for a stable load? Thanks so much for the help. As you can see I seriously need it.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd personally leave the voltages and the PCI express clock alone, the differences will probably be minimal and you're not looking at much of a boost. RAM timings are useful, if you have CAS2.5 or CAS2 RAM, change the CAS timing to 3 and up the other values slightly and you may be able to get the fsb higher.

10. byron02

byron02 Regular member

From wiki.

11. vspede

vspede Member

I don't know that much about RAM But this is what CPU-Z Told me.

Corsair
    VS512MB400

SPD Table
    Frequency 200
    CAS# Latency 2.5
    Ras# to Cas# 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    TRAS# 8

Memory Table
    Frequency 173.9 MHZ
    FSB:DRAM CPU/15
    CAS# Latency 2.5
    RAS# to CAS# Delay 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle Time 6
    Bank Cycle Time 19
    DRAM Idle Timer 16
    Command Rate 2T

What should I chagne in Bios?

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try setting the values
    Memory Table
    Frequency 200 MHZ
    FSB:DRAM CPU/15
    CAS# Latency 3
    RAS# to CAS# Delay 3
    RAS# Precharge 3
    Cycle Time 8
    Bank Cycle Time 19
    DRAM Idle Timer 16
    Command Rate 2T

13. brobear

brobear Guest

aabbccdd
    Glad to see you've got things going well. At least I'm not being booed today. LOL

Vspede
    You're welcome. As for tweaking your system, you're better off working with the others here. I'm still a novice in that department and learning myself.

14. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

I am working on an old socket A Athlon. I can't seem to identify the CPU. It says A1000AMT3B. The line below this reads ARGA0116SPEW and the line below this reads 95337530328. The MB is a new Asrock K7s41GX which I'm fixing up for my housemates daughter. Can anyone tell me anything about this CPU? I haven't dealt with jumpers for a great many years and I need to set the FSB. My choices are 200Mhz, 266Mhz and 333Mhz. Does anyone know the FSB for this CPU? Then I have to set the multiplier. I have the manual on the installation CD but it's as clear as mud. I went to AMD's site but it was no help at all.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

15. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

To All,

Sorry for the double post but I found another Athlon CPU. This one says AXDA2500DKV40, Y881757260760 AND AQXEA033LSPMW. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I get the idea that this is the faster CPU but I haven't got a clue as to FSB and the multiplier.

Sincerely,
    theonejrs

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

All i know about them is that AXDA2500 means an Athlon XP 2500+ and A1000 means an old 1Ghz chip - Thunderbird I think. I'd guess the Tbird is 200 and the 2500 is 333. As for the steppings you'd have to dig out a guide, I'm no expert.

17. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

to the guy who increased his "San Diego" Core to 2600mhz and still only have an idle temp of 34celcius, what type of case fans do you have? I think I may have installed my heatsink and thermal grease incorrectly because my idle temp that my mobo bios read is between 39-41c. I mean I haven't even gotten my computer up and running yet.

That leads me to my second question for you experts on AD. I have a Biostar T-force 6100 939 mATX mobo and I know that I installed everything correctly because I have no errors read by the onboard LED's or the mobo bios but for some reason I can't seem to load Windows XP. I read some of the postings on newegg.com that you need to install a floppy drive to be able to load Windows-which I did and yet still no load. I have to admit that I did use a copied Windows XP SP1 disk and I wonder could this be the problem? It is my copy but I can't find my original disk. Should I just purchase another fresh full version disk and go from there?

18. vspede

vspede Member

I'm using a fan called Zalman. I forget what time but it looks like a BIG CIRCLE, some people call it an open Lotus. Its also VERY heavy and you have to screw in some kind of plate in the back of your Mobo before putting it on. It also has an LED light and it looks cool. Its nto very expensive, I beleive about 30-40 bucks and its known for its slow spinning silent fans but good cooling. Max speed of this CPU fan is 2250 RPM.

My Idle at this time, (I increased it from 2.6 to 2.7) is 35-36. Apparently I found out you can stress test your cpu with this program called prime95 so I let it do that for a few hours and my full load temperature stayed at 49C and didnt go higher. Hope that helps.

Again thats 2.7 GHZ OC
    FSB is now at 1078.

My FSB Multiplier for that is only at 2x. For anyone else out there, should I raise it up? So far I hear FSB pass 1000 is bad but one guy said it was good.

Also take into account I didn't raise any voltage for anything. I left that in bios at Auto.

Voltage reading at 1.42

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You hit the nail on the head - most CD backup copies of XP aren't bootable, some not even with floppy disk. I'm afraid you'll have to buy it.

The zalman CNPS coolers that vspede tried to describe are about the best out there, despite their bulk. Well recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.